June 20, 200818 yr well, rabbethan you raise a good point when you say that we shouldn't trade pitching for offense, when we're a great offensive team and a bad pitching team. BUT, i agree with erick. We could find a closer to come in and fill kevin gregg's shoe's this year. Maybe when JJ and Sergio Mitre come back we could move ricky nolasco to closer, just a thought.
June 20, 200818 yr And since we'r talking trades, why not this one. Mike jacobs and kevin gregg for that Teagarden guy. He has very very good defense, a week for the marlins, and is good at the plate. We could then leave cantu at first and call up Mcpherson to play third.
June 20, 200818 yr How about this trade. Reds get; John Raynor, Josh Willingham and Chris Volstad Marlins get; Ryan Freel :ban
June 20, 200818 yr ...it's not as if we're trading Papelbon. Remember how Gregg became closer? With no experience...inserted b/c Julio sucked. It's not rare to see a middle reliever step in, and close...it just happens. And the Marlins have been able to do it plenty of times. If the Rangers offered Salty for Gregg (which is unlikely) you wouldn't do it? He's not Papelbon. But he is the guy who is pitching the best out of our bullpen. Lowest ERA, lowest WHIP. And I am not ready to give that away to strengthen our bats, who are the 4th best offense in the league. We need to strengthen our pitching, not weaken it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, Rab. I don't think there's really a wrong, here. A switch-hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia is, rather, rare to find. We do have a switch hitting catcher. He just sucks. But you honestly think that our weakness, what we need to shore up, is the 8th spot in our lineup? The 4th best hitting lineup in the league? I would love to get Salty, I am ready to ship Jacobs right up out of here. But I don't want to weaken our pitching, which is our main weakness weakness, going on a playoff run. a) That's the difference between Rabelo and Saltalamacchia, lol. b) If it's Jacobs...fine. But if Texas wants Gregg, I definitely wouldn't say no, either. I believe someone else could step in, and fill Gregg's "shoes," if that's the case b/c a catcher like Salty certainly isn't worth passing up when the other organization is asking for a guy like Kevin Gregg. See, that's the difference that I guess we need to agree to disagree on. I don't want to weaken the weakest part of the team, and you want to strengthen the strongest part of the team. more like getting a switch hitting catcher, who will not only help us this year, but in the next years, as well. By the way, since when is the bullpen the "weakest part of the team?" They're Top 12 in ERA in the big leagues (ABOVE average) despite the fact that they are Top 3 in innings pitched. How exactly are they so "weak?" You don't think ONE (1) of our middle relievers could convert saves, just like Gregg? I do...I don't know exactly who...but I'm sure someone can. If you can be successful in the middle innings, you could do it, in the 9th, as well. Heck, Joe Nelson got "closing" experience in Kansas City, and didn't do all that terrible. It's not the phenomenon some people make it out to be, in the 9th inning...and Gregg is just an average closer, to begin with. Pitching in general is the weakest part of the team. The more the starters are taxed, the more the bullpen is taxed. To weaken the bullpen is to weaken the pitching.
