Right Field

I don't think someone should be called stupid because he questions whether Hermida will be a superstar and that's what you and your cohorts routinely do. His struggles in '06 and '07 have made his future much more of a question mark than what it was 18 months ago.

Still gotta remember he is 23.

He's not the first ever prospect to struggle in his first 1.5 seasons in the bigs. Just repeat to yourself "not everyone is Hanley, not everyone is Cabrera"

while I repeat to myself "serenity now, serenity now"

hello all, i have unsuccessfully tried many times before but this is my 1st ever post to this board. i have read the site the past few years and am very happy to finally be able to join in the conversation.

hermida is nauseating in right field. he is never under a ball waiting for it and on occasion he does stuff that should only be reserved for tee ball (as tommy previously noted). how can hermida possibly be allowed to start either of the next two games after doing something like that tonight? oh ya, i guess the answer is joe borchard, todd linden, and eric reed. but make no mistake, HERMIDA BLOWS.

Im sorry you finally figured out how to post.

And I'm sorry you ever figured it out. You don't have to agree with the guy but he does have the right to express his thoughts along with everyone else without somebody bashing him on his very first post. Whether you are joking around with him or not.

:whistle After about 10 threads in one week on the same subj. It gets old.

what a surprise...someone doesnt like hermida and their opinion gets shot down faster than a cheney friend on a hunting trip...ya know...for all the "intelligence" on this board...there is just as much rudeness...seriously...i dont think anyone is calling for him to be released, traded or lynched...they just want to see someone capable of not playing with his head in his ass...damn...some people take i dont like a certain baseball player as "'i dont like you because you dont like my favorite player"

It's got more to do with the fact that people got spoiled with Hanley and Cabrera. They don't really understand how player development works. That's not to say Hermida could be the next Joe Borchard, but it's unfair to say that he won't be anything better than he is too.

what a surprise...someone doesnt like hermida and their opinion gets shot down faster than a cheney friend on a hunting trip...ya know...for all the "intelligence" on this board...there is just as much rudeness...seriously...i dont think anyone is calling for him to be released, traded or lynched...they just want to see someone capable of not playing with his head in his ass...damn...some people take i dont like a certain baseball player as "'i dont like you because you dont like my favorite player"

No. It's the people who say he sucks, he's a flop, he will never make it, and JoBo should start RF.

It's got more to do with the fact that people got spoiled with Hanley and Cabrera. They don't really understand how player development works. That's not to say Hermida could be the next Joe Borchard, but it's unfair to say that he won't be anything better than he is too.

Agree 100%

I also think it should be obvious to anyone watching the team that Hermida has shown his potential in small bursts. He just needs to be consistant, which you cant ask every 23 year old to be.

Hermida seems to lose concentration often enough however i like what I see from him. At the plate he is looking more relaxed in the field I am not sure what is going on,,,is he trying to just do too much and is not letting his natural talent flow. Let's get Andre Dawson to work with him out there and call Dr Phil will ya (I hate that jerk btw). I really think it all in his head right now

Hermida has been downright pathetic this season. He is an awful defender and his age can not be blamed for that. Still, until Cody Ross is ready to come back the Marlins have no choice but to let him play everyday because they don't have anything better. I'm not calling for Hermida to get benched but I see him platooning with Ross when he returns unless he wakes up one day and looks in the mirror and says....."I'm much better than I've been playing and it's time to show that on the field". Also, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about his great eye as I watch him whiff at an alarming rate.

I think the only valid concern is that there might be something wrong with Hermida mentally - a lack of confidence or concentration leading to his errors in the field. He doesn't always seem too sure of himself. If he can gain some swagger he will be fine I think. Maybe Amezaga should drop kick him in the butt a few times.

Hermida has been downright pathetic this season. He is an awful defender and his age can not be blamed for that. Still, until Cody Ross is ready to come back the Marlins have no choice but to let him play everyday because they don't have anything better. I'm not calling for Hermida to get benched but I see him platooning with Ross when he returns unless he wakes up one day and looks in the mirror and says....."I'm much better than I've been playing and it's time to show that on the field". Also, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about his great eye as I watch him whiff at an alarming rate.

Pathetic? In the field only, you mean, right?

