July 13, 200818 yr After that series in Colorado, Gregg has been lights out as the closer and showing that he can still get the job done. I noticed during last night's game, some people were starting to worry when Gregg came in to finish and he ended up getting 4 strikeouts in one inning. So do we all go back to believing in Kevin Gregg again, or shall it ever be time to reach for a bottle of Pepto Bismol when he comes in?
July 13, 200818 yr I don't know if anyone's made this comparison before me, but here goes. Gregg is this season's Braden Looper. Remember how Looper got booed when he was introduced at Dolphin Stadium at the beginning of his last season with us? I'd keep the Pepto Bismol and talk to your doctor about getting something even stronger. Yeah, Looper had his 'lightening in a bottle' moments, but overall, he sucked more than he succeeded.
July 13, 200818 yr He sure keeps games interesting doesn't he? Most closers have down period every season even Mo Rivera blows a couple in a row every year and people stress and then he'll save 20 in a row before blowing another. Hopefully that was gregg's low point of the year, still I wouldn't complain if the Fish picked a proven closer for the stretch.
July 13, 200818 yr Since all the hate started, he's only converted one one run save op. So I'd say no.
July 13, 200818 yr dude you just hate the guy, get over it, hes our closer and hesa pretty damn good one
July 13, 200818 yr dude you just hate the guy, get over it, hes our closer and hesa pretty damn good one Until the next time he blows a one run lead.
July 13, 200818 yr I can't understand all the hate for Gregg. Granted he's not the best closer in baseball, but he's done a pretty good job
July 13, 200818 yr Everyone must remember, we are like a weather vane, ever how the wind blow we turn, if he was to blow a svae today (hope not) tomorrow we will be reading to get rid of him or get him to a eye doctor, so lets take it in stride, enjoy it while we can.
July 13, 200818 yr Would you trust Gregg to save a game versus the Phillies with their best hitters due up? If you do...you're pretty naive.
July 13, 200818 yr I can't understand all the hate for Gregg. Granted he's not the best closer in baseball, but he's done a pretty good job The hate for Gregg is because he often completely loses control and starts walking people. There's nothing more annoying in baseball than a reliever who walks a ton of people. He is usually behind in the count as well, setting up a hitter's count where he can get hurt. I hope Gregg turns the corner as much as anyone else, but understanding the frustration over his struggles should be rather easy.
July 13, 200818 yr After that series in Colorado, Gregg has been lights out as the closer and showing that he can still get the job done. I noticed during last night's game, some people were starting to worry when Gregg came in to finish and he ended up getting 4 strikeouts in one inning. So do we all go back to believing in Kevin Gregg again, or shall it ever be time to reach for a bottle of Pepto Bismol when he comes in? He didn't get 4 K's.
July 13, 200818 yr I would say a reliable closer is good 80% of the time...is Gregg, this year? I will still be sweating a bit
July 13, 200818 yr I would say a reliable closer is good 80% of the time...is Gregg, this year? I will still be sweating a bit 77% save conversion.
July 13, 200818 yr I still don't trust Pinto or Gregg to throw strikes when the game is on the line. Fans should feel confident when their set-up man and closer come into the game with a lead, no matter how small the lead is. I don't feel confident. Quite the contrary, I get very anxious. Specially when the first pitch they throw is "low and outside, ball one....."
July 13, 200818 yr dude you just hate the guy, get over it, hes our closer and hesa pretty damn good one Until the next time he blows a one run lead. dude, he had a rough patch, doesnt mean his whole damn career is over and cant pitch, everyone goes through rough patches, you just happen to hate the guy and nothing he does will do anything about that
July 13, 200818 yr I still dont trust kevin gregg coming into a game with a 3 run lead. He gives up way to many walks. So if we were to trade him today i will be delighted.
July 13, 200818 yr After that series in Colorado, Gregg has been lights out as the closer and showing that he can still get the job done. I noticed during last night's game, some people were starting to worry when Gregg came in to finish and he ended up getting 4 strikeouts in one inning. So do we all go back to believing in Kevin Gregg again, or shall it ever be time to reach for a bottle of Pepto Bismol when he comes in? he's gone 5/5; 1/1 in 1 run save opps. He's also faced 2 mediocre lineups this week. The good thing is, he's throwing strikes. After that, it's not as impressive as you make it seem. It's actually his job to get the save. So, he better be able to go on a streak like this...
July 13, 200818 yr I don't know if anyone's made this comparison before me, but here goes. Gregg is this season's Braden Looper. Remember how Looper got booed when he was introduced at Dolphin Stadium at the beginning of his last season with us? I'd keep the Pepto Bismol and talk to your doctor about getting something even stronger. Yeah, Looper had his 'lightening in a bottle' moments, but overall, he sucked more than he succeeded. So you think Kevin Gregg has sucked more than he has succeeded?