June 20, 200818 yr ...it's not as if we're trading Papelbon. Remember how Gregg became closer? With no experience...inserted b/c Julio sucked. It's not rare to see a middle reliever step in, and close...it just happens. And the Marlins have been able to do it plenty of times. If the Rangers offered Salty for Gregg (which is unlikely) you wouldn't do it? He's not Papelbon. But he is the guy who is pitching the best out of our bullpen. Lowest ERA, lowest WHIP. And I am not ready to give that away to strengthen our bats, who are the 4th best offense in the league. We need to strengthen our pitching, not weaken it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, Rab. I don't think there's really a wrong, here. A switch-hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia is, rather, rare to find. We do have a switch hitting catcher. He just sucks. But you honestly think that our weakness, what we need to shore up, is the 8th spot in our lineup? The 4th best hitting lineup in the league? I would love to get Salty, I am ready to ship Jacobs right up out of here. But I don't want to weaken our pitching, which is our main weakness weakness, going on a playoff run. a) That's the difference between Rabelo and Saltalamacchia, lol. b) If it's Jacobs...fine. But if Texas wants Gregg, I definitely wouldn't say no, either. I believe someone else could step in, and fill Gregg's "shoes," if that's the case b/c a catcher like Salty certainly isn't worth passing up when the other organization is asking for a guy like Kevin Gregg. See, that's the difference that I guess we need to agree to disagree on. I don't want to weaken the weakest part of the team, and you want to strengthen the strongest part of the team. more like getting a switch hitting catcher, who will not only help us this year, but in the next years, as well. By the way, since when is the bullpen the "weakest part of the team?" They're Top 12 in ERA in the big leagues (ABOVE average) despite the fact that they are Top 3 in innings pitched. How exactly are they so "weak?" You don't think ONE (1) of our middle relievers could convert saves, just like Gregg? I do...I don't know exactly who...but I'm sure someone can. If you can be successful in the middle innings, you could do it, in the 9th, as well. Heck, Joe Nelson got "closing" experience in Kansas City, and didn't do all that terrible. It's not the phenomenon some people make it out to be, in the 9th inning...and Gregg is just an average closer, to begin with. Pitching in general is the weakest part of the team. The more the starters are taxed, the more the bullpen is taxed. To weaken the bullpen is to weaken the pitching. We could always make another minor deal to acquire another bullpen pitcher...bullpen pitchers aren't terribly hard to find. Just look at ours... Miller and Nelson were two guys no one wanted, and we took the chance. Gregg was acquired for Chris Resop (lol?) ...Waechter, no one wanted either...done a nice job. Same with Gardy, last year. Plus, most of that "taxing" came earlier in the year; you have to consider the way Nolasco and Miller are pitching now, as opposed to the production we got from them, earlier in the year. The starters look like they're only getting better, and it will only get better once JJ comes back, and Hendrickson, is most likely out of the rotation. On the other hand, Treanor and Rabelo are only getting worse, and will only get worse...b/c bottom line is, they're not "nice potential" players. They are both backup catchers.
June 20, 200818 yr The Texas Rangers have zero interest in Mike Jacobs. Their future 1B will be either Justin Smoak or Chris Davis and the loser will be the DH. I would happily give the Rangers Scott Olsen for M.Ramirez and a prosect like John Mayberry who tehy have no room for anyways or Olsen to Cards for Bryan Anderson and Anthony Reyes or Chris Perez New Rotation A. Miller Nolasco Johnson and 2 from Tucker Volstad A. Reyes ?? De La Cruz
June 20, 200818 yr It's rather pointless to lay out actual trade proposals. It's more realistic to just select players that should be dealt and should be targetted.
