November 15, 200817 yr MARLINS RECIEVED IS BOLDED! 3/25/2002 Chuck Smith Cash 3/27/2002 Antonio Alfonseca and Matt Clement Julian Tavarez, Jose Cueto, Ryan Jorgensen and Dontrelle Willis 3/28/2002 Jeff Bailey Future Considerations 7/11/2002 Ryan Dempster Juan Encarnacion, Wilton Guerrero and Ryan Snare 7/11/2002 Cliff Floyd, Wilton Guerrero, Claudio Vargas Graeme Lloyd, Mike Mordecai, Carl Pavano, Justin Wayne, & CASH Donald Levinski 1/2/2002 Charles Johnson, Preston Wilson, Juan Pierre, Mike Hampton, and Cash Vic Darensbourg, Pablo Ozuna 11/18/2002 Mike Hampton and cash Tim Spooneybarger and Ryan Baker 1/11/2003 Gary Knotts, Nate Robertson and Rob Henke Mark Redman and Jerrod Fuell 2/15/2003 Kevin Millar Cash 7/6/2003 Cash Chris Donnels 7/11/2003 Adrian Gonzalez, Will Smith and Ryan Snare Ugueth Urbina 8/31/2003 Denny Bautista and Don Levinski Jeff Conine 11/25/2003 Derrek Lee Hee-Seop Choi and Mike Nannini 12/13/2003 Juan Encarnacion Travis Ezi 12/16/2003 Mark Redman Michael Neu and a PTBNL: Bill Murphy 4/3/2004 Blaine Neal Ben Howard 4/8/2004 Marty McLeary Bryan Gaal 6/17/2004 Wilson Valdez and cash Billy Koch 7/11/2004 Future Considerations Chris Michalak 7/22/2004 Darren Oliver Cash 7/30/2004 Hee-Seop Choi, Brad Penny and Bill Murphy Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota and Juan Encarnacion 7/31/2004 Abraham Nunez Rudy Seanez 7/31/2004 Travis Chick Ismael Valdez 7/16/2005 Al Leiter Future Considerations 7/31/2005 Yorman Bazardo and Mike Flannery Ron Villone 11/16/2005 Ron Villone Ben Julianel 11/24/2005 Carlos Delgado and cash Mike Jacobs, Yusmeiro Petit and Grant Psomas 11/24/2005 Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell and Guillermo Mota Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Harvey Garcia Jesus Delgado 12/2/2005 Luis Castillo Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler 12/5/2005 Paul Lo Duca Gaby Hernandez and Dante Brinkley 12/7/2005 Juan Pierre Sergio Mitre, Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto 1/6/2006 Josh Wilson Future Considerations 3/28/2006 Zach McCormack and Lincoln Holdzkom Todd Wellemeyer 3/28/2006 Ryan Jorgensen Carlos Piste 5/26/2006 Cash Cody Ross 8/1/2006 Matt Blank Jim Brower 11/20/2006 Adam Bostick and Jason Vargas Henry Owens and Matt Lindstrom 12/20/2006 Chris Resop Kevin Gregg 3/27/2007 Yusmeiro Petit Jorge Julio and cash 5/13/2007 Jorge Julio Byung-Hyun Kim 5/31/2007 Randy Messenger Armando Benitez and cash 8/6/2007 Chad Hermansen Future Considerations 12/4/2007 Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Eulogio de la Cruz, Mike Rabelo, Burke Badenhop and Dallas Trahern 4/5/2008 Cash Wes Helms 10/30/2008 Mike Jacobs Leo Nunez 11/11/2008 Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham Emilio Bonifacio, P.J. Dean and Jake Smolinski 11/13/2008 Kevin Gregg Jose Ceda ................................................................................ .................... FA Signings 1/28/2003 Ivan Rodriguez 1 year/ $10M 12/7/2003 Luis Castillo (Re-signed) 3 years/ $16M 12/15/2003 Mike Lowell (Re-signed) 4 years/ $32M 11/6/2004 Armando Benitez 3 years/ $21M 12/8/2004 Al Leiter 1 year/ $7M 1/26/2005 Carlos Delgado 4 years/ $52M 12/8/2005 Dan Uggla Rule 5 (Diamondbacks) 5/17/2008 Hanley Ramirez (Extension) 6 years/ $70M 10/3/2008 Wes Helms 2 years/ $1.9M
November 15, 200817 yr Author 2 underrated trades were: Picking up Matt Lindstrom a solid pro for 2 guys (Bostick and Vargas) who are minor leaguers. Picking up Cody Ross for Cash (great deal)
November 15, 200817 yr The only one that really makes me sick is, Lee for Choi. I remember thinking at the time how bad that trade was. I was never a fan of Choi, he just looked so slow
November 15, 200817 yr How about just plain FA pickups? They've been amazing at those. Picking up guys from waivers and having them play very well. Miguel Olivo Dan Uggla (Rule V) Alfredo Amezaga Cody Ross (trade or waiver? - either way) Kevin Gregg Jorge Cantu Joe Nelson ... that's just off the top of my head... Can't say enough about the scouting in this organization. Got to be at or near the best in the league. The fact that they can pick up a FA like Kevin Gregg, have him be pretty decent, pick up a lot of saves, and then turn his value into a guy like Jose Ceda, is just amazing.
