MACWORLD 2008

TimeWrecker

i wouldnt recommend buying this it may be thin and look nice but theres far cheaper options that are just as good for what you would be using this for.

people need to understand that a 1.6 with 80gig standard drive is going to be so slow it won't be worth using. The reason the premium jumps in price is because it is what you need. The point of the ultraportables is to have long battery life and to be sleek. While it has almost 2 more inches in screensize than the vaio, it will be pointless unless you have the premium. the SSD drive is made for safer use, more dependable use, longer battery life, and faster use.

add the specs between a macbook and macbook air

MacBook Air (13.3" screen)> - $1799

Height: 0.16(corners) - 0.76 inch(base)

Width: 12.8 inches

Depth: 8.94 inches

Weight: 3.0 pounds

MacBook (13.3" screen) - $1099

Height: 1.08 inches

Width: 12.78 inches

Depth: 8.92 inches

Weight: 5.0 pounds

2 pounds and thats about it. It really isnt as amazing as they make it seem.

Now let's compare it to the Sony VAIO TZ, the computer it's supposed to be compared to. (These are comparing the minimum specs for each.)

Dimensions

VAIO TZ: 10.9" x 8.7", 0.8-1.17" thick, 2.7 pounds

MacBook Air: 12.8"x8.94", 0.16-0.76" thick, 3.0 pounds

CPU

VAIO TZ: Intel Core 2 Duo U7500, 1066MHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2

MacBook Air: Intel Core 2 Duo Custom, 1600MHz, 667MHz FSB, 4MB L2

RAM

VAIO TZ: 1GB PC2-4200

MacBook Air: 2GB PC2-5300

Hard Drive

VAIO TZ: 100GB

MacBook Air: 80GB

Networking and Wireless

VAIO TZ: GbE, Draft-N, Bluetooth, Sprint Mobile built-in

MacBook Air: Draft-N, Bluetooth 2.1

Keyboard/Mouse

VAIO TZ: Condensed Keyboard, no backlighting, Basic Trackpad

MacBook Air: Full-size backlit standard network-sized Keyboard, Advanced-Function Trackpad based on iPhone/iPod touch

Video

VAIO TZ: 11.1" WXGA, 1366x768 (16x9), Integrated Graphics sharing 224MB system RAM (800MB available to system)

MacBook Air: 13.3" WXGA, 1280x800 (16x10), Integrated Graphics sharing 144MB system RAM (1904MB available to system)

Media and Outputs

VAIO TZ: DVD writer, Memory Stick PRO, SD/MMC, ExpressCard, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x FireWire, VGA, Audio, 1.3MP camera w/built-in mic

MacBook Air: Micro-DVI (can connect to VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite outs), 1 x USB 2.0, Audio, VGA iSight camera w/built-in mic

Battery life

VAIO TZ: 4-7.5 hours (assuming 4 means w/wireless)

MacBook Air: 5 hours w/wireless on and working

Price

VAIO TZ: $2399

MacBook Air: $1799

i wouldnt recommend buying this it may be thin and look nice but theres far cheaper options that are just as good for what you would be using this for.

people need to understand that a 1.6 with 80gig standard drive is going to be so slow it won't be worth using. The reason the premium jumps in price is because it is what you need. The point of the ultraportables is to have long battery life and to be sleek. While it has almost 2 more inches in screensize than the vaio, it will be pointless unless you have the premium. the SSD drive is made for safer use, more dependable use, longer battery life, and faster use.

Now let's compare it to the Sony VAIO TZ, the computer it's supposed to be compared to. (These are comparing the minimum specs for each.)

