Jacobs to the Giants?

From Joe Frisaro

Amid the rumblings that the Marlins may be acquiring Manny Ramirez, comes another potential trade that would reshape the ballclub. There is strong speculation that first baseman Mike Jacobs could be headed to the Giants for catcher Bengie Molina.

Jacobs was lifted from Wednesday's game against the Mets in the sixth inning for defensive purposes. Typically, the lefty hitter will be replaced no earlier than the seventh inning.

"It crossed my mind," Jacobs said when asked if he felt he was removed early because of a trade. "Nobody came and said anything."

Asked if he would be surprised if he is traded, Jacobs said: "I would not be surprised. Anything at this point wouldn't surprise me."

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07...for_molina.html

Molina isn't much of an offensive upgrade.

Really?

Have you seen our catching situation?

Paul Hoover is on the roster. That says it all.

Plus, despite the lovefest for Baker on here, he's nothing special. Molina is an upgrade both offensively and defensively over him.

So after tonight we could be this:

1. Hanley

2. Willingham

3. Manny

4. Cantu

5. Uggla

6. Ross

7. Dallas

8. Molina

Beastly. I'd put the order as:

1. Hanley

2. Uggla

3. Cantu

4. Manny

5. Hammer

6. Ross

7. McDallas

8. Molina

*shudders*

1. Hanly

2. Molina

3. Cantu

4. Manny

5. Willingham

6. Uggla

7. Ross

8. McFearson

Please do it. When does Molina's contract end and what is his salary?

Molina, Hanley, Uggla, Manny, Olsen, Josh, Anibal, Ricky, Volstad..........Championship!

Per Cot's Baseball Contracts:

Bengie Molina c

3 years/$16M (2007-09)

signed as a free agent 12/06

07:$4M, 08:$6M, 09:$6M

performance bonuses based on games started as catcher

$50,000 for 80 GS, $75,000 for 95 GS, $0.1M for 105 GS, $0.125M for 115 GS, $0.15M for 125 GS

award bonuses: $0.1M for MVP, $0.1M for Gold Glove, $75,000 for WS MVP, $50,000 each for Silver Slugger, LCS MVP, All Star ($25,000 for selection)

Molina to donate $25,000 annually to Giants charity

Molina to participate in Athletic Performance Training Program each off-season at club's expense

2008 salary increases by 50% of performance bonuses earned in 2007

2009 salary increases by 50% of performance bonuses earned in 2007-08

no-trade protection

1 year/$5M (2006), plus $7.5M 2007 club option (Toronto)

signed as a free agent 2/06

$1.5M signing bonus

06:$3M, 07:$7.5M club option ($0.5M buyout) (declined)

4 years/$4.25M (2001-04), plus $3M 2005 club option

club exercised $3M 2005 option 11/04

$0.5M signing bonus

01:$0.225M, 02:$0.225M, 03:$1.3M, 04:$1.9M; 05:$3M club option ($0.1M buyout)

escalator may increase option to $5.1M

agent: Alan Nero

ML service: 8.077

Not only would this trade upgrade our catching, but it would also allow Cantu to go to first and us to call up McDallas.

This trade would make our ballclub infinitely better IMO.

That's not what they would do. Cantu would stay at third, Hammer would take 1B, Manny would take LF, Ross would move to RF, and we would have someone take over in center field.

You are fixating too much over the word "much." His OBP is terrible and I think Baker has the potential to match his SLG as early as this season.

I'm not opposed to Molina, but he will likely cost more than Jacobs. If we are going to give up that much I'd rather look for someone like Laird.

Not only would this trade upgrade our catching, but it would also allow Cantu to go to first and us to call up McDallas.

That's not what they would do. Cantu would stay at third, Hammer would take 1B, Manny would take LF, Ross would move to RF, and we would have someone take over in center field.

hmm..You know I like your thinking even more. It would be Fredo or Maybin in center and neither would need to give us much offense, just give us that extra range out in the triangle. :thumbup

You are fixating too much over the word "much." His OBP is terrible and I think Baker has the potential to match his SLG as early as this season.

I'm not opposed to Molina, but he will likely cost more than Jacobs. If we are going to give up that much I'd rather look for someone like Laird.

I dont know what to take from this, but Chris Davis, Texas young first baseman, started at 3rd today. They could have done this because they expect to get a first baseman (jacobs?) in return for laird or because they can then play salti, max ram and teagarden in the future between C, 1st, and DH...

Someone care to educate me on Dallas. I know he hits homers but thats about it.

Is he basically a Jacobs clone with a bit more power?

Not really.

In the PCL:

.301/.409/.688, 38 HR, 83 RBI. Keep in mind, this is a hitter's league, so the numbers are inflated.

Also keep in mind that Dallas has the 2nd highest OPS in the entire league, so not anyone can put up those numbers.

I don't think that's what they would do but it's certainly what they should do.

However, I would like to see McPherson getting a chance at some capacity.