January 23, 200917 yr The scarcity of FA catchers on the market who can hit lefties is incredibly bare. There are only 8 FA catchers still unsigned; Bako, Bennett, Estrada, Fasano, Lo Duca, Pudge, Valentin, Varitek. We can pretty much eliminate Bako, Bennett, Fasano, and Valentin due to lack of talent. That leaves us with Estrada, Lo Duca, Pudge, and Varitek. We can pretty much eliminate Varitek as well because A) he will probably want way more than we can afford and B) He's a type A FA, so he'd cost us a draft pick. He would easily be the best option of the 4, though :confused So you're looking at Estrada, Pudge, Lo Duca. Each of these guys has an advantage and disadvantage Estrada is the youngest of the bunch, would come cheap, and OPS'd 754 against LHP in '07. Downside is he had an injury plagued '08. Pudge obviously is the most accomplished of the 3 and would be a nice to bring back for nostalgic purposes, but his production is decreasing at an alarming rate and probably couldn't contribute anything more than Rabelo could at this point Lo Duca struggled last year and didn't hit lefties for the first time in a while. He's getting old, and I don't think he has much left in the tank. Probably couldn't contribute anything more than Rabelo could either. So out of that group, I'm thinking Estrada would be the best option. Wouldn't hurt signing him to a cheap contract and seeing what he can do in ST. In all honesty i would love to try to get all of them invited to ST well Pudge and Lo Duca more than Estrada, and put them in a few games mainly with LHP but also a few with some PHP and see who can produce more offensvily and still be able to place at least decent defense But there is very little to zero chances of that happening.
January 23, 200917 yr Whats it projected to be? $38M?? It was $30M+ for the 2006 season. In two seasons it has raised less than $10M, that is not a real significant number. Marlins Opening Day payroll in 2006 was $15M. That means that the payroll for next season, which I very quickly estimated at $36M, is increasing about 140%. I meant 2007. Opening 2007 was $30M. Opening 2009 is around $38M. Two years, minimal increase. Why go two years back as opposed to one? How about three? Plus, find another business who's payroll increases 26% over two years. And, in the end, he wasn't talking about two years, or even three. He was talking about an increase from last year to this year. A 72% increase from your estimation. Bro. Impressive calculations. You rounded off nicely.
January 23, 200917 yr I did try to find out a little about LoDuca but came up with only this (ignoring bloggers and the like) - around the 12th of the month, ten days ago, he was in negotiations with the Astros as a minor league signee, a job he ultimately lost out on, but having at least made one cut, although in the end the 'Stros chose someone else. So he is out there, at least in part, looking for employment. Please don't tell me you want Paul Lo Duca. B/c I mean...all this time you've been talking about getting a "catcher who can hit" instead of a "hitter who can catch." LoDuca, to make matters worse, does none of the above. No Erick my troubled little one, I only looked into LoDuca because a few people in this thread mentioned him and not knowing what he was up to, and curious, I volunteered, sort of, to see what I could find. As for my quote, of course you're applying it out of context but why should tonight or your use of my words be different than any other night. The answer will be disappointing to you I fear, no I wasn't referring to Paul LoDuca. You can go back to your Playstation now. I do want to compliment you though on making it through at least one post without mentioning Emilio Bonifacio in a disparaging and insulting manner. Maybe I should compliment you twice, once for not mentioning him and once for not insulting the guy, although if you've posted more than three times today the chances are excellent you've already done that in some other thread. I guess I should compliment you as well for not insulting Jeremy Hermida or Taylor Tankersley today. Although your comments on the reason we're letting Andino go are...quite funny. And for what it's worth, I mentioned Bonifacio on that thread. And I'll continue to call Bonifacio a bench player till he proves he's capable of being a starter.
