Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 WORLD SERIES: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Featured Replies

And Furcal Chick: Can you just announce that you are a Rays fan now? It's quite obvious lol

 

She's changing her user name to "LongoriaChick" as we speak.

 

i'll admit the rays are my al team, but the braves are still my #1 team. and btw, matt garza is my fav ray, and i'm not changing my username. nice try guys.

 

This should be no problem for the Rays. The Red Sox are 10x the harder opponent than the Phillies.

 

The Phils aint even that good. I'm mean I never feared playing them once this year. Yet, I did fear playing the Rays.

 

Of course flukes do happen, like the Cardinals a few years back.

 

i think the cardinals won that series because the tigers didn't play for a week between the lcs and the world series and the cardinals played a 7 game nailbiter with the the mets that ended with beltran with the bat on his shoulder, keeping the cardinals hot. i expect the rays to win this series in 4 or 5 games.

I think the majority of the country would rather watch Steve Harvey re-runs than a Phillies-Rays World Series.

 

And Furcal Chick: Can you just announce that you are a Rays fan now? It's quite obvious lol

 

Then the majority of the country is full of idiots.

 

I completely agree. The Rays are probably the biggest story in sports history. Yes, I said SPORTS history, not just baseball history. You would think that the ratings in this series would be out the roof, but unfortunately... the country does not care to watch small market teams. I, for one, havn't been this excited about a World Series since '03. It should be fun to watch. Whoever doesn't watch it is just missing out on history.

Welll out of the three teams left, the Phillies were the biggest evil, followed by the Sox and then the Rays.

 

So even though I don't want to root for the Rays, they are the lesser evil! :D

 

DAMN YOU DODGERS! DAMN YOU!

Go Phillies Phuck the Rays!!!!!!

 

You are not a Marlins fan...

I'M NOT A RAYS FAN, that has nothing to do with being a Marlins fan in case you couldn't figure it out. Now if the Phils were playing the Marlins it would be Phuck the Phils, sorry I had to explain that you do not have to like a team to want to see them beat a team you like even less.

Go Phillies Phuck the Rays!!!!!!

 

You are not a Marlins fan...

I'M NOT A RAYS FAN, that has nothing to do with being a Marlins fan in case you couldn't figure it out. Now if the Phils were playing the Marlins it would be Phuck the Phils, sorry I had to explain that you do not have to like a team to want to see them beat a team you like even less.

 

You should never under any circumstance root for a division rival to win a championship. I can't stand the Rays either but there's no way in hell I'm gonna root for the Phagies to win the World Series. Do you really want their already annoying fans to come down here and brag about winning the World Series? Think about it...

I completely agree. The Rays are probably the biggest story in sports history. Yes, I said SPORTS history, not just baseball history. You would think that the ratings in this series would be out the roof, but unfortunately... the country does not care to watch small market teams. I, for one, havn't been this excited about a World Series since '03. It should be fun to watch. Whoever doesn't watch it is just missing out on history.

 

Why are they the biggest story in sports history? Because they went from last place to first place? Look at the 1990/1991 Braves, worst to first... very comparable, they had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Dave Justice... one Jim Presley (iLoL'd) and they went to a 7 game World Series, which they lost, with the Twins. So no, they probably aren't the biggest story in sports history, let alone baseball history, especially since Arizona and We (The Marlins) have won a World Series before them.

 

I agree with the rest, however

 

Also, Rachel has my heart for the "Eating glass" comment

I completely agree. The Rays are probably the biggest story in sports history. Yes, I said SPORTS history, not just baseball history. You would think that the ratings in this series would be out the roof, but unfortunately... the country does not care to watch small market teams. I, for one, havn't been this excited about a World Series since '03. It should be fun to watch. Whoever doesn't watch it is just missing out on history.

 

Why are they the biggest story in sports history? Because they went from last place to first place? Look at the 1990/1991 Braves, worst to first... very comparable, they had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Dave Justice... one Jim Presley (iLoL'd) and they went to a 7 game World Series, which they lost, with the Twins. So no, they probably aren't the biggest story in sports history, let alone baseball history, especially since Arizona and We (The Marlins) have won a World Series before them.

 

I agree with the rest, however

 

Also, Rachel has my heart for the "Eating glass" comment

 

I don't think they're the biggest story in sports history, but what puts them ahead of the Braves is that they have the two biggest powerhouses in baseball playing in their division.

I completely agree. The Rays are probably the biggest story in sports history. Yes, I said SPORTS history, not just baseball history. You would think that the ratings in this series would be out the roof, but unfortunately... the country does not care to watch small market teams. I, for one, havn't been this excited about a World Series since '03. It should be fun to watch. Whoever doesn't watch it is just missing out on history.

 

Why are they the biggest story in sports history? Because they went from last place to first place? Look at the 1990/1991 Braves, worst to first... very comparable, they had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Dave Justice... one Jim Presley (iLoL'd) and they went to a 7 game World Series, which they lost, with the Twins. So no, they probably aren't the biggest story in sports history, let alone baseball history, especially since Arizona and We (The Marlins) have won a World Series before them.

