John Baker needs to be called up.... like yesterday

Ramp

Our catcher's are absolutely deplorable on offense.

In AAA, Baker is hitting .321/.407/.513 in 78 at bats with 9 doubles and 2 homeruns

How about this.

Miguel Olivo vs lefties this year: .361/.425/.611

John Baker vs righties this year: .343/.421/.567

platoon em :whistle

I think we should be carrying three catchers anyways.

I like Ramp's splits L/R but you don't want to throw away Treanor's defense and game-calling and Baker can a be good bat off the bench (in other words adios T. Linden).

Olivo clearly needs a rest. Like so many catchers they get this iron-man mentality, utlimately crashing and burning. Baker's problem is his defense. Used properly the three of them can be a plus for the team.

I agree. Would we have to put treanor through waivers to send him down to AAA?

If so, the only team that I could think that would pick him up would be the Yankees, since they're the only team AFAIK that's looking for a back up catcher.

But even then, I don't think they would pick him up due to his lack of offense.

There might be a team I'm missing but I'm pretty sure he would pass waivers if he's out of options.

I agree about wanting to keep Treanor up though, unless Baker can prove he can catch Willis/Kim(although hopefully he'll only get a few more starts)/ect well.

Olivo is getting worn out because he has to play everyday......because Treanor is the worst hitting catcher in the majors and Fredi doesn't want to play him at all. I like Ramp's idea. The Marlins have nothing to lose because Treanor sucks.

Olivo has not shown to be good when rested so don't use that excuse. Sure, Treanor sucks too, but that doesn't spare Olivo from doing his job.

Ramp, do you think this could happen sometime this year? Baker is probably not our savior but it would be nice to see someone different behind the plate.

Yea, I expect him to be up... I have no educated guesses as to when though, because you would think he would be up by now.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

well Hermida needed the whole year in AA ball... so I don't think he really compares with Willingham of 2004

That's what I was thinking too. Hermida was MUCH younger than the other two.