Some trade news....

Hollyberry

I found this on Rotoworld and decided to post it.

Dontrelle Willis (Marlins) - 07: $6.45 million, 08-09: Arb. Eligible, 10: FA

Florida could conceivably trade Willis and stay in contention by getting a starter back. With the way Willis has pitched this season, it might not be a bad idea. He has a 1.58 WHIP and the worst strikeout rate of his career. Throw in some forearm problems, and he's a worse bet for the long-term than ever before. If they could get Arizona to give up Chris Young and Livan Hernandez for him, they should do it in a heartbeat.

Bait: Phil Hughes (Yankees), Mike Pelfrey (Mets), Scott Olsen (Marlins), Ervin Santana (Angels), Jon Lester (Red Sox), Kyle Davies (Braves), Matt Harrison (Braves), Clay Hensley (Padres), Scott Baker (Twins), Ubaldo Jimenez (Rockies), Dallas Trahern (Tigers), Joe Saunders (Angels), Dustin Nippert (Diamondbacks), Tyler Clippard (Yankees), Dustin Moseley (Angels)

Hughes would be worth parting with in exchange for Miguel Cabrera or Johan Santana. That's about it. He's staying. ? The Marlins could trade Olsen in order to get the center fielder they need, but they're not going to deal him for a rental. He'd be a nice piece in a Carl Crawford trade, but that's hard to envision. ? The Braves are down enough on Davies that they could move him for a rotation upgrade, perhaps in a Buehrle or Garland deal. ? Hensley has been rumored as a possibility in an Adam Dunn trade.

http://rotoworld.com/content/features/colu...articleid=28407

Hughes for Santana. Thats an interesting one. I would consider this if I was the yankees. Santana is one of the best pitchers and is 28 years old I believe. He will be good for another 6-7 seasons. Hughes looks good but there is no guarantee he turns into a Santana.

Although I rather not trade willis... if trading dontrell lets up keep cabrera, then I would do it.

Hughes for Santana. Thats an interesting one. I would consider this if I was the yankees. Santana is one of the best pitchers and is 28 years old I believe. He will be good for another 6-7 seasons. Hughes looks good but there is no guarantee he turns into a Santana.

Although I rather not trade willis... if trading dontrell lets up keep cabrera, then I would do it.

The Yankees would cream their pants for Santana.

I do agree that if trading Dontrelle means keeping Miggy then by all means do it.

Guest FishFanInPA

YES.....Trade Olsen....Please....before the propaganda machine realizes he's not as good as you make him out to be.

Hughes for Santana. Thats an interesting one. I would consider this if I was the yankees.

Haha do you think the Twins would go for this one?

I think Santana is due to be a free agent at the end of next season. The twins know if they can resign him or not. However if they know they cant resign him, this would be the only time they could get Hughes. If they wait until next year, teams wont give up as much because he will be an up coming free agent.

Honestly, outside of Miggy and Hanley, I think you could make a case that trading any of our players could be done in the name of getting better.

I agree Swift. The Marlins should only have two untouchables. I have no problem with trading young players for young players.

1) Do you guys think this guy would be available come the trading deadline or is available?

2) Would you guys trade for him and do you think the Marlins can get him?

David DeJesus ( ** Centerfielder, Lead off, Lefty, age 27,** )

2004 OBP. .360 AVG. .287

2005 OBP .359 AVG. .293

2006 OBP. .364 AVG. .295

2007 OBP .358 AVG .278

I would take him if he was available, i dont know if he is or will be. How much would he cost?

Why the hell would the Marlins want Livan Hernandez?

I read somewhere that he would bring two draft picks since he's apparently a FA at the end of the year. So essentially he would provide pitching for the remainder of the year, and then fetch us two draft picks. I think I read that on foxsports.com, but don't hold it against me.

Why the hell would the Marlins want Livan Hernandez?

I read somewhere that he would bring two draft picks since he's apparently a FA at the end of the year. So essentially he would provide pitching for the remainder of the year, and then fetch us two draft picks. I think I read that on foxsports.com, but don't hold it against me.

only if he were offered arbitration which we wouldnt do.

Trading Willis would be smart at this point.

However, it's way too early to trade Olsen unless you get a really good player(s) in return. He's still a ways away from arbitration and eventual free-agency, unlike Willis.

I think the question at this point is, can we get as much for Willis now than we could have 6 months ago? I doubt it.

Trade anyone on the roster except M.Cabs....

And hell yea i'll trade Hermida, the kid hasn't showed me anything special yet, and he looks horrible in the OF...

Thank GOD you aren't the GM then.

His on-base is almost .100 points higher than his average. He's only appeared in 38 games this year too, remember that. In my eyes, he's barely out of spring training right now. You don't let go of a swing that sweet, or someone with a ceiling that has no limits IMO.

However, it's way too early to trade Olsen unless you get a really good player(s) in return. He's still a ways away from arbitration and eventual free-agency, unlike Willis.

I think the question at this point is, can we get as much for Willis now than we could have 6 months ago? I doubt it.

And the answer is no. His stock is dropping pretty rapidly.

And the answer is no. His stock is dropping pretty rapidly.

I don't know, I still think we can get about the same nice bounty for him.

He still has all the intangibles he had 6 months ago: Lefty, 25 years old, playoff experience, no major injury history, fans love him, he has dominated in the past, good track record of success, teammates love him, will always play hard, not a rental, still is throwing hard, not to mention smaller things like he is a gold glove pitcher and he hits well...

I still want to deal with the Mariners(Adam Jones straight up would be enough) or the Mets(Gomez/Milledge+Pelfrey/Humber) for Dontrelle. Those are my favorite realistic deal.

Gomez REALLY impressed me last night while I was watching the game on ESPN. Waited on a breaking ball and hit a HR-sized bomb JUST foul, and came back three pitches later and knocked it out of the park again. Very impressive. And his speed and throwing arm are supposedly unmatchable.

Two quick comments - Hughes could be out for as long as the rest of the season if you believe some reports with leg-related injury (pushing off or landing) and as such can't be traded while on the DL. And considering the price (Cabrera LOL) the Marlins would never take Hughes as a PTBL without knowing the ultimate disposition of his injury. I don't know which is more ridiculous, this or trading Willis to the Mets, which if it happened would signal the Marlins had made a decision to move the franchise out of South Florida.

As for a comment above regarding trading draft picks, maybe some day but not today. Collective bargaining currently prohibits it.