 

I agree with the rest, however

 

Also, Rachel has my heart for the "Eating glass" comment

 

I don't think they're the biggest story in sports history, but what puts them ahead of the Braves is that they have the two biggest powerhouses in baseball playing in their division.

 

What makes them powerhouses though? We did this in another thread... for the longest time (whoa-oh-oh-oh) the Rays, Jays and O's have been doormats, padding W/L totals for the Yanks/Sox... as the rest of that division gets better, as it has with the Jays and Rays being really good this year, the win totals will start to expose the Sox/Yanks for what they are. In all honestly, they've put up some good teams, but as bad as the other teams were, all they really had to do is assemble rosters built for the post-season, which they've managed to do. But when you have to rely on guys like Lowell, Ortiz, Drew and Varitek to play 162 games to get you INTO the playoffs, they lose that edge they once had. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the Yanks and Sox are "powerhouses", the Angels led the AL in wins because they padded them by facing the Rangers, A's and Mariners a lot... same principle...

I completely agree. The Rays are probably the biggest story in sports history. Yes, I said SPORTS history, not just baseball history. You would think that the ratings in this series would be out the roof, but unfortunately... the country does not care to watch small market teams. I, for one, havn't been this excited about a World Series since '03. It should be fun to watch. Whoever doesn't watch it is just missing out on history.

 

Why are they the biggest story in sports history? Because they went from last place to first place? Look at the 1990/1991 Braves, worst to first... very comparable, they had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Dave Justice... one Jim Presley (iLoL'd) and they went to a 7 game World Series, which they lost, with the Twins. So no, they probably aren't the biggest story in sports history, let alone baseball history, especially since Arizona and We (The Marlins) have won a World Series before them.

 

I agree with the rest, however

 

Also, Rachel has my heart for the "Eating glass" comment

 

I don't think they're the biggest story in sports history, but what puts them ahead of the Braves is that they have the two biggest powerhouses in baseball playing in their division.

 

What makes them powerhouses though? We did this in another thread... for the longest time (whoa-oh-oh-oh) the Rays, Jays and O's have been doormats, padding W/L totals for the Yanks/Sox... as the rest of that division gets better, as it has with the Jays and Rays being really good this year, the win totals will start to expose the Sox/Yanks for what they are. In all honestly, they've put up some good teams, but as bad as the other teams were, all they really had to do is assemble rosters built for the post-season, which they've managed to do. But when you have to rely on guys like Lowell, Ortiz, Drew and Varitek to play 162 games to get you INTO the playoffs, they lose that edge they once had. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the Yanks and Sox are "powerhouses", the Angels led the AL in wins because they padded them by facing the Rangers, A's and Mariners a lot... same principle...

 

The Red Sox and Yanks are powerhouses because they win and are the richest teams in the sport. The Yanks haven't won the series since 2000 but they've been in the playoffs every year since then until now. The Red Sox, of course, are also always in the playoffs and were the defending world champs. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Yankees (the biggest powerhouse in the history of sports) and the Red Sox (second most popular team in baseball) aren't powerhouses.

The Red Sox and Yanks are powerhouses because they win and are the richest teams in the sport. The Yanks haven't won the series since 2000 but they've been in the playoffs every year since then until now. The Red Sox, of course, are also always in the playoffs and were the defending world champs. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Yankees (the biggest powerhouse in the history of sports) and the Red Sox (second most popular team in baseball) aren't powerhouses.

 

Money and Popularity don't make powerhouses... and I just gave you a HUGE reason why they won as many games as they did... when 3/5ths of your division is pegged to lose 90 or so games, you don't have a lot of competition and considering you'll be playing your division a lot, those are a lot of easy wins... as opposed to playing other, better teams. Go figure, this year, when the AL East is actually competitive, those "Powerhouse" Red Sox only win 3 more games than the Phillies and the Yanks win FEWER, are the Phillies powerhouses? Of course not. Shoot, the Mets won 89 games (As many as the Yanks)... are THEY powerhouses???

PWG, to answer your question...just the fact that the Rays have been the laughingstock of the league for their entire history and have gone through probably the most rapid turn-around EVER. When you consider where they were before and where they are now...it's just incredible. The mind can't even comprehend it.

The Red Sox and Yanks are powerhouses because they win and are the richest teams in the sport. The Yanks haven't won the series since 2000 but they've been in the playoffs every year since then until now. The Red Sox, of course, are also always in the playoffs and were the defending world champs. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Yankees (the biggest powerhouse in the history of sports) and the Red Sox (second most popular team in baseball) aren't powerhouses.

