Fredi Gonzalez

urumotherpucker94

Notes: Gonzalez an All-Star

Skipper invited to NL staff for Midsummer Classic

By Tom Keller / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Fredi Gonzalez planned to spend the All-Star break at home in Atlanta. His schedule was altered on Friday, but the Marlins manager is happy to accommodate the change.

Gonzalez got a phone call Friday afternoon from Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, who asked if Gonzalez would join him as a coach for the National League in the All-Star Game.

"I'm excited," Gonzalez said. "It's not every day you get a chance to go to the All-Star Game. You may never get another opportunity, you know?"

Gonzalez replaces Mets manager Willie Randolph, who is unable to attend because of upcoming shoulder surgery. The All-Star Game will be played in San Francisco on July 10.

Gonzalez said he and La Russa aren't particularly close, but they got to know each other during Spring Training because the Marlins and Cardinals share a facility at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Fla.

"Every time we had an opportunity to talk, we'd talk," Gonzalez said.

Still, Gonzalez -- in his first season as Florida's skipper after 10 years as a Minor League manager -- wasn't expecting the phone call that he got on Friday.

"[La Russa] said [that] I paid my dues in the Minor Leagues, and wanted to give me the opportunity to go," Gonzalez said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Gonzalez has never been to an All-Star Game before, although he was a coach for the Futures Game in Milwaukee in 2002.

"It's special, just as a fan," Gonzalez said.

Even more special is that Gonzalez will get to share the experience with his son, Alex, who will shag balls during the Home Run Derby -- just a few days before celebrating his 14th birthday.

"That's a nice little present," Gonzalez said.

Notes: Gonzalez an All-Star

Skipper invited to NL staff for Midsummer Classic

By Tom Keller / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Fredi Gonzalez planned to spend the All-Star break at home in Atlanta. His schedule was altered on Friday, but the Marlins manager is happy to accommodate the change.

Gonzalez got a phone call Friday afternoon from Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, who asked if Gonzalez would join him as a coach for the National League in the All-Star Game.

"I'm excited," Gonzalez said. "It's not every day you get a chance to go to the All-Star Game. You may never get another opportunity, you know?"

Gonzalez replaces Mets manager Willie Randolph, who is unable to attend because of upcoming shoulder surgery. The All-Star Game will be played in San Francisco on July 10.

Gonzalez said he and La Russa aren't particularly close, but they got to know each other during Spring Training because the Marlins and Cardinals share a facility at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Fla.

"Every time we had an opportunity to talk, we'd talk," Gonzalez said.

Still, Gonzalez -- in his first season as Florida's skipper after 10 years as a Minor League manager -- wasn't expecting the phone call that he got on Friday.

"[La Russa] said [that] I paid my dues in the Minor Leagues, and wanted to give me the opportunity to go," Gonzalez said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Gonzalez has never been to an All-Star Game before, although he was a coach for the Futures Game in Milwaukee in 2002.

"It's special, just as a fan," Gonzalez said.

Even more special is that Gonzalez will get to share the experience with his son, Alex, who will shag balls during the Home Run Derby -- just a few days before celebrating his 14th birthday.

"That's a nice little present," Gonzalez said.

That is a nice little(or really really big) present for his son. Congrats to Fredi and I hope him and his son have even more fun then they expect.

For the first time in his career, he'll get to coach a major league center fielder.

:notworthy :notworthy :lol

when are we going to stop blaming this one outfield position for the reason we suck? when it's clearly our crappy pitching and overall defense. center field is not as big of a problem as some are making it out to be. But, congrats Fredi, you get to manage a major league pitching rotation.

For the first time in his career, he'll get to coach a major league center fielder.

:notworthy :notworthy :lol

when are we going to stop blaming this one outfield position for the reason we suck? when it's clearly our crappy pitching and overall defense. center field is not as big of a problem as some are making it out to be. But, congrats Fredi, you get to manage a major league pitching rotation.

No, it really is.