Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fredi's anger

Featured Replies

Fredi's anger

 

> Posted by Mike Berardino at 9:53:06 PM

Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez doesn't throw his players under the bus. On the contrary, he's far more likely to defend them when they make mistakes, even those of the boneheaded variety.

 

That changed Monday night after this 4-2 loss to the Cardinals. A clearly steamed Gonzalez spoke with the media for less than a minute in his office.

 

When a radio reporter asked him if Dan Uggla had missed a sign in the ninth, when he was caught stealing at second after a leadoff walk, Gonzalez repeated an earlier sentiment about starter Anibal Sanchez.

 

"Sanchy pitched pretty good," he said.

 

With that, he spun away from the group and said, "I'm good. Thanks."

 

A little later, we found out that Uggla had indeed run in the ninth because he thought third-base coach Bo Porter had given him the steal sign. He did this even though he knew it didn't make any sense, given the Marlins needed two runs to tie.

 

"Basically, I messed up," Uggla said. "It was just kind of bam-bam. From here on out I?m going to realize the situation and take it upon myself to do the right thing."

 

Uggla also got thrown out stealing in the sixth after a one-out single, but that time it wasn't his fault. Wes Helms, perhaps the most fundamentally sound player on the team, missed a hit-and-run sign that could have given the Marlins runners at the corners with one out.

 

Helms 'fessed up after the game, noting it was only the second time all year he'd missed a sign. Earlier he missed a bunt sign and wound up hitting a game-winning homer.

 

"That kind of cleared it off," he said.

 

There was no clearing off this loss, not after a couple of senseless mistakes cost the Marlins dearly in a tight, meaningful ball game.

 

As Uggla said: "That?s stuff that shouldn?t happen. It just so happened that it happened tonight."

fredi is a d-bag. he needs to grow some balls and go out and argue with the umps once in a while. he needs to show that he's got the players's backs. also needs to keep the players in control and tell them when they're playing horrible.

I alomst spit my water up when i heard rich say there goes uggla. Hes usually pretty smart but wow dumb. He better get hot as hell with the bat for the rest of the year.

A little later, we found out that Uggla had indeed run in the ninth because he thought third-base coach Bo Porter had given him the steal sign. He did this even though he knew it didn't make any sense, given the Marlins needed two runs to tie.

 

"Basically, I messed up," Uggla said. "It was just kind of bam-bam. From here on out I'm going to realize the situation and take it upon myself to do the right thing."

 

Here's my issue with this bullsh*t excuse. If he thought the sign didn't make sense, why risk it? Think about it. If you read the sign wrong, go for the steal and get thrown out, you're an idiot. If you miss the sign and don't steal, who's going to even know about it?

 

You're a moron Dan Uggla, just admit it.

I alomst spit my water up when i heard rich say there goes uggla. Hes usually pretty smart but wow dumb. He better get hot as hell with the bat for the rest of the year.

 

What about Tommy. I thought he was going to kill someone..."The Marlins should just get a platter because they are handing this game to t Louis" I love Tommy

damn, I just for once wanted to see Fredi show some passion for this team. Turns out it was nothing, I wish he would've pulled an Ozzie.

damn, I just for once wanted to see Fredi show some passion for this team. Turns out it was nothing, I wish he would've pulled an Ozzie.

 

The day he does that is the day the Marlins win the division. :o

damn, I just for once wanted to see Fredi show some passion for this team. Turns out it was nothing, I wish he would've pulled an Ozzie.

 

The day he does that is the day the Marlins win the division. :o

 

 

 

 

 

I know managers are supposed to be level headed, but players DO get fired up when the manager rants, it shows the players that the coach is willing to get fined and look like a d*ck to management to show his players that he will do everything it takes to fire up his players and win a division title. The problem is Fredi is a kiss ass to management and wouldn't do anything that Loria says he shouldn't

So basically, he did nothing.

 

And Uggla's comments were sort of "Oh well, it happens." No Dan, it doesn't happen. It doesn't happen to people with a brain.

STOP blaming Fredi Gonzalez.

 

BLAME...Dan Uggla!

And what a piss-poor excuse. "It happens?"

 

First off, you don't MISS a sign in Game 119 of the season. It's not Spring Training anymore.

 

Second...even if you did "miss a sign..." are you stupid or what? That PLAY made no sense. Little Leaguers don't even make such mistakes.

 

Leaving men on base is one thing...making the a...RETARDED...baserunning blunder is another.

 

When you fail at logic / common sense . . . you were the failure of the game. And hopefully...you don't play (Uggla) in tomorrow's game.

There's no excuse for the baserunning blunder in the 9th tonight.

 

"It happens" makes it seem as if...well, do you care, really?

 

I wouldn't even talk to the media after such a retarded move. I've never played in the big leagues, nor will I ever play in the big leagues. What happened in the 9th tonight was so stupid, even the casual fan understands.