November 15, 200817 yr Based on the above I still maintain that Beinfest is an average GM. On top of the free agents and trades I'm somewhat displeased with his ability to draft talent.
November 15, 200817 yr Based on the above I still maintain that Beinfest is an average GM. On top of the free agents and trades I'm somewhat displeased with his ability to draft talent. He is really good at drafting. It's a strength. 2008 - Skip, Hand, Olmos, Brewer, Galloway < - Early reports are encouraging, and Galloway is a steal 2007 - Dominguez, Stanton, Petersen < - Top heavy, but awesome with Stanton in round 2 2006 - Coghlan, Cousins, Raynor, Sinkbiel, G. Taylor, Correa < - No stars, but likely contributers. This is solid 2005 - Volstad, Morrison, West, Thompson, Tucker, G. Sanchez, Marceaux, Winters, Leroux < - Potentially 7+ guys on 25 man roster 2010. Epic 2004 - Mobley, Tank, Vargas, Burns, Carroll < - Bad. Relievers and fringe outfielders 2003 - Kensing, Allison < - All sorts of bad 2002 - Hermida, Johnson, Olsen, Andino < - 3 starters and a bench guy. Great draft. So if we're counting at home Great drafts - 2002, 2005, 2007 Solid Drafts - 2006 Bad Drafts - 2003, 2004 We'll see what Skip and gang do next year, but this is a rock solid drafting record and WELL above average of other teams.
November 15, 200817 yr I think it might be important to credit MLBtraderumors.com as this is their list that they posted yesterday. I will give you credit for the most recent trades and the FA signings though. If everyone wants a professional style site, we should credit those who do the original work. Just my two cents.
November 15, 200817 yr Based on the above I still maintain that Beinfest is an average GM. On top of the free agents and trades I'm somewhat displeased with his ability to draft talent. He is really good at drafting. It's a strength. 2008 - Skip, Hand, Olmos, Brewer, Galloway < - Early reports are encouraging, and Galloway is a steal 2007 - Dominguez, Stanton, Petersen < - Top heavy, but awesome with Stanton in round 2 2006 - Coghlan, Cousins, Raynor, Sinkbiel, G. Taylor, Correa < - No stars, but likely contributers. This is solid 2005 - Volstad, Morrison, West, Thompson, Tucker, G. Sanchez, Marceaux, Winters, Leroux < - Potentially 7+ guys on 25 man roster 2010. Epic 2004 - Mobley, Tank, Vargas, Burns, Carroll < - Bad. Relievers and fringe outfielders 2003 - Kensing, Allison < - All sorts of bad 2002 - Hermida, Johnson, Olsen, Andino < - 3 starters and a bench guy. Great draft. So if we're counting at home Great drafts - 2002, 2005, 2007 Solid Drafts - 2006 Bad Drafts - 2003, 2004 We'll see what Skip and gang do next year, but this is a rock solid drafting record and WELL above average of other teams. Too early to call for 2007-2008. I also wouldn't consider 2002 a great draft yet. Andino amounted to nothing. Olsen was a huge disappointment for me (made even worse by the fact that we flipped him for nothing). I'm also a huge Hermida supporter myself but the considerable regression after the promising 2007 season leaves the jury still out. Let's hope he bounces back this season. Furthermore, 2003/2004 are more than 'bad' drafts. They were disasters. Right now I'll just say that he was brilliant in 2005. Out of trading/drafting/signing, I would lean toward saying that Beinfest's strongest ability is in signing players and making claims off of waivers.
November 15, 200817 yr Too early to call for 2007-2008. I also wouldn't consider 2002 a great draft yet. Andino amounted to nothing. Olsen was a huge disappointment for me (made even worse by the fact that we flipped him for nothing). I'm also a huge Hermida supporter myself but the considerable regression after the promising 2007 season leaves the jury still out. Let's hope he bounces back this season. Furthermore, 2003/2004 are more than 'bad' drafts. They were disasters. Right now I'll just say that he was brilliant in 2005. Out of trading/drafting/signing, I would lean toward saying that Beinfest's strongest ability is in signing players and making claims off of waivers. He drafted the top power prospect in the minors in the second round. 2007 is going to be good. Olsen developed into a MLB arm, that's all the draft is. Talent evaluation. So what he stopped whiffing people and didn't make it to a # 2 starter. Same with Hermida, he's a big leaguer. You produce two average starting pitchers, outfielder, and a bench guy that's a great draft. Let alone Johnson looks to be above average, and Hermida and Olsen still have plenty of years before their prime to show improvement. Just a little harsh. I don't like everything Beinfest does, but he's pretty damn good when it comes to talent evaluation.