January 23, 200917 yr I like Valentin, very good arm and pop in his bat. as a backup he might be an affordable solution. Is he better than Rabelo? Not sure but he can catch and hit it out of the park sometimes
January 23, 200917 yr I like Valentin, very good arm and pop in his bat. as a backup he might be an affordable solution. Is he better than Rabelo? Not sure but he can catch and hit it out of the park sometimes
January 23, 200917 yr I like Valentin, very good arm and pop in his bat. as a backup he might be an affordable solution. Is he better than Rabelo? Not sure but he can catch and hit it out of the park sometimes
January 23, 200917 yr Opening 2007 was $30M. Opening 2009 is around $38M. Two years, minimal increase. Really? How are you getting to 38. Assuming Uggla wins arbitration: C John Baker $405,000 1B G. Sanchez $400,000 2B Dan Uggla $5,350,000 3B Jorge Cantu $3,500,000 SS Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000 LF Jeremy Hermida $2,250,000 CF Cameron Maybin $400,000 RF Cody Ross $2,250,000 B Dallas McPherson $500,000 B Wes Helms $950,000 B Alfredo Amezaga $1,300,000 B Emilio Bonifacio $405,000 B Mike Rabelo $405,000 SP Josh Johnson $1,400,000 SP Ricky Nolasco $2,400,000 SP Chris Volstad $405,000 SP Andrew Miller $1,350,000 SP Anibal Sanchez $420,000 RP Matt Lindstrom $420,000 RP Leo Nunez $420,000 RP Scott Proctor $750,000 RP Logan Kensing $660,000 RP Reynel Pinto $420,000 RP Eulogio De La Cruz $400,000 RP Meyer/Kroenke $400,000 $33,060,000 < - or $5 million less
January 23, 200917 yr jsprt picked up on something I miss - if we take these words as true, Samson is saying that they aren't going to spend any more money, whatsoever. I sure hope McDallas can play LF then.......... "...and I would say we are set..." does not mean they aren't going to spend any more money, whatsoever. If he wanted to make that proclamation he would have. If Samson meant the statement "I would say we are set," if it is how he truly feels, then doesn't that mean no transactions worth noting will be made? Whether he mentioned money almost means the same thing. He means that Samson will never shy away from flat out saying something. If he said we're set, I think Samson is saying we don't need Pudge, and we don't plan on overpaying for him. If he meant we weren't going to spend any more money, he would come right out and say "We're done spending money, we've reached our limit." Exactly. Samson is not one to mince words. He says what he thinks, good or bad.
January 23, 200917 yr Opening 2007 was $30M. Opening 2009 is around $38M. Two years, minimal increase. Really? How are you getting to 38. Assuming Uggla wins arbitration: C John Baker $405,000 1B G. Sanchez $400,000 2B Dan Uggla $5,350,000 3B Jorge Cantu $3,500,000 SS Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000 LF Jeremy Hermida $2,250,000 CF Cameron Maybin $400,000 RF Cody Ross $2,250,000 B Dallas McPherson $500,000 B Wes Helms $950,000 B Alfredo Amezaga $1,300,000 B Emilio Bonifacio $405,000 B Mike Rabelo $405,000 SP Josh Johnson $1,400,000 SP Ricky Nolasco $2,400,000 SP Chris Volstad $405,000 SP Andrew Miller $1,350,000 SP Anibal Sanchez $420,000 RP Matt Lindstrom $420,000 RP Leo Nunez $420,000 RP Scott Proctor $750,000 RP Logan Kensing $660,000 RP Reynel Pinto $420,000 RP Eulogio De La Cruz $400,000 RP Meyer/Kroenke $400,000 $33,060,000 < - or $5 million less I was just guestimating. Thank you for proving my point even more though.
January 25, 200917 yr "GM Michael Hill said the Marlins like their catchers (projected starter John Baker, Mike Rabelo and prospects), aren't pursuing a veteran and likely will not sign Ivan Rodriguez, who told people he wants to play here." http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnis...ory/870921.html
January 25, 200917 yr "GM Michael Hill said the Marlins like their catchers (projected starter John Baker, Mike Rabelo and prospects), aren't pursuing a veteran and likely will not sign Ivan Rodriguez, who told people he wants to play here." http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnis...ory/870921.html with the market being the way it is we can get a really good deal for pudge. rather baker and rodriguez...rabelo should stay in the minors.
January 25, 200917 yr "GM Michael Hill said the Marlins like their catchers (projected starter John Baker, Mike Rabelo and prospects), aren't pursuing a veteran and likely will not sign Ivan Rodriguez, who told people he wants to play here." http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnis...ory/870921.html with the market being the way it is we can get a really good deal for pudge. rather baker and rodriguez...rabelo should stay in the minors. I hate to tell you this, but there is no way Pudge is signing for Leaue mimimun for anybody. If The Marlins want Pudge they will have to pay him. If you noticed Pudge, Varitek and LoDuca are still unsigned. There will be a ripple effect once one of them signs they will all be signed soon after
January 28, 200917 yr you guys are also talking about a team that let Joe Nelson, Doug Waechter, and Arthur Rhodes go becuase of 3.5 million dollars.....dont forget that.
January 28, 200917 yr you guys are also talking about a team that let Joe Nelson, Doug Waechter, and Arthur Rhodes go becuase of 3.5 million dollars.....dont forget that. While I agree with the Waechter and Rhodes thing, we let Nelson go because he didn't want to play here, it seems. All reports say that we offered this 34 year old journeyman money, he turned it down and wanted more, we then gave him exactly what he asked for and he turned it down and asked for even more. I'm not trying to pass judgement here, but it was also reported that he was shopping himself around during the winter meetings, before we even got into talks with him.
January 29, 200917 yr Author ? The Marlins make the most sense for my Miami neighbor Pudge if they can manage to scrape together a few nickels from the $40 million in revenue sharing/luxury tax monies they receive. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...eeagents/1.html
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.