2009 Florida Marlins LINEUP?

The_Punisher

I think the Marlins are seeing a young Luis Castillo in Emilio Bonifacio. He is a slap hitter, with lots of speed that has stolen 40-50 in the last 3 years, but hit a sorry .243 last year in limited action. But if he pans out what do you guys think of this lineup?

1-CF-Cameron Maybin

2-2B- Emilio Bonifacio

3-1B- Jorge Cantu

4-SS- Hanley Ramirez

5-LF- Dan Uggla

6-3B- Dallas McPherson

7-RF- Jeremy Hermida

8-C- John Baker

9-P- Josh Johnson

This can very well be our 2009 opening day lineup, and yes although we lose some pop here and there in the order, we regain defense and speed which is what this team is trying to do. McPherson, can provide the POP we lost, and Uggla in LF might not be such a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Bonaficio- 2B

Amezaga- CF

Hanley- SS

Cantu- 1B

Uggla- 3B

Ross / Mcpherson- LF

Hermida / Ross- RF

Baker- C

I don't see Hermida staying here, Bonaficio, Amezaga and Hanley would provide great speed at the top of our lineup, and I didn't put Maybin in CF because the FO doesn't want him up here yet, although a great Spring could easily earn him a spot up here. I want Baker at the bottom of the lineup due to his knowledge of finding spots to move runners.

Bonaficio- 2B

Amezaga- CF

Hanley- SS

Cantu- 1B

Uggla- 3B

Ross / Mcpherson- LF

Hermida / Ross- RF

Baker- C

I don't see Hermida staying here, Bonaficio, Amezaga and Hanley would provide great speed at the top of our lineup, and I didn't put Maybin in CF because the FO doesn't want him up here yet, although a great Spring could easily earn him a spot up here. I want Baker at the bottom of the lineup due to his knowledge of finding spots to move runners.

Please dont start with the whole McPherson to LF issue again.....

Bonaficio- 2B

Amezaga- CF

Hanley- SS

Cantu- 1B

Uggla- 3B

Ross / Mcpherson- LF

Hermida / Ross- RF

Baker- C

Oy, the logic. :banghead :banghead :banghead

Bonaficio- 2B

Amezaga- CF

Hanley- SS

Cantu- 1B

Uggla- 3B

Ross / Mcpherson- LF

Hermida / Ross- RF

Baker- C

Oy, the logic. :banghead :banghead :banghead

What do you mean they don't want him up here yet?? I guarantee you Beinfest wants him to be our starting center fielder, leading off on opening day.

1. Robert Andino - SS (why not? Since we're trading Uggla to replace with the great bat of Emilio Bonifacio :rolleyes: , why not move Hanley to replace him with Emilio Bonifacio Version 2.0!?! :rolleyes: )

2. Emilio Bonifacio - 2B (of course...he's the great one; despite the fact even Chris Coghlan is a better prospect...but y'know...Emilio IS a great name.)

3. Dallas McPherson / Wes Helms - 3B (improved defense...offense doesn't matter now that we have Emilio Bonifacio)

4. Gaby Sanchez - 1B (huge improvement over Mike Jacobs defensively...oh yeah, he's ok offensively, as well)

5. Cody Ross - RF (Hermida's a bum. Hermida is lazy and we all know this...even though we don't truly know him b/c well...we've never met him. Who cares if he .OPS'd at a clip over .850 as a 23 year old in the big leagues? OVERRATED, I tell 'ya! Overrated! Ross improves the defense, for sure!)

6. John Baker - C (he deserves it...no need for a right-handed hitting catcher either b/c he mashes big league left-handed pitching...ok, ok...maybe not. But the pitchers know him, and offense is irrelevant when you have pitching and defense. No need to improve the offense...we are replacing Dan Uggla with Emilio Bonifacio, after all).

7. John Raynor - LF (who cares if his K #'s keep increasing? Doesn't matter. He brings defense...AND SPEED! When you have defense and speed...offense is what you don't need! Who cares if Hermida outproduced John Raynor at AA, despite the fact Hermida was 3 years younger when he did so? Hermida is a bum...have you seen the way he approaches fly balls in RF? Can you imagine if we had more speed? Hey T.J..."who's ur mama?" CHAMPIONSHIP!)

8. Alfredo Amezaga - CF (as stated in this thread...the front office doesn't believe Cameron Maybin is ready, despite the fact every article written this offseason suggests otherwise. But clearly...we can read Admin Beinfest' mind. Plus, Amezaga tries really hard unlike Hermida, so he's a keeper. We would have 3 utility players starting...great versatility! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!)

Bonaficio- 2B

Amezaga- CF

Hanley- SS

Cantu- 1B

Uggla- 3B

Ross / Mcpherson- LF

Hermida / Ross- RF

Baker- C

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. .500/.543/1.106 in September >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "a great Spring"

Even if it weren't, duhhhhhhhhh :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

1. Robert Andino - SS (why not? Since we're trading Uggla to replace with the great bat of Emilio Bonifacio :rolleyes: , why not move Hanley to replace him with Emilio Bonifacio Version 2.0!?! :rolleyes: )

2. Emilio Bonifacio - 2B (of course...he's the great one; despite the fact even Chris Coghlan is a better prospect...but y'know...Emilio IS a great name.)

