Rod Beck dead at 38

Rune

Rod Beck, who saved 286 games in a 13-year major league career, has died at the age of 38.

The cause of death is unknown at this time.

Beck, who played for the Giants, Cubs, Red Sox and Padres, was a three-time All-Star and saved a career-best 51 games with the Cubs in 1998.

THat guy in his prime looked older than 38. A really really good closer in his prime and one of the most distinct looking guys you would see. RIP

really anyone under 40 you fear suicide or homicide (although homicide is not the case here). I hope it was not suicide of course and RIP to Beck and his family and all of Baseball. I hope we find the cause out soon, though.

Not to speculate, but I think I remember that he had drug problems later in his career...

really anyone under 40 you fear suicide or homicide (although homicide is not the case here). I hope it was not suicide of course and RIP to Beck and his family and all of Baseball. I hope we find the cause out soon, though.

Not to speculate, but I think I remember that he had drug problems later in his career...

Yes, he did have drug problems. He always looked older than he was. RIP.

Guest Guest

He always tailgated before games if I remember reading correctly. Also always heard he was a great, approachable person.

Very sad news. RIP.

This is the first time a death regarding some athlete has really gotten to me...this is the first time one of my childhood heroes, someone I grew up watching play for one of my teams has died. I just think about all the times I watched him pitch at Candlestick, and now he's gone.

Shooter was one of baseball's great personalities, and he lived life to the fullest...RIP

Always liked the guy. He lived in his RV behind the park while playing for the I-Cubs in Des Moines. Would invite fans over to his trailer to drink after the game and talk about the game with everyone. Great great guy, from what ive heard.