July 13, 200818 yr I wouldn't go that far. Looper was one of the worst closers we have ever had. The only worse closer was Dan Milici. Gregg is starting to regain some of his form, it is almost a guaruntee that he won't be here next year and Lindstrom will become the closer but Gregg has done good as a closer for the 2 years he has been here.
July 13, 200818 yr I wouldn't go that far. Looper was one of the worst closers we have ever had. The only worse closer was Dan Milici. Gregg is starting to regain some of his form, it is almost a guaruntee that he won't be here next year and Lindstrom will become the closer but Gregg has done good as a closer for the 2 years he has been here. 1) You forgot about Jorge Julio. 2) Lindstrom (GREAT stuff)...BUT, he should have to prove he's worthy of a closers' spot before we just give it to him, imo.
July 13, 200818 yr I wouldn't go that far. Looper was one of the worst closers we have ever had. The only worse closer was Dan Milici. Gregg is starting to regain some of his form, it is almost a guaruntee that he won't be here next year and Lindstrom will become the closer but Gregg has done good as a closer for the 2 years he has been here. 1) You forgot about Jorge Julio. 2) Lindstrom (GREAT stuff)...BUT, he should have to prove he's worthy of a closers' spot before we jusy give it to him, imo. Jorge Julio did not have enough save opportunities to be considered the worst closer in marlins history. As for Lindstrom, I do not think we have anybody else who can immediately go into that closer role. Maybe a Doug Weachter but he is more of a long relief pitcher, Joe Nelson is the same way. Ryan Tucker needs 1 more year of middle relief appearances, maybe can be closer by July of next year. Unless we make a dramatic trade or free agent aquisition, Lindstrom will be our closer for next year.
July 13, 200818 yr I wouldn't go that far. Looper was one of the worst closers we have ever had. The only worse closer was Dan Milici. Gregg is starting to regain some of his form, it is almost a guaruntee that he won't be here next year and Lindstrom will become the closer but Gregg has done good as a closer for the 2 years he has been here. 1) You forgot about Jorge Julio. 2) Lindstrom (GREAT stuff)...BUT, he should have to prove he's worthy of a closers' spot before we jusy give it to him, imo. Jorge Julio did not have enough save opportunities to be considered the worst closer in marlins history. As for Lindstrom, I do not think we have anybody else who can immediately go into that closer role. Maybe a Doug Weachter but he is more of a long relief pitcher, Joe Nelson is the same way. Ryan Tucker needs 1 more year of middle relief appearances, maybe can be closer by July of next year. Unless we make a dramatic trade or free agent aquisition, Lindstrom will be our closer for next year. Don't we still have Gregg for another year? I'm not really worried, regardless...there are always surprise closers' every year. We're good at that, as well. We've done it with Jones, Borowski, and now Gregg. Lindstrom could probably do it, as well. However, Lindstrom has been horrible this year.
July 13, 200818 yr I wouldn't go that far. Looper was one of the worst closers we have ever had. The only worse closer was Dan Milici. Gregg is starting to regain some of his form, it is almost a guaruntee that he won't be here next year and Lindstrom will become the closer but Gregg has done good as a closer for the 2 years he has been here. 1) You forgot about Jorge Julio. 2) Lindstrom (GREAT stuff)...BUT, he should have to prove he's worthy of a closers' spot before we jusy give it to him, imo. Jorge Julio did not have enough save opportunities to be considered the worst closer in marlins history. Ugh...that's b/c he was so bad in his save opps. he didn't give himself a chance to get more. At least Looper got some saves. Julio had what was it...? 5? 6 chances? And converted 0?
July 13, 200818 yr I know I was one of the people to say I disliked Gregg and the amount of blown saves he has already is infuriating. That being said, Gregg is a solid Closer most of the time. If he can get his walks down and just have better control and throw more pitches for strikes he will be fine. Although he does have 6 blown saves notice they are not like Home Runs or crooked numbers to put the team down more than 1 run, now that shouldn't be an excuse but I was wrong about Gregg, do I love the guy? no. Is he a pretty solid closer? yes, most of the time. I think the Marlins and fans of the Marlins have been spoiled with how well we have done this year, so its no surprise that threads come up about moving players around, trading them and so on. :gofish
July 13, 200818 yr I wouldn't go that far. Looper was one of the worst closers we have ever had. The only worse closer was Dan Milici. Gregg is starting to regain some of his form, it is almost a guaruntee that he won't be here next year and Lindstrom will become the closer but Gregg has done good as a closer for the 2 years he has been here. 1) You forgot about Jorge Julio. 2) Lindstrom (GREAT stuff)...BUT, he should have to prove he's worthy of a closers' spot before we jusy give it to him, imo. Jorge Julio did not have enough save opportunities to be considered the worst closer in marlins history. Ugh...that's b/c he was so bad in his save opps. he didn't give himself a chance to get more. At least Looper got some saves. Julio had what was it...? 5? 6 chances? And converted 0? 3, all blown.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.