Dimensions

VAIO TZ: 10.9" x 8.7", 0.8-1.17" thick, 2.7 pounds

MacBook Air: 12.8"x8.94", 0.16-0.76" thick, 3.0 pounds

CPU

VAIO TZ: Intel Core 2 Duo U7500, 1066MHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2

MacBook Air: Intel Core 2 Duo Custom, 1600MHz, 667MHz FSB, 4MB L2

RAM

VAIO TZ: 1GB PC2-4200

MacBook Air: 2GB PC2-5300

Hard Drive

VAIO TZ: 100GB

MacBook Air: 80GB

Networking and Wireless

VAIO TZ: GbE, Draft-N, Bluetooth, Sprint Mobile built-in

MacBook Air: Draft-N, Bluetooth 2.1

Keyboard/Mouse

VAIO TZ: Condensed Keyboard, no backlighting, Basic Trackpad

MacBook Air: Full-size backlit standard network-sized Keyboard, Advanced-Function Trackpad based on iPhone/iPod touch

Video

VAIO TZ: 11.1" WXGA, 1366x768 (16x9), Integrated Graphics sharing 224MB system RAM (800MB available to system)

MacBook Air: 13.3" WXGA, 1280x800 (16x10), Integrated Graphics sharing 144MB system RAM (1904MB available to system)

Media and Outputs

VAIO TZ: DVD writer, Memory Stick PRO, SD/MMC, ExpressCard, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x FireWire, VGA, Audio, 1.3MP camera w/built-in mic

MacBook Air: Micro-DVI (can connect to VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite outs), 1 x USB 2.0, Audio, VGA iSight camera w/built-in mic

Battery life

VAIO TZ: 4-7.5 hours (assuming 4 means w/wireless)

MacBook Air: 5 hours w/wireless on and working

Price

VAIO TZ: $2399

MacBook Air: $1799

Even after that I would still pick the regular macbook. I will say I like that it comes with 2 USB, 1 Firewire and has up to 7.5 hours of battery life. Other than that these systems are to far off. With more SSD harddrives and changing a few more things it will be ready, but right now its to gimmicky.

Even after that I would still pick the regular macbook. I will say I like that it comes with 2 USB, 1 Firewire and has up to 7.5 hours of battery life. Other than that these systems are to far off. With more SSD harddrives and changing a few more things it will be ready, but right now its to gimmicky.

That was the VAIO, which also comes with a vastly slower processor, half the ram (and more of that hogged by the integrated graphics), a much smaller screen and keyboard, and costs $600 more.

That was the VAIO, which also comes with a vastly slower processor, half the ram (and more of that hogged by the integrated graphics), a much smaller screen and keyboard, and costs $600 more.

I was saying that was the only thing I like about the Vaio. Was that it came with a few more things. Otherwise I think they are pretty much the same machine, both have a few more things, both have a few less things. I just don't see the size being really that much smaller that it is worth it yet. I still have to see them in public though, because I think the size is deceiving.

im not sure why you quoted me you seem to be supporting me

i bought an asus 4g eee pc for using around campus because carrying around a fullsize laptop gets to be a pain. it may be slower and not have a screen almost half the size as the macbook air but it also cost me less than a forth of the price, is a pound lighter and seems less likely to break

im not sure why you quoted me you seem to be supporting me

i bought an asus 4g eee pc for using around campus because carrying around a fullsize laptop gets to be a pain. it may be slower and not have a screen almost half the size as the macbook air but it also cost me less than a forth of the price, is a pound lighter and seems less likely to break

I am supporting you, I think there are much better options out there right now.

If you go to the Aventura store, ask for Katie. She's the best!

Have you seen it in person? What do you think about it?

Nope, but she gives me all the straight scoop when she gets home each night. I'll ask her what she thinks tonight. But for me, I need to play CD's/DVD's. It wouldn't work for me.

Nope, but she gives me all the straight scoop when she gets home each night. I'll ask her what she thinks tonight. But for me, I need to play CD's/DVD's. It wouldn't work for me.

She also said it comes with 1 USB port. Not enough stuff to make it worth the price for me. I need all the bells & whistles.

She also said it comes with 1 USB port. Not enough stuff to make it worth the price for me. I need all the bells & whistles.

I agree I think they should of waiting longer and added a little more to it. I think it is a good idea, but still lacks to much for practical purposes.