November 15, 200817 yr I think by far the worst trade was the Derrek Lee trade. Other than that he's done a nice job.
November 15, 200817 yr I actually think the worst trade was Castillo for Bowyer and Tyler. If it's true we took Petit over Milledge in the Delgado deal, that's the worst trade to me. But no one has ever been able to confirm that even if we have our suspicions. If not, probably agree with you with Castillo, but that Olsen one is going to look pretty bad unless Smolinski turns into something.
November 15, 200817 yr You forgot to list the Jason Stokes (out of baseball) for John Baker trade 3/31/2007.
November 15, 200817 yr Im going to post this again about Choi... the Choi trade is certainly NOT the worst trade in Beinfest's history, there are several definitively above it... here's the rationale: Just to clarify, because this bothers me... Hee Seop Choi wasn't a horrible/bad/not good/average player for us... quite the contrary: .270/.388/.495 - in 95 games Are you kidding me? Plus 15 HRs... Hee Seop Choi may be the best kept secret in Marlins history... it's once he went West and landed us Paul LoL Duca that this: .161/.289/.242 happened. If you look at it through the view Nny took though, we really did OK on that trade... considering we couldn't afford Lee anyways and that the alternative was DFA... we got a 1B that essentially matched his 2003 production, wasn't horrible with the glove (though Nny can correct me if I'm wrong) and was significantly cheaper... It's not as if we got "burned" on the trade. We made a "money-first" trade and did really well considering we had ZERO leverage... because the conversation with the Cubs probably went like this... Cubs: We want Lee... you're either gonna trade him to us for Choi... or you're gonna wind up DFAing him and losing him for nothing Marlins: Sounds good... I assume similar conversations were had with the Orioles. Dodgers etc... and their "Chois" weren't as good/cheap And yes, I get your point that we don't "hands down win" every trade with the Cubs... but this trade always seems to be tagged with some negative connotation, when in fact it was pretty good Trades I would put "above" Lee/Choi in terms of "bad/useless": Petit for Julio Castillo for Bowyer/Tyler Encarnacion for Ezi Valdez + Cash for Koch (not because Valdez was particularly good, but because Koch was meh) Mark Redman for ONLY Mike Neu and PTBNL Seriously... Choi was pretty good
November 15, 200817 yr It's just a shame Travis Bowyer got hurt. Travis Bowyer was in camp this spring. He is (or was) still trying to make it. In fact he was there pre-spring with the guys working out in Jan-Feb.
November 15, 200817 yr agreed PWG, I thought the DLee - Choi deal was fine too. Have to wonder if the people who hated Choi were the same people who wanted DLee gone.
November 15, 200817 yr agreed PWG, I thought the DLee - Choi deal was fine too. Have to wonder if the people who hated Choi were the same people who wanted DLee gone. mhmmm exactly!
November 16, 200817 yr Any trade involving Armando Benitez (a second time) or Jorge Julio should be stricken from the record.
November 16, 200817 yr Any trade involving Armando Benitez (a second time) or Jorge Julio should be stricken from the record. Well, the Benitez trade wasn't that bad, really. I mean, sure, he wasn't good but all we lost was Messenger, who was only good for punching Scott Olsen.
November 16, 200817 yr Too early to call for 2007-2008. I also wouldn't consider 2002 a great draft yet. Andino amounted to nothing. Olsen was a huge disappointment for me (made even worse by the fact that we flipped him for nothing). I'm also a huge Hermida supporter myself but the considerable regression after the promising 2007 season leaves the jury still out. Let's hope he bounces back this season. Furthermore, 2003/2004 are more than 'bad' drafts. They were disasters. Right now I'll just say that he was brilliant in 2005. Out of trading/drafting/signing, I would lean toward saying that Beinfest's strongest ability is in signing players and making claims off of waivers. He drafted the top power prospect in the minors in the second round. 2007 is going to be good. Olsen developed into a MLB arm, that's all the draft is. Talent evaluation. So what he stopped whiffing people and didn't make it to a # 2 starter. Same with Hermida, he's a big leaguer. You produce two average starting pitchers, outfielder, and a bench guy that's a great draft. Let alone Johnson looks to be above average, and Hermida and Olsen still have plenty of years before their prime to show improvement. Just a little harsh. I don't like everything Beinfest does, but he's pretty damn good when it comes to talent evaluation. I think for talent evaluation you have to factor in the names that were passed over. I'm still liking the Hermida pick but it's troubling to see names like Kazmir, Hamels, and Cain being passed over. This is even when you consider that there was likely a stated goal of wanting to draft an outfielder over a pitcher.
November 16, 200817 yr Although I was for it at the time, I now believe that the Penny/Encarnacion - Lo Duca/Mota trade was a mistake in that Beinfest overvalued Lo Duca, who was pretty much an empty hitter with no defense as he was coming off of the steroids.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.