Players We Will Trade

pierremvp1

Just to shake things up a bit, and to take a break from the daily "I'd trade Dontrelle For ?" fantasy threads, why not talk about some players that we almost certainly will trade. Like Gregg. He's done great this year, but we have the luxury of having 2 closers. Benitez seems to pitch well only for us, so we keep him. A closer can bring back plenty. Who could we get for Gregg? Or, how about Lindstrom. He's also pitched well. A set-up guy/closer can bring plenty this time of year. Personally, I'd keep Lindstrom and groom him for closer next year. But Gregg is almost certain to go IMO.

why would kevin gregg bring us anything special?

closers and setup arms for under 30 guys sell for a good amount. We could get a nice piece from Seattle or NYY for him

I think he's worth more for us. I know he went through arby this year, will we still control him after this year too? If so, no reason to trade him, as I'd expect him to be our closer going into next year too.

closers and setup arms for under 30 guys sell for a good amount. We could get a nice piece from Seattle or NYY for him

I think he's worth more for us. I know he went through arby this year, will we still control him after this year too? If so, no reason to trade him, as I'd expect him to be our closer going into next year too.

I think so too. I can't think of a realistic trade that would benefit us more than a Kevin Gregg this year or in the future. I don't think we could get a top 3 prospect from any organization for him, so I'd rather just keep him.

I think so too. I can't think of a realistic trade that would benefit us more than a Kevin Gregg this year or in the future. I don't think we could get a top 3 prospect from any organization for him, so I'd rather just keep him.

It would depend on the team that needed the arm, and what they had to offer. I do seem to remember the Marlins trading one of our top prospects for a bullpen arm in July of 2003.

Comparing Gregg to Urbina is asinine. Urbina had 200 career saves exactly when we acquired him. Gregg is on what...15?

I would say in trade value the following:

1. He can pitch in the AL He has proven that before

2. He can spot start or setup/close for a team

3. He is under team control for the next 2 years (arby 1st time this year) at least

4. He is a young high potential bullpen arm

5. The market for relievers from before to now is much more valuable.

6. This year it looks like there wont be much at all on the market

If you can turn him into a good CF prospect or a good Catching prospect that can come in and help the team?

We can replace him with:

Martinez

Kensing

Owens

Tankersly

Benetiz

Lindstrom

Sinkbeil

etc etc etc

We have a lot of potential arms that are sitting there now or a year or two away that will be good for the bullpen and rotation. But we have 2 major holes still.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I believe Benitez will be "our guy" for the next few years. It satiates Beinfest's desire for an experienced name at the back end, and he clearly wants to be here and no place else.

Plus, given his continued success in our park, I can't fault it in the least.

I would think that since creating a reliable bullpen is one of the toughest things to do in baseball we would be inclined to keep all of our young guys and only trade Benitez if we are out of it. After years of insecurity, it's nice to think that we have some reliable guys who I hope we can keep around for at least 2 more years.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I believe Benitez will be "our guy" for the next few years. It satiates Beinfest's desire for an experienced name at the back end, and he clearly wants to be here and no place else.

Plus, given his continued success in our park, I can't fault it in the least.

The more u say it, the more it does make sense. He really likes it here and it has showed in his numbers this year along with his 2004 campaign, i do see a nice discounted price during the off season. I want Benitez back next year.

Gregg shouldn't be trade because he is still going be in arbitration but if the right pieces come along for him, then you never know.

No reason to deal Lindstrom, he would still be under our control for next year.

Guest Night Phantom

You don't breakup a young bullpen like the one we've built just because you could get a good price. The core group together is worth more than individuals sold off.