June 20, 200818 yr ...it's not as if we're trading Papelbon. Remember how Gregg became closer? With no experience...inserted b/c Julio sucked. It's not rare to see a middle reliever step in, and close...it just happens. And the Marlins have been able to do it plenty of times. If the Rangers offered Salty for Gregg (which is unlikely) you wouldn't do it? He's not Papelbon. But he is the guy who is pitching the best out of our bullpen. Lowest ERA, lowest WHIP. And I am not ready to give that away to strengthen our bats, who are the 4th best offense in the league. We need to strengthen our pitching, not weaken it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, Rab. I don't think there's really a wrong, here. A switch-hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia is, rather, rare to find. We do have a switch hitting catcher. He just sucks. But you honestly think that our weakness, what we need to shore up, is the 8th spot in our lineup? The 4th best hitting lineup in the league? I would love to get Salty, I am ready to ship Jacobs right up out of here. But I don't want to weaken our pitching, which is our main weakness weakness, going on a playoff run. a) That's the difference between Rabelo and Saltalamacchia, lol. b) If it's Jacobs...fine. But if Texas wants Gregg, I definitely wouldn't say no, either. I believe someone else could step in, and fill Gregg's "shoes," if that's the case b/c a catcher like Salty certainly isn't worth passing up when the other organization is asking for a guy like Kevin Gregg. See, that's the difference that I guess we need to agree to disagree on. I don't want to weaken the weakest part of the team, and you want to strengthen the strongest part of the team. more like getting a switch hitting catcher, who will not only help us this year, but in the next years, as well. By the way, since when is the bullpen the "weakest part of the team?" They're Top 12 in ERA in the big leagues (ABOVE average) despite the fact that they are Top 3 in innings pitched. How exactly are they so "weak?" You don't think ONE (1) of our middle relievers could convert saves, just like Gregg? I do...I don't know exactly who...but I'm sure someone can. If you can be successful in the middle innings, you could do it, in the 9th, as well. Heck, Joe Nelson got "closing" experience in Kansas City, and didn't do all that terrible. It's not the phenomenon some people make it out to be, in the 9th inning...and Gregg is just an average closer, to begin with. Pitching in general is the weakest part of the team. The more the starters are taxed, the more the bullpen is taxed. To weaken the bullpen is to weaken the pitching. We could always make another minor deal to acquire another bullpen pitcher...bullpen pitchers aren't terribly hard to find. Just look at ours... Miller and Nelson were two guys no one wanted, and we took the chance. Gregg was acquired for Chris Resop (lol?) ...Waechter, no one wanted either...done a nice job. Same with Gardy, last year. Plus, most of that "taxing" came earlier in the year; you have to consider the way Nolasco and Miller are pitching now, as opposed to the production we got from them, earlier in the year. The starters look like they're only getting better, and it will only get better once JJ comes back, and Hendrickson, is most likely out of the rotation. On the other hand, Treanor and Rabelo are only getting worse, and will only get worse...b/c bottom line is, they're not "nice potential" players. They are, both, backup catchers. Bullpen pitching isn't that easy to find. Just because we got lucky with a ton of guys pitching over their career numbers doesn't mean we should keep testing our luck. If it was so easy to get, why are people out there signing guys like Benitez and Julio? Why did it take the Rays 10 years to get a good bullpen? As far as Resop goes, tons of fans were angry when we traded Resop. Resop was an actual prospect at one point, that just didn't work out. In the end, our bullpen might be the 12th in the bigs (Where do you find that stat? Baseball-Reference is failing me). But our lineup is the 4th best in the league, and I don't want to weaken the pen for the lineup.
June 20, 200818 yr It's rather pointless to lay out actual trade proposals. It's more realistic to just select players that should be dealt and should be targetted. Could is much better than should...so, I'll do my "could" be dealt list: 1) Mike Jacobs 2) Kevin Gregg 3) Josh Willingham Should be targetted... any young catcher we could receive in any trade, or perhaps, even a young pitcher. Amezaga COULD be traded, but I like him on the bench, and we're not getting much, if we trade him, anyways. Hendrickson will give us nothing, really. As far as Olsen goes...if we're talking about July, no. As of right now, he's been our most consistent starter this year, so if we're CONTENDERS right now, we can't trade Olsen (who if you look at his #'s has been our ace, this year). ...and before anyone calls me a hypocrite...no, I did not mention Dan Uggla, here. Dan Uggla will stay the whole year, and rightfully so...BUT, this doesn't mean I want Uggla getting a long-term deal, just yet. I love the way Uggla plays, but I'm waiting till Oct. 1 to decide whether he deserves a long-term deal or not. Uggla is still the type of guy, I believe, could be traded, at some point, if we can get a very good player or 2 in return. His value is as high as its gonna get, right now, imo, and we have a good prospect who can play 2B, in the minors...
