March 31, 200917 yr The Marlins have optioned first baseman Gaby Sanchez to Triple-A New Orleans. The front runner to replace Mike Jacobs, Sanchez in essence lost out to Emilio Bonifacio. The Marlins will start the season with Bonifacio at third and Jorge Cantu at first. A Miami native and University of Miami product, Sanchez was the Southern League Most Valuable Player and was voted best defensive first baseman by league managers. The Marlins love his bat and he certainly doesn't hurt them with the glove. At various time during the offseason the Marlins said they were going to go with Sanchez. Ultimately, they determined they're better off with Bonifacio's speed in the lineup. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida...0,1821450.story
March 31, 200917 yr I remain unconvinced on the inevitability of Bonifacio, but this might bode well for Dallas
March 31, 200917 yr I hope Gaby realizes that although this is a disappointment, that he is young and technically he is still on the right track. He was AA last year and will do fin at AAA this year. We may see him this year (definitely in September) and next year he should have another great shot to be the man.
March 31, 200917 yr Woooow. This may be very smart, though. Get him some ABs, wait to bring him up and delay his arbitration clock. EB should be about league average, as Nny demonstrated so intelligently. And Cantu is much better defensively at first than he is at 3B.
March 31, 200917 yr Ah well it just wasnt to be based on his ST performances. I dont mind the fact that Bonaficio will be starting however I am concerned at where Maybin will bat as I was hoping he would be leading off but Fredi has said for weeks now that if EB makes the team, he loves him as a leadoff hitter.
March 31, 200917 yr Ah well it just wasnt to be based on his ST performances. I dont mind the fact that Bonaficio will be starting however I am concerned at where Maybin will bat as I was hoping he would be leading off but Fredi has said for weeks now that if EB makes the team, he loves him as a leadoff hitter. That makes an interesting. I personally want Maybin leading off, although I guess you could maybe stick him 2nd. I don't want EB leading off with Maybin 8th. Also, