January 22, 200917 yr I really don't think Pudge is an upgrade. I firmly feel that Baker is our staring C. no matter what. Pudge would have been the back-up/platoon against LHP. You can say what you want about Rabelo getting the short stick last season, but there's no way Pudge isn't a better option than him.
January 22, 200917 yr Author jsprt picked up on something I miss - if we take these words as true, Samson is saying that they aren't going to spend any more money, whatsoever. I sure hope McDallas can play LF then.......... "...and I would say we are set..." does not mean they aren't going to spend any more money, whatsoever. If he wanted to make that proclamation he would have. If Samson meant the statement "I would say we are set," if it is how he truly feels, then doesn't that mean no transactions worth noting will be made? Whether he mentioned money almost means the same thing. He means that Samson will never shy away from flat out saying something. If he said we're set, I think Samson is saying we don't need Pudge, and we don't plan on overpaying for him. If he meant we weren't going to spend any more money, he would come right out and say "We're done spending money, we've reached our limit." That's a good point. But I think it may still be possible he meant the same thing? We haven't seen the whole transcript of this interview.... :mis2
January 22, 200917 yr Why do you guys listen to the weasel? Everything that comes out of his mouth is crap. If Pudge's demands go down, and the other teams stay disinterested...you don't think Admin Beinfest is going to show interest, when his next best option is Mike Rabelo? Doubt this is true.
January 22, 200917 yr Man, I bet even Rabelo is saying "Why won't they just get Pudge and not get stuck with me?"
January 22, 200917 yr Ivan Rodriguez-C-YankeesJan. 22 - 11:41 am etTeam president David Samson said Wednesday that there's "zero" chance of the Marlins signing Ivan Rodriguez. Florida was seemingly Rodriguez's most likely destination, but apparently not. The Marlins will go with John Baker as their starting catcher. "Our payroll has gone up significantly and I would say we are set," Samson said.Source: Palm Beach Post Rotoworld I guess it's Baker and Rabelo to the rescue. I think I'm going to puke. We havn't even signed anyone. We literally have only signed one new person who is guaranteed to make the team (Scott Proctor), and even he could be easily released. Samson is saying were "set" after adding only a relief pitcher with many question marks. I love the Marlins more than most, but jeez, they're killing me. I'm not looking for them to go out and foolishly start spending money on overvalued prima donas, I respect the Marlins for not doing that. But free agency exists for a reason, and that reason isn't for teams to have an outlet to release players. WE AREN'T TAKING ADVANTAGE OF FREE AGENCY. For us to be "set" is absurd! Just because we haven't signed anyone doesn't mean our payroll hasn't had a 60% increase.
January 22, 200917 yr Ivan Rodriguez-C-YankeesJan. 22 - 11:41 am etTeam president David Samson said Wednesday that there's "zero" chance of the Marlins signing Ivan Rodriguez. Florida was seemingly Rodriguez's most likely destination, but apparently not. The Marlins will go with John Baker as their starting catcher. "Our payroll has gone up significantly and I would say we are set," Samson said.Source: Palm Beach Post Rotoworld I guess it's Baker and Rabelo to the rescue. I think I'm going to puke. We havn't even signed anyone. We literally have only signed one new person who is guaranteed to make the team (Scott Proctor), and even he could be easily released. Samson is saying were "set" after adding only a relief pitcher with many question marks. I love the Marlins more than most, but jeez, they're killing me. I'm not looking for them to go out and foolishly start spending money on overvalued prima donas, I respect the Marlins for not doing that. But free agency exists for a reason, and that reason isn't for teams to have an outlet to release players. WE AREN'T TAKING ADVANTAGE OF FREE AGENCY. For us to be "set" is absurd! Just because we haven't signed anyone doesn't mean our payroll hasn't had a 60% increase. not hard for the payroll to not increase when your team payroll the previous season is less than half the 2nd lowest payroll in the majors
January 22, 200917 yr Ivan Rodriguez-C-YankeesJan. 22 - 11:41 am etTeam president David Samson said Wednesday that there's "zero" chance of the Marlins signing Ivan Rodriguez. Florida was seemingly Rodriguez's most likely destination, but apparently not. The Marlins will go with John Baker as their starting catcher. "Our payroll has gone up significantly and I would say we are set," Samson said.Source: Palm Beach Post Rotoworld I guess it's Baker and Rabelo to the rescue. I think I'm going to puke. We havn't even signed anyone. We literally have only signed one new person who is guaranteed to make the team (Scott Proctor), and even he could be easily released. Samson is saying were "set" after adding only a relief pitcher with many question marks. I love the Marlins more than most, but jeez, they're killing me. I'm not looking for them to go out and foolishly start spending money on overvalued prima donas, I respect the Marlins for not doing that. But free agency exists for a reason, and that reason isn't for teams to have an outlet to release players. WE AREN'T TAKING ADVANTAGE OF FREE AGENCY. For us to be "set" is absurd! Just because we haven't signed anyone doesn't mean our payroll hasn't had a 60% increase. not hard for the payroll to not increase when your team payroll the previous season is less than half the 2nd lowest payroll in the majors And? It's still increased significantly.
January 22, 200917 yr Is Pudge really only the only option Why does everyone forget about Lo Duca, hes stil out there and did pretty well platooning with Baker last seaosn hitting .300 vs LHP with the fish
January 22, 200917 yr Is Pudge really only the only option Why does everyone forget about Lo Duca, hes stil out there and did pretty well platooning with Baker last seaosn hitting .300 vs LHP with the fish Dude just get use to the name of Mike Rabelo as our 2009 backup catcher. Unless someone is cut in ST and picked up by the Marlins. That is certain to be the case
January 22, 200917 yr Ivan Rodriguez-C-YankeesJan. 22 - 11:41 am etTeam president David Samson said Wednesday that there's "zero" chance of the Marlins signing Ivan Rodriguez. Florida was seemingly Rodriguez's most likely destination, but apparently not. The Marlins will go with John Baker as their starting catcher. "Our payroll has gone up significantly and I would say we are set," Samson said.Source: Palm Beach Post Rotoworld I guess it's Baker and Rabelo to the rescue. I think I'm going to puke. We havn't even signed anyone. We literally have only signed one new person who is guaranteed to make the team (Scott Proctor), and even he could be easily released. Samson is saying were "set" after adding only a relief pitcher with many question marks. I love the Marlins more than most, but jeez, they're killing me. I'm not looking for them to go out and foolishly start spending money on overvalued prima donas, I respect the Marlins for not doing that. But free agency exists for a reason, and that reason isn't for teams to have an outlet to release players. WE AREN'T TAKING ADVANTAGE OF FREE AGENCY. For us to be "set" is absurd! Just because we haven't signed anyone doesn't mean our payroll hasn't had a 60% increase. not hard for the payroll to not increase when your team payroll the previous season is less than half the 2nd lowest payroll in the majors And? It's still increased significantly. Whats it projected to be? $38M?? It was $30M+ for the 2006 season. In two seasons it has raised less than $10M, that is not a real significant number.
January 22, 200917 yr I wonder what lo Duca is doing if anything to get ready for 2009. Most references to him are as a name on a free agent list rather than in the active sense, ala Pudge who is out trying to market himself, perhaps he's at peace with not playing, or not ready to unveil the 2009 model for the limited audience for aging catchers. I honestly don't know. Now that his name has popped up a few times maybe it's worth a good google news/blog search to find out more.
January 23, 200917 yr everyone wants pudge and he didn't have a great season last year. If they could get a younger guy I think they should. The money they would spend on Pudge might be better off keeping Baker, Rabelo and maybe signing LoDuca on cheap money.
January 23, 200917 yr The number of people who are constantly surprised by the team not adding payroll constantly surprises me. WE. DON'T. SPEND. EXTRA. MONEY. WE GIVE PERFORMANCE BONUSES OF $25,000 DOLLARS TO GUYS WITH MULTI MILLION CONTRACTS. FOR BETTER OR WORSE, EVERY $ COUNTS WITH THIS OWNER. HE ALREADY IS SPENDING A LOT MORE ON PAYROLL THIS YEAR THAN LAST. STOP ACTING SURPRISED THAT THEY WON'T SPEND "AN EXTRA" MILLION OR TWO FOR SOME BIG NAME YOU THINK WE NEED. sheesh /rant
January 23, 200917 yr Whats it projected to be? $38M?? It was $30M+ for the 2006 season. In two seasons it has raised less than $10M, that is not a real significant number. Marlins Opening Day payroll in 2006 was $15M. That means that the payroll for next season, which I very quickly estimated at $36M, is increasing about 140%.
January 23, 200917 yr I've been thinking. Why would Samson say something so extreme. I'm trying to run it through my mind. Maybe something went on between Pudge/his agent and our front office that soured a possible deal? Hmm. :mis2
January 23, 200917 yr I did try to find out a little about LoDuca but came up with only this (ignoring bloggers and the like) - around the 12th of the month, ten days ago, he was in negotiations with the Astros as a minor league signee, a job he ultimately lost out on, but having at least made one cut, although in the end the 'Stros chose someone else. So he is out there, at least in part, looking for employment.
January 23, 200917 yr WHY ARE WE WRITING IN ALL CAPS? :pullhair for the drama serioiusly, we have a "poor" owner. He isn't a businessman, in the traditional sense of having retail stores or car dealerships or a beer company behind him like other owners. He doesn't have billions in the bank, where the interest from his savings account pays for this hobby. He is wealthy compared to the rest of us, but his money came from/comes from the buying and selling of artwork - but realistically the income from the Marlins baseball operation probably accounts more percentage of how he pays the team than any other owner in sports. If any of us won the powerball for 100 million, we couldn't afford to run the Marlins out of that for too long. Realistically, he probably never should have been given permission to buy a team given his relatively short pockets.
January 23, 200917 yr I did try to find out a little about LoDuca but came up with only this (ignoring bloggers and the like) - around the 12th of the month, ten days ago, he was in negotiations with the Astros as a minor league signee, a job he ultimately lost out on, but having at least made one cut, although in the end the 'Stros chose someone else. So he is out there, at least in part, looking for employment. Please don't tell me you want Paul Lo Duca. B/c I mean...all this time you've been talking about getting a "catcher who can hit" instead of a "hitter who can catch." LoDuca, to make matters worse, does none of the above.
January 23, 200917 yr I did try to find out a little about LoDuca but came up with only this (ignoring bloggers and the like) - around the 12th of the month, ten days ago, he was in negotiations with the Astros as a minor league signee, a job he ultimately lost out on, but having at least made one cut, although in the end the 'Stros chose someone else. So he is out there, at least in part, looking for employment. Please don't tell me you want Paul Lo Duca. B/c I mean...all this time you've been talking about getting a "catcher who can hit" instead of a "hitter who can catch." LoDuca, to make matters worse, does none of the above. No Erick my troubled little one, I only looked into LoDuca because a few people in this thread mentioned him and not knowing what he was up to, and curious, I volunteered, sort of, to see what I could find. As for my quote, of course you're applying it out of context but why should tonight or your use of my words be different than any other night. The answer will be disappointing to you I fear, no I wasn't referring to Paul LoDuca. You can go back to your Playstation now. I do want to compliment you though on making it through at least one post without mentioning Emilio Bonifacio in a disparaging and insulting manner. Maybe I should compliment you twice, once for not mentioning him and once for not insulting the guy, although if you've posted more than three times today the chances are excellent you've already done that in some other thread.
January 23, 200917 yr Whats it projected to be? $38M?? It was $30M+ for the 2006 season. In two seasons it has raised less than $10M, that is not a real significant number. Marlins Opening Day payroll in 2006 was $15M. That means that the payroll for next season, which I very quickly estimated at $36M, is increasing about 140%. I meant 2007. Opening 2007 was $30M. Opening 2009 is around $38M. Two years, minimal increase.
January 23, 200917 yr Whats it projected to be? $38M?? It was $30M+ for the 2006 season. In two seasons it has raised less than $10M, that is not a real significant number. Marlins Opening Day payroll in 2006 was $15M. That means that the payroll for next season, which I very quickly estimated at $36M, is increasing about 140%. I meant 2007. Opening 2007 was $30M. Opening 2009 is around $38M. Two years, minimal increase. Why go two years back as opposed to one? How about three? Plus, find another business who's payroll increases 26% over two years. And, in the end, he wasn't talking about two years, or even three. He was talking about an increase from last year to this year. A 72% increase from your estimation.
January 23, 200917 yr The scarcity of FA catchers on the market who can hit lefties is incredible. There are only 8 FA catchers still unsigned; Bako, Bennett, Estrada, Fasano, Lo Duca, Pudge, Valentin, Varitek. We can pretty much eliminate Bako, Bennett, Fasano, and Valentin due to lack of talent. That leaves us with Estrada, Lo Duca, Pudge, and Varitek. We can pretty much eliminate Varitek as well because A) he will probably want way more than we can afford and B) He's a type A FA, so he'd cost us a draft pick. He would easily be the best option of the 4, though :confused So you're looking at Estrada, Pudge, Lo Duca. Estrada is the youngest of the bunch, would come cheap, and OPS'd 754 against LHP in '07. Downside is he had an injury plagued '08. Another thing is he has hit sub-700 OPS vs. LHP in his career, so we'd have to hope he can repeat his '07 production Pudge obviously is the most accomplished of the 3 and would be a nice to bring back for nostalgic purposes, but his production is decreasing at an alarming rate and probably couldn't contribute anything more than Rabelo could at this point Lo Duca struggled last year and didn't hit lefties for the first time in a while. He's getting old, and I don't think he has much left in the tank. Probably couldn't contribute anything more than Rabelo could either. So out of that group, I'm thinking Estrada would be the best option. Wouldn't hurt signing him to a cheap contract and seeing what he can do in ST.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.