Don't Quit on the Marlins

Admin

I wasn't going to say much about today's deal but after seeing several comments from people stating they will no longer root for the team -- I felt I needed to say something. I doubt many of you will read this, especially those of you who have quit on the team already but for the few of you who do read it, it was worth the effort.

Today's trade was a significant modification of our team. Not only were two players traded, but the two were fan favorites and the last remaining pieces of our 2003 championship team. A trade like that will sting for awhile no matter who the players coming back are. On paper it looks like another firesale, upon further review it still resembles one but it was inevitable just because of the way this team operates. We can not pay a player upwards of 15-20 million dollars a season. This means that when Cabrera and Willis hit the open market in the future, we would have lost them for nothing. Yes, I know other teams are able to keep their players. I wish the Marlins could as well but the fact is they wouldn't have so at least now we were able to secure key pieces for now and the future.

Hopefully when the day comes that these new players are in a similar situation to Cabrera/Willis-- the Marlins will be in a more secure financial state and able to afford long term deals with them. Am I an eternal optimist? Probably but to say that this is impossible is just being a pessimist. I'm going to miss Cabrera and Willis as much as anyone here. They were tremendous assets and their loss will be felt on and off the field. However, I'm a Florida Marlins fan. I'm not only a Dontrelle Willis fan, or only a Miguel Cabrera fan. I root for the team on the field no matter who is wearing the jersey that day. I believe the majority of you are the same way. That's my team, that's our team. No matter what you think of the current ownership or financial plan, this is the team you have supported for years and there's no reason that should change. I don't want to preach, but it is important that everyone steps back and thinks about what they are saying. How can you walk away from a team you obviously are so passionate about? To say you won't attend or watch the games on TV in 2008 just because of this trade isn't hurting anyone but yourself. To those of you who have completely cut ties with the franchise today as well, you'll be missing out on the excitement that is the Florida Marlins.

One thing has remained consistent over the years for me, watching that team is a thrill no matter who takes the field. I'll be there next season cheering them on. I'll watch the games on TV and I'll be here discussing the team every day. I hope you all will be as well. This is not meant to say look at me I'm a better fan than you -- on the contrary I'm trying to say you are all the same way and it is tough to see some of you deny it. This is your team, don't let one trade make you think differently.

I never will. Yes, it really hurts to watch Cabs and Dontrelle go but I will always support the team. '98 fire sale, '05 fire sale and I'm still here. I can't NOT love the Marlins. Go Fish!

I wasn't going to say much about today's deal but after seeing several comments from people stating they will no longer root for the team -- I felt I needed to say something. I doubt many of you will read this, especially those of you who have quit on the team already but for the few of you who do read it, it was worth the effort.

Today's trade was a significant modification of our team. Not only were two players traded, but the two were fan favorites and the last remaining pieces of our 2003 championship team. A trade like that will sting for awhile no matter who the players coming back are. On paper it looks like another firesale, upon further review it still resembles one but it was inevitable just because of the way this team operates. We can not pay a player upwards of 15-20 million dollars a season. This means that when Cabrera and Willis hit the open market in the future, we would have lost them for nothing. Yes, I know other teams are able to keep their players. I wish the Marlins could as well but the fact is they wouldn't have so at least now we were able to secure key pieces for now and the future.

Hopefully when the day comes that these new players are in a similar situation to Cabrera/Willis-- the Marlins will be in a more secure financial state and able to afford long term deals with them. Am I an eternal optimist? Probably but to say that this is impossible is just being a pessimist. I'm going to miss Cabrera and Willis as much as anyone here. They were tremendous assets and their loss will be felt on and off the field. However, I'm a Florida Marlins fan. I'm not only a Dontrelle Willis fan, or only a Miguel Cabrera fan. I root for the team on the field no matter who is wearing the jersey that day. I believe the majority of you are the same way. That's my team, that's our team. No matter what you think of the current ownership or financial plan, this is the team you have supported for years and there's no reason that should change. I don't want to preach, but it is important that everyone steps back and thinks about what they are saying. How can you walk away from a team you obviously are so passionate about? To say you won't attend or watch the games on TV in 2008 just because of this trade isn't hurting anyone but yourself. To those of you who have completely cut ties with the franchise today as well, you'll be missing out on the excitement that is the Florida Marlins.

One thing has remained consistent over the years for me, watching that team is a thrill no matter who takes the field. I'll be there next season cheering them on. I'll watch the games on TV and I'll be here discussing the team every day. I hope you all will be as well. This is not meant to say look at me I'm a better fan than you -- on the contrary I'm trying to say you are all the same way and it is tough to see some of you deny it. This is your team, don't let one trade make you think differently.

I agree, I am a Marlins fan to the end. I have been a fan since 1993. I rooted for scott Pose, Orestes Destrada, Junior Felix etc. I watched tehm win 2 championships and I have watch them dismatle the team in 1998 and in 2003 I watch them do the market correction. I will alwys be a Marlin fan. I was a littel upset over the trade, but after raeding on the players the Marlins aquire, I am not as mad, just disappointed to loose both Cabrera and Willis in one trade. I know Maybin can be something special and Miller looks graet as well. I will root for them til teh end, I love the Marlins.

Lets Go Fish!