June 20, 200818 yr i'm not sure how he did it, but you can do it via espn (team pitching stats, than under splits, select relievers)
June 20, 200818 yr ...it's not as if we're trading Papelbon. Remember how Gregg became closer? With no experience...inserted b/c Julio sucked. It's not rare to see a middle reliever step in, and close...it just happens. And the Marlins have been able to do it plenty of times. If the Rangers offered Salty for Gregg (which is unlikely) you wouldn't do it? He's not Papelbon. But he is the guy who is pitching the best out of our bullpen. Lowest ERA, lowest WHIP. And I am not ready to give that away to strengthen our bats, who are the 4th best offense in the league. We need to strengthen our pitching, not weaken it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, Rab. I don't think there's really a wrong, here. A switch-hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia is, rather, rare to find. We do have a switch hitting catcher. He just sucks. But you honestly think that our weakness, what we need to shore up, is the 8th spot in our lineup? The 4th best hitting lineup in the league? I would love to get Salty, I am ready to ship Jacobs right up out of here. But I don't want to weaken our pitching, which is our main weakness weakness, going on a playoff run. a) That's the difference between Rabelo and Saltalamacchia, lol. b) If it's Jacobs...fine. But if Texas wants Gregg, I definitely wouldn't say no, either. I believe someone else could step in, and fill Gregg's "shoes," if that's the case b/c a catcher like Salty certainly isn't worth passing up when the other organization is asking for a guy like Kevin Gregg. See, that's the difference that I guess we need to agree to disagree on. I don't want to weaken the weakest part of the team, and you want to strengthen the strongest part of the team. more like getting a switch hitting catcher, who will not only help us this year, but in the next years, as well. By the way, since when is the bullpen the "weakest part of the team?" They're Top 12 in ERA in the big leagues (ABOVE average) despite the fact that they are Top 3 in innings pitched. How exactly are they so "weak?" You don't think ONE (1) of our middle relievers could convert saves, just like Gregg? I do...I don't know exactly who...but I'm sure someone can. If you can be successful in the middle innings, you could do it, in the 9th, as well. Heck, Joe Nelson got "closing" experience in Kansas City, and didn't do all that terrible. It's not the phenomenon some people make it out to be, in the 9th inning...and Gregg is just an average closer, to begin with. Pitching in general is the weakest part of the team. The more the starters are taxed, the more the bullpen is taxed. To weaken the bullpen is to weaken the pitching. We could always make another minor deal to acquire another bullpen pitcher...bullpen pitchers aren't terribly hard to find. Just look at ours... Miller and Nelson were two guys no one wanted, and we took the chance. Gregg was acquired for Chris Resop (lol?) ...Waechter, no one wanted either...done a nice job. Same with Gardy, last year. Plus, most of that "taxing" came earlier in the year; you have to consider the way Nolasco and Miller are pitching now, as opposed to the production we got from them, earlier in the year. The starters look like they're only getting better, and it will only get better once JJ comes back, and Hendrickson, is most likely out of the rotation. On the other hand, Treanor and Rabelo are only getting worse, and will only get worse...b/c bottom line is, they're not "nice potential" players. They are, both, backup catchers. Bullpen pitching isn't that easy to find. Just because we got lucky with a ton of guys pitching over their career numbers doesn't mean we should keep testing our luck. If it was so easy to get, why are people out there signing guys like Benitez and Julio? Why did it take the Rays 10 years to get a good bullpen? As far as Resop goes, tons of fans were angry when we traded Resop. Resop was an actual prospect at one point, that just didn't work out. In the end, our bullpen might be the 12th in the bigs (Where do you find that stat? Baseball-Reference is failing me). But our lineup is the 4th best in the league, and I don't want to weaken the pen for the lineup. ...it took the Rays 10 years to get a bullpen b/c they had a horrible front office. Things have changed at a more rapid pace, since Friedman took over. As far as the stat... http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggreg...ng&type=reg
June 20, 200818 yr It's rather pointless to lay out actual trade proposals. It's more realistic to just select players that should be dealt and should be targetted. Players that should be traded Matt Lindstrom- overrated big time Scott Olsen - the Olsen of today reminds me of Mark Redman, I don't think it is a matter of "if" but when he starts getting racked again. Trade him while his value is high. (Something we didn't do with Willis) Mike Jacobs - just sucks, I can't think of a team that would be interested in him except the Giants who have Rich Aurilia at first and maybe the Mariners if they release Sexson Josh Williangham - solid player but to injury prone, won't have any value until he starts hitting for us again and is healthy
June 20, 200818 yr It's rather pointless to lay out actual trade proposals. It's more realistic to just select players that should be dealt and should be targetted. As far as Olsen goes...if we're talking about July, no. As of right now, he's been our most consistent starter this year, so if we're CONTENDERS right now, we can't trade Olsen (who if you look at his #'s has been our ace, this year). You don't think he has been rather lucky so far? for the ERA he currently has his W.H.I.P is pretty high, his K's are down as is his fastball and stuff.
