September 27, 200818 yr Author Don't think the Brewers would wanna give up Prince for Anibal given his struggles this year. And as for prospects doubt that would work cause they would want (a) player(s) that is/are ready to contribute now. I know thats a terrible trade but thats what im saying the only way wed get prince in if we gave up nothing. Prince is a FA this year right or up for arbitration? Prince is arbitration eligible next year.
September 27, 200818 yr Alright thats cool. JJ get those walks down. Now i just gotta figure out how to remember this bet. I guess ill just set reminder on my phone for march some time, ill probably remeber anyway i got a pretty good memory. I'll probably remember too. I remember things better after I ask someone to remind me. I'll try to figure a way out to remind me anyways.
September 27, 200818 yr This is not worth discussing! Fielder is a poor man's Frank Thomas. He is going to always be a great hitter, but his defense just keeps getting worse and worse every year and he just seems to get fatter. I don't want him on this team because pitching and defense wins games, and all Fielder will ever be able to do is hit the ball long distance, and get his two bagger here and there. So no, I don't want the prince on this team.
September 27, 200818 yr This is not worth discussing! Fielder is a poor man's Frank Thomas. He is going to always be a great hitter, but his defense just keeps getting worse and worse every year and he just seems to get fatter. I don't want him on this team because pitching and defense wins games, and all Fielder will ever be able to do is hit the ball long distance, and get his two bagger here and there. So no, I don't want the prince on this team. Fielder is a complete hitter. He keeps his average up, he hits to all fields, he gets on base a ton, and yes, he hits homers. His defense is bad but this "all he can do is hit homers" thing needs to stop.
September 27, 200818 yr Whats with everyone thinking Prince just hits bombs. Hes a very good hitter. Frank Thomas man i hated his swing, it was so ugly.
September 27, 200818 yr Would not trade Volstad for Pujols or Rodriguez, wow, i heard many a general manger say, any player can be traded for the right price,
September 28, 200818 yr Am I the only person who doesn't hate Jacobs??? Yeah, he was unsatisfactory defensively and he struck out a ton but its not like he was the worst 1st baseman in the MLB. He did add to our offense and is second on our team with RBI's. He doesn't even lead our team with strikeouts, which everyone complains about. He doesn't lead our team with errors either... just wondering why everyone seems to hate Jacobs?
September 28, 200818 yr Am I the only person who doesn't hate Jacobs??? Yeah, he was unsatisfactory defensively and he struck out a ton but its not like he was the worst 1st baseman in the MLB. He did add to our offense and is second on our team with RBI's. He doesn't even lead our team with strikeouts, which everyone complains about. He doesn't lead our team with errors either... just wondering why everyone seems to hate Jacobs? You know in some ways I totally agree with u. He provides a lot of homers and has over 90 rbi this season. I think basically it comes down to the fact that he is due to get paid possibly in the region of $3-4m next season, a figure that the team feels is not worth it considering there is certainly a few viable and cheaper options ready to take his place, eg Gaby Sanchez.
September 28, 200818 yr Am I the only person who doesn't hate Jacobs??? Yeah, he was unsatisfactory defensively and he struck out a ton but its not like he was the worst 1st baseman in the MLB. He did add to our offense and is second on our team with RBI's. He doesn't even lead our team with strikeouts, which everyone complains about. He doesn't lead our team with errors either... just wondering why everyone seems to hate Jacobs? You know in some ways I totally agree with u. He provides a lot of homers and has over 90 rbi this season. I think basically it comes down to the fact that he is due to get paid possibly in the region of $3-4m next season, a figure that the team feels is not worth it considering there is certainly a few viable and cheaper options ready to take his place, eg Gaby Sanchez. x2 and in a few year Logan Morrison
September 28, 200818 yr just wondering why everyone seems to hate Jacobs? Because he has a .300 OBP and absolutely no upside
September 28, 200818 yr just wondering why everyone seems to hate Jacobs? Because he has a .300 OBP and absolutely no upside You forgot the part of him being the worst defensive 1B in all of baseball.