I can't not be a Marlins fan, I don't know how to be anything else, I still have the newspaper clipping from the day I was born wih the headline that MLB was putting a team here... I mean, at least we're not the only team going through something similar to this (Twins)... so, as long as Florida is across their chests, they're our team, but this is gonna sting for a long time

I can't not be a Marlins fan, I don't know how to be anything else, I still have the newspaper clipping from the day I was born wih the headline that MLB was putting a team here... I mean, at least we're not the only team going through something similar to this (Twins)... so, as long as Florida is across their chests, they're our team, but this is gonna sting for a long time

atleast they will have a new stadium soon.. and they still have an owner thats willing to do alot more than cheap ass loria

Fan for over 10 years now, I'm not abandoning the team, that's for certain. Boy I will miss Cabs and the D-Train, but I am optimistic that this 'specs will be straight nasty for us, just like Manley Ramirez turned out to be.

Let's rock.

Agreed. This is probably the toughest trade I've had to sit through. But you get over it. It's sports, and a spectator sport at that. Shouldn't ruin your life. Move on.

Well, I'm one of the people who has more or less cut ties with this team. It wasn't just this trade, but this was kind of the last straw. I was pretty apathetic towards the franchise last year. I went to 2 games last year. I used to go to 30 a year. It's not just the firesales, or that idiot Samson belittling the fanbase with idiot comments time and time again, or Loria hoodwinking the loyal season ticket holders a couple years ago...it's those things and plenty more. It's one thing after another.

I think the bottom line is that people appear to root for this team for different reasons. I have no idea why some of you root for this team; I really just don't understand what the attraction is. And I'm not at all saying you're a bunch of morons, or that you shouldn't root for the team...I'm just saying I don't understand WHY it is you do root for the team. And maybe you don't either. Maybe it's not something you can put into words. But for me it was always a mix between an attachment to the players, and, I think more than anything else, a sense of community, a sense of civic pride or whatever in our local team. That's why I root for all the Miami teams. It's why I switched allegiances from the Phillies (and I was a DIEHARD Phillies fan; my Bar Mitzvah was Phillies themed) back around 1995. But as I said in the other thread--that sense of civic pride has been shot to hell with this team. No one involved in the franchise in any way gives a rat's ass about this town, or the people here, and that has to include the players. It just has to. Because they know if they're any good, there's nothing here for them. This is a waystation. They play in front of handfuls of people. I mean, there's just no roots. If this franchise ever grows roots again, I'll come back. If they get a stadium, if they show at least some sign of dedication to this town, I'll come back. But right now? There's just nothing left for me to root for, and that's not going to change in the very near future. But like I said, we all root for the Marlins for different reasons, and I guess for most of you, your reasons for caring have not been taken away from you.

I still like baseball, and this team still has some players that are fun to watch. And if I have nothing else to do, I will put the game on in the background. But on a given summer day, there will probably be a 100 things I'd rather do before I actually go to a game, and I'm certainly not going to be clearing space in my schedule so I can watch the game on TV.

When I say I'm done, I am in no way "hurting myself", or trying to hurt anyone else. I'm just saying how it is. The things that I used to root for, the things I used to be passionate about, they're all gone. For those who still have reasons to give a damn, I hope the Marlins bring you many W's.

Having seen how fun was to witnessed players like Cabrera and others developed into superstars. There are no reasons why anyone shouldn't be exited to have the opportunity to have that pleasure again with these young players. I'm sure that most of these people that are jumping off the wagon will be coming back by the break. GO FISH!!! :thumbup

Mabdul,

That's understandable, but the way I see it is this. If they see that nobody cares about the team, then what's the point of them staying here in the first place? I feel that it'll give them more reason to leave the city. I don't want that. But everyone can do what they want. I know I'll still be here.

I am not giving up on the Florida Marlins this sucks but i too am an optimist and believe once we get a stadium things will get better , and all of us fans who stuck by our team wont regret it !

we wont get a stadium as long as this piece of sh*t owner is in charge..

I saw a shooting star tonight (seriously) I am not going to tell what i wished for but it involved the marlins ownership :)

I am not giving up on the Florida Marlins this sucks but i too am an optimist and believe once we get a stadium things will get better , and all of us fans who stuck by our team wont regret it !

we wont get a stadium as long as this piece of sh*t owner is in charge..

I saw a shooting star tonight (seriously) I am not going to tell what i wished for but it involved the marlins ownership :)

hope it comes true tommorrow!!

Hey guys, I just wanted to pitch my 2 cents here since I browse the site more than I post, I just feel this is important. For starters, I first learned about this with one of the commercials on CBS saying Marlins trade... more news at 11. I immediately knew what was going on. I went on ESPN.com and confirmed it and literally cried, these guys where the last of our 03' WS team, and studs. From a business side, they where our biggest ticket sellers. I was sad, and slightly mad even though I knew it was going to happen I just didnt want to see one of the top 5 players in baseball gone from my fish. Either way, It sunk in for a while but then the positives started processing.... we got a great package of young guys and our future looks bright for another WS in the very near future. Heck, we took the whole Tigers farm system for crying out loud. ( Besides this year's first round pick). I will miss Cabs and Willis and their energy and play on the field as much as anyone but I am excited to see the 08 marlins go out and compete. These guys are going to be really good in the near future AND with a stadium deal lurking around the corner, we might be actually able to keep our studs next time this happens. Marlins fan today, tomorrow, and always no matter what. Lets go Fish.