Hermida .226/.320/.423 (742)

Delmon .281/.311/.417 (728)

Does Delmon Young suck?

Young is a couple of years younger than Hermida.

If you're 21, like Young is, I'll certainly buy the age excuse but at 23 the age excuse just doesn't carry as much weight as it does at 21. Big difference between 21 and 23, don't you agree?

Pathetic? In the field only, you mean, right?

On the field pathetic.. with the bat not good enough for a RF.

I think most here hold Ed Kaplan in good stead as the most knowledgeable and Marlins sympathetic guy on South Florida radio. For anyone listening I wonder if you were as surprised as I was about his bluntness in discussing Hermida's level of play.

He was particularly outraged by Hermida's aloofness concerning his flyball error last night, and wondered out loud what the team (I wasn't sure if he was talking about his teammates or the FO) would have done had they lost 5-4 instead of won 6-5. Someone tell me Kaplan hasn't pretty much written of the kid? Sure sounded like he's seen enough.

I was actually very surprised to hear how outspoken he was on the subject.

He's on right now if anyone's interested. Hermida seems to be the subject du jour. And he continues to trash Hermida.

Does Delmon Young suck?

If you're 21, like Young is, I'll certainly buy the age excuse but at 23 the age excuse just doesn't carry as much weight as it does at 21. Big difference between 21 and 23, don't you agree?

I agree that both players are ridiculously young, and it's right to assume they both will struggle for a few seasons before potentially reaching their ceiling. Not everyone is Hanley and Cabrera. Baseball is littered with Alex Rios'.

I think most here hold Ed Kaplan in good stead as the most knowledgeable and Marlins sympathetic guy on South Florida radio. For anyone listening I wonder if you were as surprised as I was about his bluntness in discussing Hermida's level of play.

He was particularly outraged by Hermida's aloofness concerning his flyball error last night, and wondered out loud what the team (I wasn't sure if he was talking about his teammates or the FO) would have done had they lost 5-4 instead of won 6-5. Someone tell me Kaplan hasn't pretty much written of the kid? Sure sounded like he's seen enough.

He's on right now if anyone's interested. Hermida seems to be the subject du jour. And he continues to trash Hermida.

Yawn.

I bet Ed Kaplan hated Elvis and the Beatles too. Those crazy kids and their OPS+ and EQA!

Yawn.

I bet Ed Kaplan hated Elvis and the Beatles too. Those crazy kids and their OPS+ and EQA!

if it means anything, Ed Kaplan didn't think Mark Redman was any good when he came to SoFla either (I know that's apples to oranges but he should stick to soccer)

Does Delmon Young suck?

Tony Gwynn at the age of 23: .727

Craig Biggio, 23: .737

Paul O'Neill, 23: 2 major league at bats

Ryan Howard, 23: No major league at bats

David Ortiz, 23: no hits in 20 ML at bats

Travis Hafner, 23: No ML At bats

Michael Young, 23: 2 ML At bats

Johnny Damon, 23: .723 in 472 At Bats

Carlos Delgado, 23: .609 in 91 At bats

Matt Holliday, 23: No ML At bats

Ryne Sandberg, 23: .667

Moises Alou, 23: 4 hits in 20 ML At bats

Jason Bay, 23: No ML At Bats

Because of their struggles at the age of 23, none of these players were capable of being productive in the majors.

Yawn.

if it means anything, Ed Kaplan didn't think Mark Redman was any good when he came to SoFla either (I know that's apples to oranges but he should stick to soccer)

I'll give you a better one.. Kaplan hated the first Benitez acquisition.

Because of their struggles at the age of 23, none of these players were capable of being productive in the majors.

Now that you made a list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to have successful careers why don't you make out the list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to suck the rest of their career?

That way you'll present the full picture.

Does Delmon Young suck?

Hermida has 516 ABs over parts of three seasons to Young's 462 over two seasons. 58 more ABs is hardly a 'big difference'.

Now that you made a list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to have successful careers why don't you make out the list of those who sucked at 23 and went on to suck the rest of their career?

That way you'll present the full picture.

Find me a list of the top prospects for each of the last 20 years and I will find you the ones in the top 10 who sucked at 23 and sucks forever and then the ones who sucked at 23 and then became average or better major leagues. I bet the latter out number the former 4 to 1 at least.