June 20, 200818 yr i'm not sure how he did it, but you can do it via espn (team pitching stats, than under splits, select relievers) I know how to get the splits for the relievers, but I was actually trying to find a page where all the team relief stats were put up against each other. Also, looking at the splits, or ERA is only .23 (3.59 vs 3.82) under league average and our WHIP is actually SLIGHTLY OVER league average by 0.002 (1.375 vs 1.373). So, as far as being a playoff team, I would consider that a weakness.
June 20, 200818 yr ...it's not as if we're trading Papelbon. Remember how Gregg became closer? With no experience...inserted b/c Julio sucked. It's not rare to see a middle reliever step in, and close...it just happens. And the Marlins have been able to do it plenty of times. If the Rangers offered Salty for Gregg (which is unlikely) you wouldn't do it? He's not Papelbon. But he is the guy who is pitching the best out of our bullpen. Lowest ERA, lowest WHIP. And I am not ready to give that away to strengthen our bats, who are the 4th best offense in the league. We need to strengthen our pitching, not weaken it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, Rab. I don't think there's really a wrong, here. A switch-hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia is, rather, rare to find. Yes, there is. It's you.
June 20, 200818 yr It's rather pointless to lay out actual trade proposals. It's more realistic to just select players that should be dealt and should be targetted. As far as Olsen goes...if we're talking about July, no. As of right now, he's been our most consistent starter this year, so if we're CONTENDERS right now, we can't trade Olsen (who if you look at his #'s has been our ace, this year). You don't think he has been rather lucky so far? for the ERA he currently has his W.H.I.P is pretty high, his K's are down as is his fastball and stuff. His WHIP isn't exactly "ace" stuff, but it is a good .100 lower than league average for starters.
June 20, 200818 yr It's rather pointless to lay out actual trade proposals. It's more realistic to just select players that should be dealt and should be targetted. As far as Olsen goes...if we're talking about July, no. As of right now, he's been our most consistent starter this year, so if we're CONTENDERS right now, we can't trade Olsen (who if you look at his #'s has been our ace, this year). You don't think he has been rather lucky so far? for the ERA he currently has his W.H.I.P is pretty high, his K's are down as is his fastball and stuff. His WHIP isn't exactly "ace" stuff, but it is a good .100 lower than league average for starters. Its average so far but I feel its only a matter of time before his ERA goes over 4.5 and the WHIP over 1.4. Olsen stuff today is not what it once was. When he was considered a top prospect he use to work in the low 90's and touch 94-95 when he needed it, he also had a pretty nasty slider. The Olsen of today has a much better change-up but his fastball and slider are just average pitches.
June 20, 200818 yr i'm not sure how he did it, but you can do it via espn (team pitching stats, than under splits, select relievers) I know how to get the splits for the relievers, but I was actually trying to find a page where all the team relief stats were put up against each other. what I said does that (the link erik posted is the final result)
June 20, 200818 yr ...it's not as if we're trading Papelbon. Remember how Gregg became closer? With no experience...inserted b/c Julio sucked. It's not rare to see a middle reliever step in, and close...it just happens. And the Marlins have been able to do it plenty of times. If the Rangers offered Salty for Gregg (which is unlikely) you wouldn't do it? He's not Papelbon. But he is the guy who is pitching the best out of our bullpen. Lowest ERA, lowest WHIP. And I am not ready to give that away to strengthen our bats, who are the 4th best offense in the league. We need to strengthen our pitching, not weaken it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, Rab. I don't think there's really a wrong, here. A switch-hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia is, rather, rare to find. Yes, there is. It's you. Cool. Btw, you make a great argument. Thanks for the insight.
June 20, 200818 yr Gone fishing: The Marlins are so convinced they're going to be in the race to stay that other clubs report that they're beginning to hunt for center fielders, catchers and bullpen help. But this has never been a team interested in quick fixes. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=34...&type=story Except for when they trade at the deadline. Here are the names we've acquired at the deadline in the past 5 seasons: Villone, Lo Duca, Mota, Encarnacion, Seanez, Valdez, Urbina. How many of them were the Marlins counting on becoming long-term fixtures? That's why I don't think we'll see a deadline trade for a young catcher. The Marlins are making these moves to increase their chances of making the playoffs, not to fill holes in 2009's roster. There's not enough time left in this season to bring in an unproven catcher and let him a) get in sync with the pitching staff, and b) have his growing pains adjusting to major league pitching. Think more along the lines of Pudge Rodriguez, Bengie Molina, and Gerald Laird.