3. Dallas McPherson / Wes Helms - 3B (improved defense...offense doesn't matter now that we have Emilio Bonifacio)

4. Gaby Sanchez - 1B (huge improvement over Mike Jacobs defensively...oh yeah, he's ok offensively, as well)

5. Cody Ross - RF (Hermida's a bum. Hermida is lazy and we all know this...even though we don't truly know him b/c well...we've never met him. Who cares if he .OPS'd at a clip over .850 as a 23 year old in the big leagues? OVERRATED, I tell 'ya! Overrated! Ross improves the defense, for sure!)

6. John Baker - C (he deserves it...no need for a right-handed hitting catcher either b/c he mashes big league left-handed pitching...ok, ok...maybe not. But the pitchers know him, and offense is irrelevant when you have pitching and defense. No need to improve the offense...we are replacing Dan Uggla with Emilio Bonifacio, after all).

7. John Raynor - LF (who cares if his K #'s keep increasing? Doesn't matter. He brings defense...AND SPEED! When you have defense and speed...offense is what you don't need! Who cares if Hermida outproduced John Raynor at AA, despite the fact Hermida was 3 years younger when he did so? Hermida is a bum...have you seen the way he approaches fly balls in RF? Can you imagine if we had more speed? Hey T.J..."who's ur mama?" CHAMPIONSHIP!)

8. Alfredo Amezaga - CF (as stated in this thread...the front office doesn't believe Cameron Maybin is ready, despite the fact every article written this offseason suggests otherwise. But clearly...we can read Admin Beinfest' mind. Plus, Amezaga tries really hard unlike Hermida, so he's a keeper. We would have 3 utility players starting...great versatility! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!)

The only problem I have with that lineup is the lack of speed at C, 1B and 3B. Uggla for Chone Figgins anyone?

The only problem I have with that lineup is the lack of speed at C, 1B and 3B. Uggla for Chone Figgins anyone?

Good conditioning shall fix the problem!

I still like my projected lineup, and indications point to it being exactly as I wrote. Uggla in LF is something we must try, Hanley and Bonafacio make a better DP combo, and will make our infield what it use to be when Alex and Lui roamed it, while still having that offensive edge we had last year.

What makes you think Uggla can play the OF?

Why do we need to move someone to the OF when we're fine in the OF...Ross-Maybin-Hermida?

Why is Uggla moving when he's improved so much defensively...and actually had a good year last year, defensively?

What in the world makes you think Emilio Bonifacio can be an average (not even saying good...just average) hitter in the big leagues?

How the hell does this make us better?

I still like my projected lineup, and indications point to it being exactly as I wrote. Uggla in LF is something we must try, Hanley and Bonafacio make a better DP combo, and will make our infield what it use to be when Alex and Lui roamed it, while still having that offensive edge we had last year.

Why do we need to move someone to the OF when we're fine in the OF...Ross-Maybin-Hermida?

Why is Uggla moving when he's improved so much defensively...and actually had a good year last year, defensively?

What in the world makes you think Emilio Bonifacio can be an average (not even saying good...just average) hitter in the big leagues?

Am I the only one who knows anything about Bonafacio, am I the only one who actually did some research? This guy is going to pan out in the big leagues THIS YEAR, he is a beast in the base paths, he is a true contact hitter who was recently moved to the leadoff role but is catching on real quick. Only reason he batted so low was cause he was adjusting to his new role. The guy is getting more experience right now as we speak. He will be nice to have in the 2-hole for now with Maybin Leading off. Uggla in LF? Yeah, cause where else would we put him? I think he can adjust to the outfield, if you have actually played the game you would know that it's not hard to go to LF from any infield spot.

I don't hate Uggla in the outfield, and I really don't understand everyone's reasoning for the "Uggla will NEVER play the outfield" comments. He will lose value, sure. But if you actually want to make this team better, he has the range and arm to play out there.

I like the players you have on that lineup, but I would order it differently:

vs. RHP

1) Maybin CF

2) Baker C

3) Ramirez SS

4) Cantu 1B

5) Uggla LF

6) McPherson 3B

7) Hermida RF

8) Bonifacio 2B

vs. LHP

1) Maybin CF

2) Baker C

3) Ramirez SS

4) Cantu 1B

5) Uggla LF

6) Ross RF

7) Helms 3B

8) Bonifacio 2B

Ross-Maybin-Hermida havn't really proved anything.

