Potential HIV Cure

Fishfan79

CHICAGO (AFP) - In a breakthrough that could potentially lead to a cure for HIV infection, scientists have discovered a way to remove the virus from infected cells, a study released Thursday said.

The scientists engineered an enzyme which attacks the DNA of the HIV virus and cuts it out of the infected cell, according to the study published in Science magazine.

The enzyme is still far from being ready to use as a treatment, the authors warned, but it offers a glimmer of hope for the more than 40 million people infected worldwide.

"A customized enzyme that effectively excises integrated HIV-1 from infected cells in vitro might one day help to eradicate (the) virus from AIDS patients," Alan Engelman, of Harvard University's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, wrote in an article accompanying the study.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070628/hl_af...Zkjs3UPh6Ba24cA

Good news.

Check mark #1.

Check mark #2...malaria, not quite there yet.

I'd say cancer is more important than malaria, which can easily be suppressed by pesticides under many circumstances. Cancer is something that every human being will receive, if not killed by something else first.

Yep every person that dies of natural causes will die from or at least with either Heart Disease or Cancer. (if not both)

Kinda soon to check it off don't you think?

*Drives to Biscayne Blvd and has unprotected sex with Haitian hooker*

hahaha. Sadly thats one effect a cure will have. People will be like why is safe sex important anymore? (BTW this is probably the same people who have safe sex now and have x amount of diseases.)

Good news.

Check mark #1.

Check mark #2...malaria, not quite there yet.

I'd say cancer is more important than malaria, which can easily be suppressed by pesticides under many circumstances. Cancer is something that every human being will receive, if not killed by something else first.

Yep every person that dies of natural causes will die from or at least with either Heart Disease or Cancer. (if not both)

I agree with this. Aids is a horrible disease, but for the most part it can be avoided (if you are smart). Cancer comes in so many forms that not matter what you do it still can affect you.

I would go:

#1 cancer

#2 Aids (because of sheer numbers)

Guest Guest

Malaria is just a pain in the ass and flairs up sporadically. And it is my own fault I have it(cant say that about all HIV patients).

I can live comfortably with it. They cant.

I would go:

#1 cancer

Sheer numbers? Natural causes:

#1 Heart Disease

#2 Cancer

#3 Cerebrovascular disease (stroke)

#4 Lower respiratory disease

#5 Diabetes

#6 The Flu

More, and more, and more... then HIV. HIV only appears on the top 15 causes of death for 8 states. Beat cancer, beat heart and vascular diseases, and life expectancy goes into the 100s.

About 40 million people world-wide have HIV, about 3 million a year die from it. It is a huge issue in Africa where it is a top 10 cause of death, but in the rest of the world it isn't even a top 15 cause.

I would go:

#1 cancer

Sheer numbers? Natural causes:

#1 Heart Disease

#2 Cancer

#3 Cerebrovascular disease (stroke)

#4 Lower respiratory disease

#5 Diabetes

#6 The Flu

More, and more, and more... then HIV. HIV only appears on the top 15 causes of death for 8 states. Beat cancer, beat heart and vascular diseases, and life expectancy goes into the 100s.

About 40 million people world-wide have HIV, about 3 million a year die from it. It is a huge issue in Africa where it is a top 10 cause of death, but in the rest of the world it isn't even a top 15 cause.

I was talking world wide, not just for the US. In the US people have enough knowlege to avoid aids, thats not the case in other parts of the world.

That's from Harvard, that study, so no company owns the rights. Someone asked that earlier.

Secondly, I do this sort of thing for a living... it's years away. Don't get your hopes up.

They got it in a cell. Awesome. Single cells behave far differently then complex organs and organ systems. I'd imagine next they'll try mouse and then up to human. Years away.

That's from Harvard, that study, so no company owns the rights. Someone asked that earlier.

Secondly, I do this sort of thing for a living... it's years away. Don't get your hopes up.

They got it in a cell. Awesome. Single cells behave far differently then complex organs and organ systems. I'd imagine next they'll try mouse and then up to human. Years away.

Harvard owns the rights, and will sell them for an ass-ton of money as a result of the Bayh-Dole act of 1980.

I was talking world wide, not just for the US. In the US people have enough knowlege to avoid aids, thats not the case in other parts of the world.

Only in Africa is HIV the massive killer. That is the only part of the world where it is in the top 10, and half of all deaths are in Africa as well. The biggest factor causing deaths from HIV in Africa is other health issues such as malnutrition, rampant malaria, etc. If Africa were as prosperous as the US, but still had the same infection rate, deaths would decrease by a large level.

Only in Africa is HIV the massive killer. That is the only part of the world where it is in the top 10, and half of all deaths are in Africa as well. The biggest factor causing deaths from HIV in Africa is other health issues such as malnutrition, rampant malaria, etc. If Africa were as prosperous as the US, but still had the same infection rate, deaths would decrease by a large level.

fair enough

Harvard owns the rights, and will sell them for an ass-ton of money as a result of the Bayh-Dole act of 1980.

Buy stock now. I should have bought Apple stock before iPhone hit.....

People will be like why is safe sex important anymore?

Uh, there are plenty of sexually transmitted diseases out there besides AIDS.

I understand that, yet people still dont listen. Coming out and saying you have a cure for the biggest std, will make people value safe sex less.