June 20, 200818 yr Gone fishing: The Marlins are so convinced they're going to be in the race to stay that other clubs report that they're beginning to hunt for center fielders, catchers and bullpen help. But this has never been a team interested in quick fixes. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=34...&type=story Except for when they trade at the deadline. Here are the names we've acquired at the deadline in the past 5 seasons: Villone, Lo Duca, Mota, Encarnacion, Seanez, Valdez, Urbina. How many of them were the Marlins counting on becoming long-term fixtures? That's why I don't think we'll see a deadline trade for a young catcher. The Marlins are making these moves to increase their chances of making the playoffs, not to fill holes in 2009's roster. There's not enough time left in this season to bring in an unproven catcher and let him a) get in sync with the pitching staff, and b) have his growing pains adjusting to major league pitching. Think more along the lines of Pudge Rodriguez, Bengie Molina, and Gerald Laird. come to think of it, i would love to have bengie molina on the florida marlins. Maybe Mike Jacobs and one of our pitching prospects should do it.
June 20, 200818 yr First off, Gregg is well worth trading if he doesnt improve he has blown 4 saves and has been shaky all year, if we were to trade him we would need another reliever though so I think the Marlins are just going to stick with it and hope he can come out of his slump and start dominating. As far as our starting rotation there is no doubt that Nolasco has been our Ace this year to argue that with Olsen is silly, Olsen is having a good year yea hes not getting much run support but he is off and on Nolasco has been better this year, period. :thumbup
June 20, 200818 yr First off, Gregg is well worth trading if he doesnt improve he has blown 4 saves and has been shaky all year, if we were to trade him we would need another reliever though so I think the Marlins are just going to stick with it and hope he can come out of his slump and start dominating. As far as our starting rotation there is no doubt that Nolasco has been our Ace this year to argue that with Olsen is silly, Olsen is having a good year yea hes not getting much run support but he is off and on Nolasco has been better this year, period. :thumbup This is gonna be fun Scott Olsen: Team Record in Appearances: 9-6 Run Support/G: 4.61 Shortest outing of year: 3.1 IP Longest outing of year: 8.2 IP Average Outing: ~6.1 IP Record: 4-4, 15 GS 3.51 ERA, 1.30 WHIP Ricky Nolasco: Team Record in Appearances: 8-7 Run Support/G: 5.08 Shortest outing of year: 2.2 IP Longest outing of year: 8.2 IP Average Outing: ~5.1 IP Record: 7-4, 13 GS 4.35 ERA, 1.364 WHIP --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, it's obvious you're basing your argument on W/L and the starter's most recent starts... Olsen has been the closest thing to our "ace", he gives up fewer runs, pitches more innings, and the team wins more games when he pitches... all this with less run support As for Olsen being "on and off" EVERYONE in our rotation has been... that's pretty weak Next time you wanna come with a bold statement, back it up... I will give you this however, Nolasco is our "ace of the moment" just like Miller has been, Hendrickson has been ... etc, Olsenhas been our best starter this year, EASILY
June 20, 200818 yr First off, Gregg is well worth trading if he doesnt improve he has blown 4 saves and has been shaky all year, if we were to trade him we would need another reliever though so I think the Marlins are just going to stick with it and hope he can come out of his slump and start dominating. As far as our starting rotation there is no doubt that Nolasco has been our Ace this year to argue that with Olsen is silly, Olsen is having a good year yea hes not getting much run support but he is off and on Nolasco has been better this year, period. :thumbup Olsen: 11 outings of 6 or more innings Nolasco: 6 outings of 6 or more innings Oh yeah, and Olsen's ERA is more than a full point lower. You could make the argument that Nolasco is our ace right now but on the year, Olsen has been better.
June 20, 200818 yr The sheer quality of pitchers and teams that Nolasco has beaten makes him the ace imo.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.