Broadcasters

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

I am limited in what I get to hear because I don't have Extra Innings or MLB.tv so here it does.

My Favorites*:

Jon Miller- Over to first-- TWO! A double play! Doesn't yell but manages to still sound excited during the keys moments of the game. Elegant voice that doesn't annoy after awhile. (COUGHKENNYALBERTCOUGH)

Orel Hershiser- The complete opposite of all the 'analysts' has been hiring the last few years. Yes, he looks nerdy sometimes, but he's articulate yet manages to keep his explanations and analysis as simple as possible for the common fan. I love watching a game when he's the color man.

Vin Scully- He's Vin Scully, that's all that needs to be said. I only get to listen to him 3-4 times a year, but I make sure to play extra attention to the way he calls the game.

Bob Costas- Sure he hasn't done a game in a few years, but he has a deep understanding of the history of the game (even though it made him seem snobby sometimes) that made MLB on NBC the best when it came to storytelling during the playoffs.

Honorable Mention: Dave O'Brien, Boog Sciambi and Dwayne Staats

Why do these guys still have jobs?

Thom Brennamen- Does he need to verbally felate or trash every single player, every single manager, every single team in every moment of a telecast?

Skip Caray- SKIP CARAY THINKS IT'S NECESSARY TO YELL THE CALL DURING THE PIVOTAL MOMENTS OF THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S A BLATANT HOMER TOO!!!

Joe Morgan- Can he be anymore annoying? No one's greater than Joe. Has a phobia for statistics (except his own) and despises Moneyball and its author Billy Beane+.

Tim McCarver- Ugh.

Michael Kay- This guy is a robot. He uses the same call for every home run, every strikeout, every deep fly ball, etc.

Hawk Harrelson- :|

On the fence:

Joe Buck- I used to love Joe but for some reason he hasn't been as good as in previous years. For some reason he's quit being as descriptive as he once was.

*I'm excluding all the Marlins TV and radio broadcasters. But I do believe Roxy Bernstein and DVH are one of the better pairs in the league, but that may just be homerism on my part. The way the words flow out of DVH's mouth seamlessly is quite impressive. Felo Ramirez is in a class all by himself. You know it's baseball season when you go to an old Cuban home and you hear Felo's voice in the background calling the game as he always does. (Lanza la bola! Estrike!)

+Joe Morgan says Billy Beane wrote Moneyball, so Billy Beane wrote Moneyball.

you think Dwayne Stats is good?? I hate that guy.. worst voice in baseball..it distracts me so much that I can't tell if he's good otherwise. I've also noticed (awhile ago) that he seems to be bored while watching the game..nothing excites him.

Dan Shulman is without a doubt the best national play by play man going.

I second the dap to Orel. I wish they'd kick God forsaken Steve Phillips out and go to a 2-man team with him and Shulman. Its refreshing to hear a guy not talk out of his ass and you can tell he does his homework on the games he's calling (ie not just reading the press guide, "LOLz Manny being teh Manny!!!!!")

I always think I hate Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (NESN) but then whenever I hear another team's broadcast I usually feel it is always worse so maybe I'm just oversaturated.

I was impressed with Matt Williams who does color for the D'Backs sometimes. He was really, really good.

Buck used to be very good but ever since he got the lead NFL gig and became the King of broadcasting at Fox he has become a smug prick who knows he's landed so he can act as if he's on top of the world.

Joe Torre was damn good if you ever get to hear him on Classic definitely listen to an inning or two. I hope he becomes an analyst again when he retires.

Jim Palmer is another one I like.

The man that needs to go in to broadcasting but won't because he is involved in so many other things is Cal Ripken Jr. Talk about perfect.

I'm not big on Miller just because he's almost too damn nice. Its a fluffy telecast when he's calling the game. Dusty Baker just oozes syrup too. Most of the other ESPN guys are sh*t.

Ugh, if you really listen to him you realize he actually says nothing. Sure, he's speaking but is any of it actually meaningful?

He's also so damn hokie and corny. Yuck.