Am I the only one who knows anything about Bonafacio, am I the only one who actually did some research? This guy is going to pan out in the big leagues THIS YEAR, he is a beast in the base paths, he is a true contact hitter who was recently moved to the leadoff role but is catching on real quick. Only reason he batted so low was cause he was adjusting to his new role. The guy is getting more experience right now as we speak. He will be nice to have in the 2-hole for now with Maybin Leading off. Uggla in LF? Yeah, cause where else would we put him? I think he can adjust to the outfield, if you have actually played the game you would know that it's not hard to go to LF from any infield spot.

Here, read this exchange.

Now go search Emilio Bonifacio's minor league statistics and begin to realize just how mediocre he is, as a hitter.

Olsen was worth more than this.

that's funny, all i can see at the bottom of Bonifacio's MILB page is how he's been a midseason and postseason allstar every year at every level.....

If Bonifacio comes in, plays awesome defense, gets on base at a .360 clip and steals 50 bases,,,,,,,

wait, that's Luis Castillo.

I'll be happy

That would be good, yes, but he has yet to post an OBP over .348 in any one of his ML or MiL stops (except for one .500 OBP stretch in 31 ABs at AAA in 2008).

Stolen bases are overrated; I'm more interested in his high ceiling with the glove.

He was .375 over 546 at bats in 2006, and .361 in 2008 (this year)

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/E...Bonifacio.shtml

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=466988

He has stolen 40, 41, 55, and 58 bases in a season,

for his career he's .341 and has shown marked plate improvement as he's moved up to harder competition.

First off, I clearly hope he turns out to be great.

I missed that .375 year, so I stand corrected - still, as a 21 year old in A+, i'm not too impressed.

As for 2008, you are correct that his Minor-League OBP was .361; however, the majority of his ABs (367) were in the PCL, where he only compiled a .348 OBP, which really isn't anything special.

And his .296 OBP in 169 ML ABs is Mike-Jacobs-bad. He is young, so hopefully it'll improve with time and more seasoning.

But, this guy will never hit for power. His defensive ceiling is high, thankfully, although he's made plenty of errors throughout his career (I know this isn't a great measure of defensive skills). But OBP needs to be his calling card if he's to be an everyday ML player. If you don't get on-base, you can't steal.

Plus, steals aren't that great.

And, for the record, I don't buy that "adjusting to his new role" crap. You don't hit differently as a leadoff hitter - you just do your best, and it's that simple. What, was he trying to get on base more as a leadoff guy? Well, that would imply that getting on base wasn't as important to him when he was in other lineup positions............and that's just plain dumb. If you can hit, you can hit anywhere in the lineup.

In fact, I would expect numbers to improve when you bat leadoff - your only job is to hit well (at least in the 1st inning). You're not worried about moving runners over of hitting sac fly's, the types of "situational hitting" that might drop a player's BA and OBP.

Bonifacio is a contact hitter? You sure? Is that why he's K'd over 100 times, 3 times in his minor league career? Who cares if he has speed? If you can't get to 1B, speed is irrelevant. What do you really think his .340 career minor league .OBP will translate to in the bigs, with his horrible K:BB rate?

You sure you did your research?

Why is it that just about every scout projects him to be a utility player?

Heck...if anything, Bonifacio would probably play a better LF than Uggla, if you want to go there.

Pretty amazing however, that we're sitting Cody Ross (who led all of baseball in .RZR last year...and was a + OF'er defensively, who provided offense, as well)...for Emilio Bonifacio.

That doesn't make this team better.

Uggla and Ross provide defense without hurting you offensively.

Uggla in LF and Bonifacio at 2B...you have offense in LF, with iffy production defensively (b/c you DON'T KNOW if Uggla can play the OF) + a 2B who can play defense, yet would hurt us badly, offensively.

That only makes the team worse.

Look up a stat...it won't hurt you.

I don't hate Uggla in the outfield, and I really don't understand everyone's reasoning for the "Uggla will NEVER play the outfield" comments. He will lose value, sure. But if you actually want to make this team better, he has the range and arm to play out there.

I like the players you have on that lineup, but I would order it differently:

vs. RHP

1) Maybin CF

2) Baker C

3) Ramirez SS

4) Cantu 1B

5) Uggla LF

6) McPherson 3B

7) Hermida RF

8) Bonifacio 2B

vs. LHP

1) Maybin CF

2) Baker C

3) Ramirez SS

4) Cantu 1B

5) Uggla LF

6) Ross RF

7) Helms 3B

8) Bonifacio 2B

So Gaby Sanchez stays in AAA? Personally, I'd plug him in against lefties while either sliding Cantu to 3B or letting Helms platoon over there (career .819 OPS vs LHP for Helms vs .773 for Cantu).

Am I the only one who knows anything about Bonafacio, am I the only one who actually did some research? This guy is going to pan out in the big leagues THIS YEAR, he is a beast in the base paths, he is a true contact hitter who was recently moved to the leadoff role but is catching on real quick. Only reason he batted so low was cause he was adjusting to his new role.

Ok this is getting annoying. There is some good peyote being sent around and I am not getting any of it. What gives?