Cabrera to Yankees? It's possible

The vacancy at third base for the New York Yankees could pave the path for trade discussions with the Marlins involving third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is gradually pricing himself out of Florida's moderate budget.

Cabrera is expected to receive in the neighborhood of $11 million next season through arbitration and is eligible for free agency after the 2009 season. The third baseman's fielding woes might give the Yankees cause for concern. But they could also move him to first base or use him as a designated hitter.

If the Marlins trade Cabrera, the asking price will be steep. They would almost certainly demand top, young prospects in return for an All-Star hitter on a Hall of Fame career trajectory. One possible trade piece could be Melky Cabrera, the Yankees 23-year-old center fielder.

But the Marlins would likely want pitching help thrown into any trade involving Miguel Cabrera, who has averaged 31 home runs, 116 RBI and a .327 batting average over the past three seasons.

LINK

:lol

We're so pathetic that I would never say never with us dealing Cabrera, but if there's one team that does not matchup with us, at all, it's the Yankees.

AND

If we do end up trading Miggy for basically a bounty of young pitching, I'd love to say way to go Beinfest, fantastic job spending three seasons getting nothing but quality pitching back, glad it turned out so well.

I was thinking earlier today that we might not want to rule out this possibility. The Yankees have always shown a desire to get the top talent in the league no matter what the cost (see: A-Rod 3 years ago) and Miggy would have a HOF career in the Bronx no doubt. If the Yankees are willing to give up guys like Melky Cabrera and Joba or Hughes (in addition to some other prospects) then it may be a possiblity, although I question whether they would.

It's good to see that after a week and a half AWOL Spencer has been at least keeping up on his MLBtraderumors.com reading. Too bad he didn't bother to do the math that Cabrera's increase this year should only be in the $2.5-3.5 million range but I guess that would get in the way of the quality journalism we've come to expect from him. He's probably wrong anyways, his predecessors at the Herald who escaped to the west coast have been promising their readers that Cabrera was LA bound in just a few weeks for almost a year now. He's way late with the Cabrera rumor mongering.

Maybe he was too busy mooching a ham sandwich in the clubhouse when Cabrera said the one team he wouldn't want to play for was the New York Yankees. As far as I know it's the only team he's ever been quoted as ruling out. Why? Because they have too many rules, AND THAT WAS WHEN JOE TORRE WAS MANAGER! Somehow I can't see him really enjoying his stay under Joe's thumb as Girardi turns the Yankee clubhouse into his own version of Paris Island.

But thanks Clark, nice try. Try the baloney next time, it's more appropriate.

It's good to see that after a week and a half AWOL Spencer has been at least keeping up on his MLBtraderumors.com reading. Too bad he didn't bother to do the math that Cabrera's increase this year should only be in the $2.5-3.5 million range but I guess that would get in the way of the quality journalism we've come to expect from him. He's probably wrong anyways, his predecessors at the Herald who escaped to the west coast have been promising their readers that Cabrera was LA bound in just a few weeks for almost a year now. He's way late with the Cabrera rumor mongering.

Maybe he was too busy mooching a ham sandwich in the clubhouse when Cabrera said the one team he wouldn't want to play for was the New York Yankees. As far as I know it's the only team he's ever been quoted as ruling out. Why? Because they have too many rules, AND THAT WAS WHEN JOE TORRE WAS MANAGER! Somehow I can't see him really enjoying his stay under Joe's thumb as Girardi turns the Yankee clubhouse into his own version of Paris Island.

But thanks Clark, nice try. Try the baloney next time, it's more appropriate.

Umm...you do know that players who don't have a no-trade clause (like Cabrera) have no control over where they go, right?

Umm...you do know that players who don't have a no-trade clause (like Cabrera) have no control over where they go, right?

Of course I do.

But there you go again missing the point. If the Marlins were going to trade Cabrera the opportunity to turn negotiations into something fruitful would in part hinge on how the acquiring team perceives their chances of signing him long term, rather than limiting your talks with the one he's already said he wants no part of.

And let's face it, if the Marlins decided to trade him the offers would come from all over baseball, not just the Bronx. SFX would be involved as well. **While Miggy isn't entitled to sign-off on any trade, a happy Cabrera brings more than an unhappy one.**

Of course I do.

But there you go again missing the point. If the Marlins were going to trade Cabrera the opportunity to turn negotiations into something fruitful would in part hinge on how the acquiring team perceives their chances of signing him long term, rather than limiting your talks with the one he's already said he wants no part of.

And let's face it, if the Marlins decided to trade him the offers would come from all over baseball, not just the Bronx. SFX would be involved as well.

Well, agents have no role in facilitating a trade, so strike one. Secondly, any team acquiring Miggy would get two full seasons of service time, it'd be incredibly improbable to see a deal held up, or even contingent upon, a contractual agreement.

If the Marlins, foolishly, agree to both trade Cabrera and also that the Yankees are the best offer on the table, I highly doubt they give a flying f*** whether Miggy wants to play there, as I highly doubt the Yankees are concerned they can't give him more than adequate compensation to make him forget that he's playing in the Bronx.