In the battle of sh*tty color guys I'd probably listen to Morgan because I like to listen out for him secretly manuvering an anti-steroid investigation of Barry Bonds conversation (it's almost like wait for it...wait for it...WAIT FOR IT...as you listen to the broadcast), push his subtle racism, and also downplay OBP% in favor of the stolen base (whatever that means).

At least Joe can entertain me in that regard, McCarver just sucks all the way around.

I always think I hate Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (NESN) but then whenever I hear another team's broadcast I usually feel it is always worse so maybe I'm just oversaturated.

Even though Remy is a blatent homer imho and speaks with the annoying Boston accent, I think they are probably the best pair in baseball. They tend to be fair (even though I know I just said Remy is a homer), they don't yell, they keep the comedy going, but also have a very professional side. And they don't deviate from the format if their team is winning or losing by a lot or complain if its a long game (:::caugh:::Rich and Tommy:::caugh:::sorry, I have a little head cold) After watching half the season on MLB.tv, they are definently top 5 or better in the league.

Skip is my favorite announcer...to make fun of. I've been making fun of him since I lived in Atlanta. I actually tried his "caught by a fan from..." bit on one of my broadcasts at school, then realized it was incredibly stupid...but with all due respect to Braves fans, he is playing to his audience...

Even though Remy is a blatent homer imho and speaks with the annoying Boston accent, I think they are probably the best pair in baseball. They tend to be fair (even though I know I just said Remy is a homer), they don't yell, they keep the comedy going, but also have a very professional side. And they don't deviate from the format if their team is winning or losing by a lot or complain if its a long game (:::caugh:::Rich and Tommy:::caugh:::sorry, I have a little head cold) After watching half the season on MLB.tv, they are definently top 5 or better in the league.

Skip is my favorite announcer...to make fun of. I've been making fun of him since I lived in Atlanta. I actually tried his "caught by a fan from..." bit on one of my broadcasts at school, then realized it was incredibly stupid...but with all due respect to Braves fans, he is playing to his audience...

Well to be honest, I'd want my team announcers to be homers.

Not Hawk Harrellson level, but still you can be homers if you are professional.

I just hate the giggling and off-topicness when there is actually baseball to be discussed (there are times when its appropriate) and the camera sometimes watches them more then some of the game.

But like I said, I probably just watch them too much.

Guest Festa

Homerism is fine but there is a line.

Hawk and Caray cross that line way to often. When you start refering to the opposing team as the "bad guys" and say things like "dadgummit" when a rally is foiled you've crossed the line.

Felo Ramirez is the definition of a professional homer. He doesn't stand up the other team are make snarky comments. Those who don't speak Spanish are really missing something.

I think I enjoy Tim McCarver so much because I remember in South Florida before we had the Marlins and I was 7,8,9 years old they used to played Met games in this TV market. His voice brings backs my earliest memories of baseball so I might be a little biased. I guess I am blessed to be one of the few who are actually able to enjoy one of the worse(according to so many!)announcers out there. :thumbup

Marlins have one of the best crews easily....but I will leave the teal colored glasses out of this. :D

I like Buck & McCarver (both the CBS & FOX crews), as I really don't like Miller & Morgan on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. Dan Shulman, former voice of the Blue Jays, is the best man in the ESPN stable. Solid second at ESPN is Dave O'Brien. BTW, is it just me or did Sean McDonough get a raw deal from both CBS and the Red Sox? Oh well, at least ESPN lets him do college sports and some MLB on the side.

On television:

O's/MASN crew of Gary Thorne & Jim Palmer are excellent.

Giants/FSN Bay Area crew of Duane Kuiper & Mike Krukow are fun.

Dodgers/FSN Prime Ticket crew is Vin Scully at home...end of story.

Angels/FSN West crew of Steve Physioc & Rex Hudler are freaky but solid.

Mariners/FSN Northwest crew led by Dave Niehaus is excellent...and they rotate onto TV from KOMO 1000 Radio throughout the game.

D'backs/FSN Arizona crew of Daron Sutton & Mark Grace/Matt Williams is a good watch.

Braves crew is good all around except Chip Caray left solo (they like to do it on TBS and Braves Radio too much!)