 

Money and Popularity don't make powerhouses... and I just gave you a HUGE reason why they won as many games as they did... when 3/5ths of your division is pegged to lose 90 or so games, you don't have a lot of competition and considering you'll be playing your division a lot, those are a lot of easy wins... as opposed to playing other, better teams. Go figure, this year, when the AL East is actually competitive, those "Powerhouse" Red Sox only win 3 more games than the Phillies and the Yanks win FEWER, are the Phillies powerhouses? Of course not. Shoot, the Mets won 89 games (As many as the Yanks)... are THEY powerhouses???

 

Most "experts" would agree that the competition in the AL is superior to that in the NL, though. The Red Sox were 1 win away from beating the Rays and going to the World Series. Had they made it, they would have more than likely eaten the Phillies alive and been world champs again.

I'm going for the Phillies. I don't want another Florida team to have a Championship, we are supposed to be the kings of Florida baseball.

 

 

This is why I'm cheering on the Phils.

 

Go Phillies Phuck the Rays!!!!!!

 

You are not a Marlins fan...

I'M NOT A RAYS FAN, that has nothing to do with being a Marlins fan in case you couldn't figure it out. Now if the Phils were playing the Marlins it would be Phuck the Phils, sorry I had to explain that you do not have to like a team to want to see them beat a team you like even less.

 

You should never under any circumstance root for a division rival to win a championship. I can't stand the Rays either but there's no way in hell I'm gonna root for the Phagies to win the World Series. Do you really want their already annoying fans to come down here and brag about winning the World Series? Think about it...

 

 

Couldn't Marlin fans just use the argument that it took the Phillies 125 years to win two World Series titles, while it only took the Marlins 11 years?

Couldn't Marlin fans just use the argument that it took the Phillies 125 years to win two World Series titles, while it only took the Marlins 11 years?

 

I'd much rather rag on them for not winning anything since 1980. Besides, they would tie us in World Series victories whereas the Rays would need to win another one.

Couldn't Marlin fans just use the argument that it took the Phillies 125 years to win two World Series titles, while it only took the Marlins 11 years?

 

I'd much rather rag on them for not winning anything since 1980. Besides, they would tie us in World Series victories whereas the Rays would need to win another one.

 

If the Rays lose though, we can rag on them for not winning anything in franchise history.

Couldn't Marlin fans just use the argument that it took the Phillies 125 years to win two World Series titles, while it only took the Marlins 11 years?

 

I'd much rather rag on them for not winning anything since 1980. Besides, they would tie us in World Series victories whereas the Rays would need to win another one.

 

If the Rays lose though, we can rag on them for not winning anything in franchise history.

 

I'd rather rag on our division rivals as opposed to the one year wonder Rays. Call me crazy, but I foresee the Rays becoming irrelevant again in the not too distant future.

Couldn't Marlin fans just use the argument that it took the Phillies 125 years to win two World Series titles, while it only took the Marlins 11 years?

 

I'd much rather rag on them for not winning anything since 1980. Besides, they would tie us in World Series victories whereas the Rays would need to win another one.

 

If the Rays lose though, we can rag on them for not winning anything in franchise history.

 

I'd rather rag on our division rivals as opposed to the one year wonder Rays. Call me crazy, but I foresee the Rays becoming irrelevant again in the not too distant future.

 

:lol . I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of this statement.

 

Please stop being a Marlins homer and give credit where it is due. The Rays FO has done a superb job and has designed a team that should be able to compete for years and years.

Couldn't Marlin fans just use the argument that it took the Phillies 125 years to win two World Series titles, while it only took the Marlins 11 years?

 

I'd much rather rag on them for not winning anything since 1980. Besides, they would tie us in World Series victories whereas the Rays would need to win another one.

 

If the Rays lose though, we can rag on them for not winning anything in franchise history.

 

I'd rather rag on our division rivals as opposed to the one year wonder Rays. Call me crazy, but I foresee the Rays becoming irrelevant again in the not too distant future.

 

:lol . I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of this statement.

 

Please stop being a Marlins homer and give credit where it is due. The Rays FO has done a superb job and has designed a team that should be able to compete for years and years.

 

I have given them credit, in fact, I think their gonna beat the Phillies. However, I still don't see them maintaining this level of success considering they are a low payroll team like the Marlins. They can compete for the playoffs like the Marlins do, but I doubt they're gonna continue to outplay Boston and New York hence making them irrelevant like the Marlins to the rest of the baseball world. And what's so bad about being a Marlins homer anyway? :mis2

I think the majority of the country would rather watch Steve Harvey re-runs than a Phillies-Rays World Series.

 

And Furcal Chick: Can you just announce that you are a Rays fan now? It's quite obvious lol

 

Then the majority of the country is full of idiots.

 

I completely agree. The Rays are probably the biggest story in sports history. Yes, I said SPORTS history, not just baseball history. You would think that the ratings in this series would be out the roof, but unfortunately... the country does not care to watch small market teams. I, for one, havn't been this excited about a World Series since '03. It should be fun to watch. Whoever doesn't watch it is just missing out on history.

I still say it's the '69 Mets.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.