October 24, 200817 yr If the Marlins end up losing 2 of Hermida / Ross / Willingham...what are the odds they sign Bonds to play LF? Am I the only one who thinks this wouldn't be a terrible idea? Have Barry play the first 6/7 innings of the game...if Barry can't bring in some more fans, it will once and for all prove that no player is going to bring in extra fans. Most importantly, he would be one of the best hitters on the team...probably being paid the league minimum. Your thoughts?
October 24, 200817 yr I don't think it'd be a terrible idea at all, Nny has alluded to this several times too... I mean, I think he knows he's at the point in his career where he can't dominate a clubhouse like he used to and I certainly believe he can outproduce Gonzo, especially for the ML minimum. Heck, we don't need to lose BOTH Hermida and Hammer for this to potentially happen (assuming we keep Ross)
October 24, 200817 yr Barry Bonds will NOT put fans in the stands. A) Nobody likes him, B) He is not spanish, C) Nobody likes him.
October 24, 200817 yr Barry Bonds will NOT put fans in the stands. A) Nobody likes him, B) He is not spanish, C) Nobody likes him. Him being such a disliked person would be the reason why people would come, not stay away.
October 24, 200817 yr Whatever happened to that skinny kid in Pittsburgh? Someone told me the other day that there is another guy in the league with his name that was pretty good at hitting homers. They should get those two together for an interview, as it would make a nice humor piece.
October 24, 200817 yr I don't like Bonds but I have paid money to see him hit. Of course, that was a few years ago when he was at the height of his (steroid-enhanced) game, but there was a very electric feeling everytime he came up to bat, something that McGuire and Sosa never had. If any pitcher dared put anything close to the plate he would hit it out then he would walk to first base with that "I told you so, motherf@#$r" look on his face. Like it or not it was dramatic. On the other hand, in South Fla it may take alot more than that to arouse the usually pulseless fans ( MB.com members excluded...of course). For the minimum though I would consider it even if he was only 2/3 the player he was then.
October 24, 200817 yr Barry Bonds will NOT put fans in the stands. A) Nobody likes him, B) He is not spanish, C) Nobody likes him. Him being such a disliked person would be the reason why people would come, not stay away. Huh? :blink:
October 24, 200817 yr I think this is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. First of all, the guy is 44 years old and has been out of the game for a year. I don't know how much he has been training, but he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months. He has the knees of a 95 year old man. Oh yeah, and there's that whole federal indictment thing. We don't want to have to deal with that. Nobody does.
October 24, 200817 yr Stay away.... keep that P.O.S. as far away from this team as you can... he will destroy the clubhouse
October 24, 200817 yr I think this is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. First of all, the guy is 44 years old and has been out of the game for a year. I don't know how much he has been training, but he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months. He has the knees of a 95 year old man. Oh yeah, and there's that whole federal indictment thing. We don't want to have to deal with that. Nobody does. Eh, regardless, I think he'll still put up numbers. He proved it in '07. He's had a whole year of rest. And the guy fits right in with this teams new approach at the plate. Cut down on the K's, and walk all day. He'd be a great platoon partner with Cody...
October 24, 200817 yr I think this is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. First of all, the guy is 44 years old and has been out of the game for a year. I don't know how much he has been training, but he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months. He has the knees of a 95 year old man. Oh yeah, and there's that whole federal indictment thing. We don't want to have to deal with that. Nobody does. Eh, regardless, I think he'll still put up numbers. He proved it in '07. He's had a whole year of rest. And the guy fits right in with this teams new approach at the plate. Cut down on the K's, and walk all day. He'd be a great platoon partner with Cody... Iffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Barry Bonds were to sign, he would not be a platoon partner.
October 24, 200817 yr I think this is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. First of all, the guy is 44 years old and has been out of the game for a year. I don't know how much he has been training, but he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months. He has the knees of a 95 year old man. Oh yeah, and there's that whole federal indictment thing. We don't want to have to deal with that. Nobody does. Eh, regardless, I think he'll still put up numbers. He proved it in '07. He's had a whole year of rest. And the guy fits right in with this teams new approach at the plate. Cut down on the K's, and walk all day. He'd be a great platoon partner with Cody... Iffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Barry Bonds were to sign, he would not be a platoon partner. Uhhh... IF Bonds were to sign he would not be playing anymore than 120 games. Which makes him an ideal platoon partner. I'm actually pretty sure when his name came up on our radar a few years ago that was their intention with him.