Took Fredi long enough to get pissed at his players. He looked like he had rage in his face when Uggla took off for second. :confused

I was just thinking... Didn't the pitch almost hit Wes? He should have took that sh*t when he saw Uggla's dumb ass running

I was just thinking... Didn't the pitch almost hit Wes? He should have took that sh*t when he saw Uggla's dumb ass running

it looks like it hit is jersey, and she of just ran up to first or did something. At least play it off. It looked like he tried for a split second but no one noticed so he stopped.

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

 

I just wanna see him blow up one time really, just for the hell of it. Selfish reasoning. I really think he's a good motivator though and our players seem to really like playing for him.

 

Also the caught stealing where the guy missed Uggla with the tag, Tommy pointed out, a pretty obvious blown call.

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

 

I just wanna see him blow up one time really, just for the hell of it. Selfish reasoning. I really think he's a good motivator though and our players seem to really like playing for him.

 

Also the caught stealing where the guy missed Uggla with the tag, Tommy pointed out, a pretty obvious blown call.

 

 

It was pretty hard to see from the dugout though. Even most of us watching on TV thought he was out at first.

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

 

I just wanna see him blow up one time really, just for the hell of it. Selfish reasoning. I really think he's a good motivator though and our players seem to really like playing for him.

 

Also the caught stealing where the guy missed Uggla with the tag, Tommy pointed out, a pretty obvious blown call.

 

 

It was pretty hard to see from the dugout though. Even most of us watching on TV thought he was out at first.

 

I thought he was safe. I'm pretty sure most in the game thread did as well. The reactions after it happened were 50/50, either "WTF Uggla" or "WTF he was safe".

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

 

I just wanna see him blow up one time really, just for the hell of it. Selfish reasoning. I really think he's a good motivator though and our players seem to really like playing for him.

 

Also the caught stealing where the guy missed Uggla with the tag, Tommy pointed out, a pretty obvious blown call.

 

 

It was pretty hard to see from the dugout though. Even most of us watching on TV thought he was out at first.

 

I thought he was safe. I'm pretty sure most in the game thread did as well. The reactions after it happened were 50/50, either "WTF Uggla" or "WTF he was safe".

 

 

I guess, but I could only tell after they showed a replay. Its pretty hard to call when you only get one chance, especially when you're 100 feet away.

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

 

I just wanna see him blow up one time really, just for the hell of it. Selfish reasoning. I really think he's a good motivator though and our players seem to really like playing for him.

 

Also the caught stealing where the guy missed Uggla with the tag, Tommy pointed out, a pretty obvious blown call.

 

 

actually when they showed the slow motion replay again while talking with Cookie and Striker they showed it from a different angle and the glove indeed nicked Uggla on the leg as he came down with the glove before he hit the dirt. So I think it was the right call. But I think the ball beat Uggla to the base and the tag was close enough that it was NOT an OBVIOUS bad call even if he did miss the tag.

We have no idea what Freddi told his players behind the scenes. I do not think that you will read that in any article. He may have laid into these guys a bit after this game. But either way these guys are all adults and I do not think that yelling and screaming at them is the way to motivate them anyhow.

 

As for this obsession some of you have with seeing Freddi get tossed. I don't get it, that does not really motivate the players much and it costs the team to have the manager sitting in the clubhouse instead of on the field. Besides, at what point yesterday was there ANYTHING worth Freddi getting tossed over?

 

I just wanna see him blow up one time really, just for the hell of it. Selfish reasoning. I really think he's a good motivator though and our players seem to really like playing for him.

 

Also the caught stealing where the guy missed Uggla with the tag, Tommy pointed out, a pretty obvious blown call.

 

 

It was pretty hard to see from the dugout though. Even most of us watching on TV thought he was out at first.

 

I thought he was safe. I'm pretty sure most in the game thread did as well. The reactions after it happened were 50/50, either "WTF Uggla" or "WTF he was safe".

 

 

I guess, but I could only tell after they showed a replay. Its pretty hard to call when you only get one chance, especially when you're 100 feet away.

 

It wasn't a 100% obvious blown call, but for a fan a little hungry to see Fredi blow his top, its enough to ask him to do something. I could see at least 5 other managers out to argue that call, including Ozzie, Lou and Bobby. Probably LaRussa as well.

 

Not mad that Fredi doesn't argue though, like I said, its my own selfish reasons, it would be nice to know he's got a pulse.

It wasn't a 100% obvious blown call, but for a fan a little hungry to see Fredi blow his top, its enough to ask him to do something. I could see at least 5 other managers out to argue that call, including Ozzie, Lou and Bobby. Probably LaRussa as well.

 

Not mad that Fredi doesn't argue though, like I said, its my own selfish reasons, it would be nice to know he's got a pulse.

Ozzie is a joke. He's a genius in 2005, but a sh*tting manager in 2006 and 2007. Now that his team is winning again, his "fire" has something to do with it.

 

Ozzie is one of the main examples of how objective that whole "fire" argument is.

I don't think Uggla is happy about the play.

 

 

There isn't an excuse he could give that would make any of us happy.

 

 

So what is it you all would like? He said he screwed up, move on.

 

 

Somehow Freddi popping an artery and trashing the clubhouse will fix things all of the sudden.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.