Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 WORLD SERIES: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Featured Replies

Looks like the Phagies are gonna win the World Series. I hope those of you rooting for them end up regretting it later on. :thumbup

 

Why would I regret it? 1. I think it's cool that a team in our division wins it all, shows that we play in baseball's best division and 2. I want the Marlins to remain the baseball team in Florida and only team to win the world series. If the Rays won they would become the great Cinderella story and Florida's team.

 

1. Rule #1 in the book of unwritten rules is that you never root for a division rival to win a championship.

 

2. Even if the Rays win, we still have more championships than them and the phillies.

 

3. The already annoying Philly fans will become even more annoying when they brag about winning it all next season.

 

I made the mistake of rooting for a division rival in the 2002 Super Bowl when I rooted for the Patriots. I couldn't stand Kurt Warner of the Rams because of all the comparisons he was getting to Dan Marino (my favorite player ever in any sport) so I wanted him and the annoying Rams to lose. I figured New England would just win it that year and fade away again, but little did I know that would be the beginning of a dynasty and they would nearly break the Phins' undefeated record. I know my rooting for them didn't have any outcome on that game, but when I look back on it now I feel disgusted. I will never EVER root for a division rival to win a championship ever again no matter what.

 

:lol I get where you're coming from man, but for some reason (admittedly, probably wrongly) I have just always considered the Devil Rays to be more of a rival than the Phillies. I just can't root for another Florida team...

Looks like the Phagies are gonna win the World Series. I hope those of you rooting for them end up regretting it later on. :thumbup

 

Why would I regret it? 1. I think it's cool that a team in our division wins it all, shows that we play in baseball's best division and 2. I want the Marlins to remain the baseball team in Florida and only team to win the world series. If the Rays won they would become the great Cinderella story and Florida's team.

 

1. Rule #1 in the book of unwritten rules is that you never root for a division rival to win a championship.

 

2. Even if the Rays win, we still have more championships than them and the phillies.

 

3. The already annoying Philly fans will become even more annoying when they brag about winning it all next season.

 

I made the mistake of rooting for a division rival in the 2002 Super Bowl when I rooted for the Patriots. I couldn't stand Kurt Warner of the Rams because of all the comparisons he was getting to Dan Marino (my favorite player ever in any sport) so I wanted him and the annoying Rams to lose. I figured New England would just win it that year and fade away again, but little did I know that would be the beginning of a dynasty and they would nearly break the Phins' undefeated record. I know my rooting for them didn't have any outcome on that game, but when I look back on it now I feel disgusted. I will never EVER root for a division rival to win a championship ever again no matter what.

 

:lol I get where you're coming from man, but for some reason (admittedly, probably wrongly) I have just always considered the Devil Rays to be more of a rival than the Phillies. I just can't root for another Florida team...

 

I understand where you're coming from also. Believe me, I've always hated the Rays and the stupid green uniforms they used to wear. I've always hated Florida teams that don't play in Miami and I wish there was a way for both World Series participants to lose. As much as I the Rays though, if they win this series the Marlins would still have more championships than them and I'll still be able to rag on the Phillies for not having won anything since 1980.

the rays chances were decent until blanton hit the homer. then they looked slim. this team is not hitting at all, the pitching isn't doing much, defense is sad, in short, these aren't the rays we've seen all year.

 

after the rays lost game one, i didn't panic, and i said that i will only start to panic if the rays were losing in their elimination game. i'm not panicking yet, even with hamels on the mound, but if kazmir coughs up more than 2 runs early, i think it's going to be over for the rays.

 

if the rays however show up tonight, i think they could win the series with a renewed sense of their team.

Looks like the Phagies are gonna win the World Series. I hope those of you rooting for them end up regretting it later on. :thumbup

 

Why would I regret it? 1. I think it's cool that a team in our division wins it all, shows that we play in baseball's best division and 2. I want the Marlins to remain the baseball team in Florida and only team to win the world series. If the Rays won they would become the great Cinderella story and Florida's team.

 

1. Rule #1 in the book of unwritten rules is that you never root for a division rival to win a championship.

 

2. Even if the Rays win, we still have more championships than them and the phillies.

 

3. The already annoying Philly fans will become even more annoying when they brag about winning it all next season.

 

I made the mistake of rooting for a division rival in the 2002 Super Bowl when I rooted for the Patriots. I couldn't stand Kurt Warner of the Rams because of all the comparisons he was getting to Dan Marino (my favorite player ever in any sport) so I wanted him and the annoying Rams to lose. I figured New England would just win it that year and fade away again, but little did I know that would be the beginning of a dynasty and they would nearly break the Phins' undefeated record. I know my rooting for them didn't have any outcome on that game, but when I look back on it now I feel disgusted. I will never EVER root for a division rival to win a championship ever again no matter what.

 

:lol I get where you're coming from man, but for some reason (admittedly, probably wrongly) I have just always considered the Devil Rays to be more of a rival than the Phillies. I just can't root for another Florida team...

 

I understand where you're coming from also. Believe me, I've always hated the Rays and the stupid green uniforms they used to wear. I've always hated Florida teams that don't play in Miami and I wish there was a way for both World Series participants to lose. As much as I the Rays though, if they win this series the Marlins would still have more championships than them and I'll still be able to rag on the Phillies for not having won anything since 1980.

 

 

See, If the Phillies win we can still laugh at them that it took 100 years to get to where we are at, and also didn't they lose their 10,000th game this year? They will always be a joke franchise. If the Rays win though, they can say they've been in the league five less years than us and have five more years to win another win to tie us...That team is stacked at the lower levels too, they have a better chance at being a great team for a long time than the Phillies.

  • Author

Game suspended due to rain? How bizarre.

 

It will resume tomorrow evening; question is -- will it be televised?

  • Author

I wonder how Philly fans are reacting to the "new" rule regarding suspended game scoring.

I wonder how Philly fans are reacting to the "new" rule regarding suspended game scoring.

I think even those demented fans would not want to win by not playing 9 innings, frankly it should have been suspended or just called off earlier, those conditions were terrible.......god bless TV contracts........go Rays!!!

Someone told me that they heard games 6 and 7 will be pushed back a day (if the Phillies don't win game 5). I haven't heard this. Can anyone confirm?

 

They would have to, obviously. Game 6 would have been tomorrow (I think) but they're playing the remainder of game 5.

Could this mean a new Mister November may emerge? Watch out Jeter!

Yeah, you're right. I should have known that.

 

or was it that they will have the day off for travel? that is unless evan longoria is going to become mr. november.

 

and btw, next year, game 7 will be on nov. 7th.

 

question: is it just me, or this world series heading towards becoming a disaster?

My understanding from Selig's comments is that if the Rays win, there will NOT be a travel day.

The game should have ceased by the 3rd inning, IMO. But then that raises another question. By the rules (which obviously aren't applying during this WS, and IMO good reasoning), dosen't that mean the game would start over again and all stats in this one would be meaningless? It just would have been more reasons for Philly fans to be screaming conspiracy.

 

I think Selig made the right decision and he just got lucky the score got tied. These are supposed to be the best two teams in MLB and I want to see an entire 9 (or more) inning game. You never know what will happen.

As a sports fan, I agree that Selig is doing the right thing considering the circumstances.

I just think it was bulls*** how they decided to pull the tarp out

right AFTER the Rays had tied it up... until then, everything was fine. >_>

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.