Fish ink thirteen to minor league deals

Admin

Marlins signed RHP Doug Waechter, RHP Joe Nelson, RHP Marcus Gwyn, RHP Tim Corcoran and RHP Bobby Keppel to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.

Waechter made 13 minor league starts last season after returning from major shoulder surgery, and Nelson missed the whole year after having his shoulder operated. If healthy, Waechter could get a look at the back of the rotation at some point. He was 14-25 with a 5.62 ERA in 54 starts and six relief appearances for the Rays between 2003 and 2006.

Marlins signed OF Jorge Piedra, C Paul Hoover, INF Chris Barnwell, 1B Tagg Bozied, INF Rex Rundgren, 1B-3B Jason Wood, OF John Gall, OF Alexis Gomez to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.

Wood's deal was agreed to months ago, and he'll have a pretty good chance of landing a bench spot. Piedra is the best bet of the rest of the group. The former Rockie hit .336/.415/.543 in 265 at-bats for Triple-A Sacramento last season. He'd be a fine fourth outfielder and pinch-hitter if given another chance.

---RotoWorld.com

MAN! And here I was jumping on my seat thinking Dallas! Great, I should have known that he won't go for a minor league deal, I mean look at this agent, but a guy can dream!

BTW only big name among this group is Douggy Waechter!! Woo Hooo! :violin

Doug Waechter: Pure stuff, can possibly be a staff leader one day. Can work deep into his starts with his low 90's fastball. Has struggled with his mechanics, needs work on his changeup, not to mention he gets lit up by left handed hitters. Can possibly become a 4th or 5th starter in the future, but can be a great asset to any bullpen once developed.

Anyone have info on the other four?

Now Jorge Piedra I do recognize! He was a great hitting prospect that never panned out. Not surprised he signs here, he can become this years frequent pinch hitter if he can land a spot via spring training. Let's keep adding invites Mr. Hill maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise on the cheap.

:thumbup

Doug Waechter: Pure stuff, can possibly be a staff leader one day. Can work deep into his starts with his low 90's fastball. Has struggled with his mechanics, needs work on his changeup, not to mention he gets lit up by left handed hitters. Can possibly become a 4th or 5th starter in the future, but can be a great asset to any bullpen once developed.

:|

Doug Waechter and "staff leader" should never be used in the same sentence.

Ever.

:|

Doug Waechter and "staff leader" should never be used in the same sentence.

Ever.

You don't necessary have to be an ace to be a leader imo.

Piedra and Bozied have both been busted for 'roids.

Roids or no Roids, these players will only make it to the big leagues by earning a spot. We are now in the non-steroid era, if they can make it passed spring training with a spot in our 25-man roster than I'll be one of the fans to back them.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. nuh uh.

Piedra and Bozied have both been busted for 'roids.

Roids or no Roids, these players will only make it to the big leagues by earning a spot. We are now in the non-steroid era, if they can make it passed spring training with a spot in our 25-man roster than I'll be one of the fans to back them.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. nuh uh.

:notworthy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.