October 24, 200817 yr I think this is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. First of all, the guy is 44 years old and has been out of the game for a year. I don't know how much he has been training, but he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months. He has the knees of a 95 year old man. Oh yeah, and there's that whole federal indictment thing. We don't want to have to deal with that. Nobody does. Eh, regardless, I think he'll still put up numbers. He proved it in '07. He's had a whole year of rest. And the guy fits right in with this teams new approach at the plate. Cut down on the K's, and walk all day. He'd be a great platoon partner with Cody... Iffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Barry Bonds were to sign, he would not be a platoon partner. Uhhh... IF Bonds were to sign he would not be playing anymore than 120 games. Which makes him an ideal platoon partner. I'm actually pretty sure when his name came up on our radar a few years ago that was their intention with him. A platoon suggests he would face just righties or just lefties. Is that what you are inferring?
October 24, 200817 yr I think this is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. First of all, the guy is 44 years old and has been out of the game for a year. I don't know how much he has been training, but he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months. He has the knees of a 95 year old man. Oh yeah, and there's that whole federal indictment thing. We don't want to have to deal with that. Nobody does. Eh, regardless, I think he'll still put up numbers. He proved it in '07. He's had a whole year of rest. And the guy fits right in with this teams new approach at the plate. Cut down on the K's, and walk all day. He'd be a great platoon partner with Cody... Iffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Barry Bonds were to sign, he would not be a platoon partner. Uhhh... IF Bonds were to sign he would not be playing anymore than 120 games. Which makes him an ideal platoon partner. I'm actually pretty sure when his name came up on our radar a few years ago that was their intention with him. A platoon suggests he would face just righties or just lefties. Is that what you are inferring? Yes, it is. I know Bonds can hit anyone, but Ross mashes lefties, and they both need their work. That would generate best results IMO.
October 24, 200817 yr If we wanted Bonds, I figured we would've gotten him this year when we were in the middle of a pennant race late in the season. If we didn't want him then, I doubt we want him after he's been not playing for six more months.
October 24, 200817 yr lol at people believing that Barry Bonds would platoon with Cody Ross. I mean come on, this is the EGO of Barry Bonds we are talking about, regardless that he would only play a limited # of games due to the fact that he is old and injury prone now, but their is no way he would join a team knowing he would sign as a platoon player, and he would without a doubt NOT sign for vet minimum. The biggest issue i have would be his influence on the younger guys coming up, mainly Cameron Maybin. Remember, we are in South Beach. Bonds would be a terrible influence on the guys in our club. I do not want a player like Bonds being a "mentor" to the rookies on my team, I would actually pay for him to STAY AWAY from my team.
October 24, 200817 yr I dont think it would be a terrible idea and sure hed put a couple more people in the seats but imo not alot more. Man i loved watching him hit those few years ago it was just amazing he seemd to know wha the pitcher was gonna throw before he threw it. I loved that look he had on his face up there like a i dare you to throw that sh*t over the plate and then boom gone and hes just rounds the bases like i told you so.
October 24, 200817 yr Author Almost forgot...Bonds isn't a "veteran leader." Forgot that was so important on here. As far as Barry not being ready b/c he hasn't faced live pitching in 13 months...no worries. He .OPS'd 1.045 as a 42 year old in the big leagues last year. Pretty sure he can adjust over time (especially if we sign him before Spring Training). He would take the league minimum...he has said it. As for the whole..."Barry is a bad influence on South Beach with youngsters like Cameron Maybin around"...what did Barry ever do that was so bad in a nightclub? We're talking about Barry Bonds...not "Pacman" Jones. If you don't like Hermida...and you don't like Bonds; I'm glad you're not the GM.
October 24, 200817 yr Yes, it is. I know Bonds can hit anyone, but Ross mashes lefties, and they both need their work. That would generate best results IMO. This argument is worthless just because it would never happen, but Bonds mashes lefties much better than Ross could anyway. Bonds would play until he needs a day off, if thats vs a lefty, so be it
October 24, 200817 yr Author A career .985 .OPS against lefties says that Barry Bonds would not be a platoon partner. He'd just need his Sunday's off.
October 24, 200817 yr I like the idea if it were possible. Not because I think he would make a huge impact on attendance, but then again, he is the all-time HR king. The main thing from my perspective is even if the guy would never hit even 30 HRs in a season again, just consider the fact that he never had an OBP below 400 since 1999. in 2007 his OBP was 480. Even if he wasn't playing everyday, we all know that it is something this team could use when facing quality pitching. I think the goal of all roster moves and signings should be to make the team good enough to win, and I think Bonds would do a lot more in that regard than did any of our other veteran pickups over the last few years.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.