September 28, 200818 yr just wondering why everyone seems to hate Jacobs? Because he has a .300 OBP and absolutely no upside You forgot the part of him being the worst defensive 1B in all of baseball. 11 errors, yeah i believe u can make a case for that. He would make an american league team like the Rays VERY happy next year
September 28, 200818 yr Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, Joey Votto, James Loney, and Daric Barton all have more (or equal) errors than Jacobs so he's not the worse 1st baseman in all of the MLB, granted he is not nearly the best but not the worst. I will agree that his OBP is horrid but he does provide a lot of offense. Although I highly doubt that we'll be keeping him (I agree he is not worth what he'll be demanding) his hitting is something that can be worked on in the offseason.
September 28, 200818 yr Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, Joey Votto, James Loney, and Daric Barton all have more (or equal) errors than Jacobs so he's not the worse 1st baseman in all of the MLB, granted he is not nearly the best but not the worst. I will agree that his OBP is horrid but he does provide a lot of offense. Although I highly doubt that we'll be keeping him (I agree he is not worth what he'll be demanding) his hitting is something that can be worked on in the offseason. He doesn't provide a lot of offense. He provides an average amount of offense at best. His lack of getting on base severely hurts any sort of argument you can make here. He makes tremendous amounts of outs from the 1B position. There are at least 20-25 1B in baseball that provide more offense. Like I said, he is an average starter at best with no upside. And errors are not an indication of defensive ability. Sure, they are part of it, but they don't account for range, throwing accuracy, throwing strength, picking ability, and other things that are not easily quantifiable. Jacobs is pretty much the worst defensive 1B in baseball, just how Willingham is pretty much the worst defensive LF in baseball, despite the pretty diving catch every now and then.
September 28, 200818 yr Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, Joey Votto, James Loney, and Daric Barton all have more (or equal) errors than Jacobs so he's not the worse 1st baseman in all of the MLB, granted he is not nearly the best but not the worst. I will agree that his OBP is horrid but he does provide a lot of offense. Although I highly doubt that we'll be keeping him (I agree he is not worth what he'll be demanding) his hitting is something that can be worked on in the offseason. Why are using JUST errors? Why not check OOZ, RZR, etc.? Mike Jacobs has the range of my grandmother, playing 1B. It's a joke...he belongs in the American League.
September 28, 200818 yr Yeah...Barton might be the best defensive 1B in baseball, at worst one of the best...and Jacobs is far and away the worse. Bad bad comparision. And Willie Glen won't be within 50 miles of our starting staff. Don't just look at minor league numbers. Look up a player. It's like the Miguel Fermin love. It's un-founded based soley on the stats they produced without taking in account HOW they produced those stats (by being old for the league). Glen is there to mentor. The fact he owned up the league was awesome, but his job was to mentor the AA staff.
September 28, 200818 yr He would make an american league team like the Rays VERY happy next year No he wouldn't. Carlos Pena is A LOT better. The Rays get as much offense against RHP (because that is all Jacobs can do in a DH role) with Gabe Gross or Eric Hinske. Jacobs makes absolutely no sense for them. Jacobs might work somewhere like Seattle, San Francisco, Washington, Baltimore, Kansas City, or even the Yankees if they don't buy Teixeira. But even still, it's going to be tough to move him for good value because he isn't a longterm answer and he's not that good.
September 28, 200818 yr And Willie Glen won't be within 50 miles of our starting staff. Don't just look at minor league numbers. Look up a player. It's like the Miguel Fermin love. It's un-founded based soley on the stats they produced without taking in account HOW they produced those stats (by being old for the league). Glen is there to mentor. The fact he owned up the league was awesome, but his job was to mentor the AA staff. Crash Davis is the man
September 28, 200818 yr Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.
September 28, 200818 yr He would make an american league team like the Rays VERY happy next year No he wouldn't. Carlos Pena is A LOT better. He might be better than Jacobs but Pena is still garbage. I would hope that the Rays wanted a better option than Pena, just like I would hope that theyd want a better option than Jacobs.
September 28, 200818 yr .871 OPS, got off to a slow start and has a .978 post all-star OPS, .994! OPS against RHP. Oh and he also plays above average defense how the hell does Pena suck?
September 28, 200818 yr He would make an american league team like the Rays VERY happy next year No he wouldn't. Carlos Pena is A LOT better. He might be better than Jacobs but Pena is still garbage. I would hope that the Rays wanted a better option than Pena, just like I would hope that theyd want a better option than Jacobs. "Garbage?" A career .851 .OPS...and currently one of the best defensive players at his position = "Garbage" to you? Pena's 2 years with the Rays have been very good.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.