Mets/SNY crew is too homer sometimes, but solid.

Nats/MASN crew of Bob Carpenter & Don Sutton makes those terrible nights for the Nats more pleasant.

White Sox/WGN/Comcast crew of Hawk Harrelson & Darren Jackson are homers 1000%....but fun if your not a fan of "the bad guys."

Cubs/WGN/Comcast crew of Len & Bob Brenly are an upgrade over Chip & Stone previously, but Cubs fans don't get them just like anything else.

Tigers/FSN Detroit crew of Mario Impemba & Rod Allen are pretty damn good.

Twins/FSN North crew of Dick Bremer & Bert Blyleven PWN no doubt!

As for radio, I do that at another time....gotta think about it.

Guest CrimsonCane

Why do these guys still have jobs?

Joe Morgan- Can he be anymore annoying? No one's greater than Joe. Has a phobia for statistics (except his own) and despises Moneyball and its author Billy Beane+.

In the battle of sh*tty color guys I'd probably listen to Morgan because I like to listen out for him secretly manuvering an anti-steroid investigation of Barry Bonds conversation (it's almost like wait for it...wait for it...WAIT FOR IT...as you listen to the broadcast), push his subtle racism, and also downplay OBP% in favor of the stolen base (whatever that means).

At least Joe can entertain me in that regard, McCarver just sucks all the way around.

It fun sometimes to watch Joe Morgan because you can always ask yourself, "Can he be any more incompetent, flat out wrong, and unwilling to offer an opinion about anything?" The great thing is, during most telecasts, you'll say, "I can't believe it, but yes he can."

There's a blog which is normally a pretty fun read about Mr. Morgan and, more generally, bad sports reporting.

http://www.firejoemorgan.com (The name kind of says it all)

good

skip caray- i'm a braves fan what do you expect? he's funny, witty (you needed that watching all those years of braves baseball) and he knows what he's talking about. he makes a braves game so much better.

pete van wiren- it's a shame he's off the tv, he's a good announcer as well. he's like an almanac of baseball info.

len kasper- he's a great broadcaster, and vastly forgotten, partly due to his awful partner bob brenly. he's enjoyable to listen to and he's done his homework. he's a bit of a cubs homer, an improvement to chip caray and steve stone.

rich waltz and tommy hutton- great pair, one of the better guys on tv, they have great chemistry and they are enjoyable, expect for the times hutton goes hawk like last saturday's game, plus he hates the braves.

matt vasgergian- he's good, like him when he screams at calls, and they keep it professional. also underrated, despite some complaints of him going off topic alot.

bad

chip caray- awful. worst mistake tbs made was making him the play by play guy for all their telecasts. he talks too much, and alot of times rambles on about nothing, for example, spent two innings talking about the marlins stadium situation, and things we already know. i actually had to mute chip last night because he was just so annoying. although skip and chip games can be somewhat tolerable due to skip.

dwayne staats- very, very boring. makes me want to go to sleep.

joe buck- see chip caray. used to be decent.

bob brenly- ugh, it seems like every telecast, he has to talk bad about the braves in some way or form. lately, it's been about bobby's ejection record. just because you no hit us as a manager doesn't give you a license to bash us all the time. and he's not that good either. i tried to like him, but it's not working.

hawk and dj- extreme homerism here. sometimes tommy reaches this area, but i hope not, otherwise i'll put them on this list.

tim mccarver- enough said about him too.

steve lyons- another terrible fox loser. he stinks, and just annoys me to death.

I don't mind Joe Morgan so much but Tim McCarver is absurdly terrible. He is easily the biggest idiot around when he is in the booth. I know I've said this before but this is all you need to know about McCarver; we were watching a game and this is his comentary on a guy advancing from 1st to 3rd on a hit and run:

"Excellent base running! That's the way you do it! You step on 2nd base with your left foot or your right foot."

I was like :blink:

Guest Festa

Joe Girardi may have been a crappy manager, but he's a damn good broadcaster. He and Kenny Albert do a good job together. I'm enjoying today's telecast.