Which Fish will stick around?

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

A lot of the sports shows are including Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis in talks about players that could be on the move. Do any of these rumors have any truth to them?

-- John Y., Coral Springs, Fla. Rumors of Willis and/or Cabrera being possible trade-bait are nothing new. In the age of 24/7 sports talk radio, hosts often need topics to talk about and speculating about Willis and Cabrera is easy material. Keep in mind, neither is a free agent until after the 2009 season, so there is no urgency to trade either one now. The team is still pushing for a new stadium, and those two popular players are important on and off the field. A year ago, the rumors were rampant that Willis would be dealt, but if you remember, none of those reports were initiated by the Marlins beat writers. The reason is, in our daily reporting, we found out that there was no truth to any of them.

Now if the Marlins fall out of the playoff race by the trade deadline, the team may consider offers.

But the club's track record has shown, if they do move a star like Willis, they would only do so if they received tremendous value in return. It's still early and maybe talks will heat up in another month. My guess would be right now Willis would be more likely to be dealt, but only for the right package to improve the club.

The bottom line is, team owner Jeffrey Loria will be the one to sign off on anything involving either of those players.

Aaron Boone has shown that he can play on an everyday basis, do you think there will be a shot that when Mike Jacobs comes back the Marlins can move Jeremy Hermida to center and play Aaron Boone in right? Or in any other position?

-- Eugenio A., Miami

Give Boone credit for accepting the role, which is to play wherever and whenever necessary. When Spring Training opened, he made it clear to manager Fredi Gonzalez that he was ready for anything. He was willing to deal with sitting and being used as a pinch-hitter, or if necessary, he would get out on the field. Boone even came into Spring Training ready to play outfield. He ordered an outfield glove just in case. Already he has received substantial playing time, at first and third, because of injuries to Jacobs, and previously Cabrera, who strained his right oblique early in the year.

Boone is athletic and he has played a respectable first base. He probably could handle playing a corner outfield spot. The easiest to pick up would be left field, where there is less ground to cover and shorter throws, than right field. Not saying he couldn't play right field, but switching Boone to the outfield isn't in the plans.

Have a question about the Marlins? E-mail your query to MLB.com Marlins beat reporter Joe Frisaro for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content. First Name, Last Initial:

Hometown:

Email Address:

Question:

Is it my imagination or has the Marlins fielding suffered since the retirement of Perry Hill? I was a big fan of Andy Fox when he played, but is he a good choice to instruct young players on fielding?

-- Richard F., Key Largo

In fairness to Fox, he was hired late in Spring Training, and he has been adjusting on the fly to coaching at the big-league level while still learning the infielders and their tendencies. Also, Fox is filling some big shoes since Hill developed the reputation of being one of the top infield instructors in the game. Keep in mind that Hill had more than a decade worth of MLB coaching experience. Fox is new, and he's always been considered an excellent student of the game. He gets along with players and he is well-grounded fundamentally. Right now he is gaining experience.

With the Marlins needing more attendance and the large number of people from the northeast in South Florida, is it possible or logical for the Marlins to switch to the American League East? Maybe switch with the Devil Rays. Would it benefit them to face the Yankees and Red Sox? Also, do you think it would be better if they could get another bat in the lineup every night with the designated hitter rule?

-- Zach D., Coconut Creek, Fla.

The population in South Florida is about six million, and while there is a large number of transplanted people from the northeast, there are a large number of people from a lot of other places down here, too, especially with Latin roots. I've never bought into the argument that being in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox would dramatically boost attendance. Tampa Bay has a number of relocated people from the northeast, and the Rays' attendance ranks near the bottom of the league despite playing the Yankees and Red Sox at home about 18 times. The novelty of facing those two teams tends to wear off.

What will drive up the fan base is a new stadium, where there is a demand for the ticket. Playing in a football stadium, with 65,000 seats, even the biggest baseball fans don't feel pressured to buy season tickets. They know they can select any games and plenty of good seats will be available. Once there is a new stadium, the club can more effectively market itself and push season tickets. If the season-ticket base was, say, 15,000, overall attendance would wind up being very respectable. Right now, at 5,000 season tickets, the crowds always will look small because it is hard to get 20,000 walkups every night.

As for the DH, I'm a National League fan, so I think the club will be just fine with the pitcher hitting.

Why does the team keep saying it needs three years to build a stadium? In Minnesota they are pushing to get a new park done in two years.

-- Jose P., Hialeah, Fla.

The main reason is the roof. The Marlins are pushing for a retractable-roof stadium, while in Minnesota, they are building an open-air park. The third year is to account for constructing the roof.

How come some games are not televised?

-- Gabriel L., Miami

FSN Florida is the exclusive regional television partner of the Marlins. Before the season, the network announced it will televise 150 games. Of that total, 95 games are airing on FSN Florida, with the additional 55 being carried on the network's sister station, Sun Sports. Apparently, not all the state cable providers are picking up those other 55 games. The advice being given is, if fans are not receiving those other 55 games, they are encouraged to contact their local cable provider and let them know they want to see all 150 games.

I thought this was an interesting read, any thoughts?

Retractable roof?... eeh i don't know. It will surely take away from an aesthetic point of view.

While I know a roof is needed, it has always been my opinion that roofs are eyesores and are kind of distracting...especially the behemoth in Milwaukee.

Totally agree with you.. i hate the idea of a roof. I thought they would make the stadium an absolute marbel of architecture, but with a roof u are very..very limited. I wanted an open centerfield overlooking the bay or something, or something that has never been done before. Its Miami for christsakes!.. retractable roof is boring.

While I know a roof is needed, it has always been my opinion that roofs are eyesores and are kind of distracting...especially the behemoth in Milwaukee.

Totally agree with you.. i hate the idea of a roof. I thought they would make the stadium an absolute marbel of architecture, but with a roof u are very..very limited. I wanted an open centerfield overlooking the bay or something, or something that has never been done before. Its Miami for christsakes!.. retractable roof is boring.

a roof is necessary.

rain and humidity in the summers

People call me crazy, but I don't think the Marlins need a roof. When was the Marlins last postponed game due to rain? 2004?

Yes, I've been to Dolphin Stadium in the dead of summer. I've also been hassled more with rain at Mid-Atlantic parks without roofs than I have down in South Florida. The rain down there usually passes over quickly while the stuff we get up here lingers with no chance of letting up.

You are crazy....but I like your sig.

People call me crazy, but I don't think the Marlins need a roof. When was the Marlins last postponed game due to rain? 2004?

Yes, I've been to Dolphin Stadium in the dead of summer. I've also been hassled more with rain at Mid-Atlantic parks without roofs than I have down in South Florida. The rain down there usually passes over quickly while the stuff we get up here lingers with no chance of letting up.

It's not the rain, it's the threat of rain that hurts walkup.

Plus, the heat for June-July-August day games is terrible.

Exactly. It should not even be an argument whether or not the Marlins need a roof.

Plus, the heat for June-July-August day games is terrible.

I don't doubt that is what goes through people's minds, but that is a ridiculous mindset if they know from experience that it will blow over quickly. I find it hard to believe that people expect to be pampered to that degree when the most commonly heard criticism of the game of baseball is that they cease play due to inclement weather.

As for the day games...I could be mistaken, but don't the Marlins already have permission from MLB for 6 PM games to count as day games? I believe the definition of a day game is a start before 5 PM. If that isn't already in place, I'm sure it could be worked out with MLB.

If the Marlins build a CBP or PNC Park with all of the expected amenities sans roof, I highly doubt a decline in attendance on Sundays would even be felt.

I've visited a large number of what are considered to be the best new parks in MLB and the number one factor that makes them great is location. The Marlins are trying to shoehorn this ballpark in the first remotely viable place, which is a huge mistake.

Opposing teams bitched when we moved the Sunday games to 4.

Marlins couldn't show enough of a justifiable jump in attendance to mess with "get-away-day."

As for the rest, yeah, it's Miami Arena 2.0 just waiting to happen, but whatever.

I haven't been following the stadium situation closely in all honesty, but something will have to give. If the Marlins are being held back by a cost deficit, losing the roof could assist with that. If that proves to be a dealbreaker, MLB will surely try to assist to some degree. Imagine how much it would cost to air condition that beast too.

I'm personally in the camp right now that there is an extremely small number of cities that actually require a roof. And they would probably be better off with permanent structures. The idea of a retractable roof is absurd and only necessary in a privately financed stadium if someone is willing to dish out the cash.

You understand it rained three of four nights last week and the rainy season has barely begun?

You understand it rained three of four nights last week and the rainy season has barely begun?

You did realize that none of the games were delayed?... trust me, i went to all of them.

I don't think we need a roof, i rather have the stadium looking awesome, and like some1 mentioned before, there hasn't been a cancelled game since 2004.

Now people are complaining about how hot it is?... soooo!?

We have become too spoiled.

(by the way, i bring my poncho to every game just in case) :thumbup

You missed the point completely.

It's the threat of rain that has over the years (combine with the unmerciful South Florida summer sun) that have led to too many ruined ballpark experiences for too many fans. Until people know they can go to games and not be burned to a crisp, their kids dehydrated or home after midnight, or soaked, you can't expect many of them to show up.

It's the threat of rain that has over the years (combine with the unmerciful South Florida summer sun) that have led to too many ruined ballpark experiences for too many fans. Until people know they can go to games and not be burned to a crisp, their kids dehydrated or home after midnight, or soaked, you can't expect many of them to show up.

I didn't miss the point, and to an extent i agree with you. I understand that a roof is needed, but i still would not like a dome.. it just doesn't fit the south florida style.

Maybe im just being too picky, i just don't want to see another mediocre dome stadium.

Eh, the Northeast isn't much better in the summer. Hell, when I returned to Baltimore it was hotter here than it was when I was down in Florida. We don't have the humidity but our day games are still in the mid 90s.

In an ideal world the Marlins would have a roof, yes. But since nothing has budged in terms of getting the thing budged it would be the first sacrifice I would make.

It gets pretty humid in the northeast too, but the difference is night games in the northeast have nice weather (in terms of temp), whereas down here, its still hot and muggy at night.

Furthermore, as Marlins2003 said, it isn't about rain outs or even delays. Its about threat of rain, and in South Florida in July and August it rains a little every afternoon. People dont like going somewhere to get soaked, even if theres no delay.

This is a nonissue, if we get a stadium it will have a retractable roof.

Guest Festa

I've visited a large number of what are considered to be the best new parks in MLB and the number one factor that makes them great is location. The Marlins are trying to shoehorn this ballpark in the first remotely viable place, which is a huge mistake.

The Government Center site is as big or a bit larger than the site of the new Twins Ballpark.

Too bad the city is building two museums at Biccentenial Park. A ballpark would look amazing at that site.

I cannot even believe that the new stadium discussion would even consider no roof. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think the roof is as important as the stadium. Psychologically, it means a big deal to a lot of people knowing a game will start on time and not have delays upon delays.

The Government Center site is as big or a bit larger than the site of the new Twins Ballpark.

Too bad the city is building two museums at Biccentenial Park. A ballpark would look amazing at that site.

Yeah, it was outrageous how the environ-mentals yelled and screamed about building a stadium on that god-forsaken, needle-infested excuse for a park because one day many years from now, people might actually go to the park. Then those same groups turtled when the city floated plans to build museums on the site.

Bastids.

It gets pretty humid in the northeast too, but the difference is night games in the northeast have nice weather (in terms of temp), whereas down here, its still hot and muggy at night.

Furthermore, as Marlins2003 said, it isn't about rain outs or even delays. Its about threat of rain, and in South Florida in July and August it rains a little every afternoon. People dont like going somewhere to get soaked, even if theres no delay.

If u think they'll close the roof at night games and waste money on air conditioning you are out of your mind. Roof will stay open for night games.

If u think they'll close the roof at night games and waste money on air conditioning you are out of your mind. Roof will stay open for night games.

Not when its raining

The concept of having the roof will put people at ease who know they wont get soaked if it starts raining, which includes night games

Bro the only time the roof will be OPEN will be when there is NO rain and NO threat of rain.

While we can't expect this every year, the Marlins in 2006 only had one more game hindered by weather at home than they did on the road.

Six delays/postponed at home. Five delays/postponed on the road. Should fans in Washington DC, New York, and Philadelphia have the same fear of a delay?

It rains EVERY DAY in the summer in south florida. The threat of rain is there every day, people won't drive out to the park if it is raining at their house, even though it may not be raining at the stadium.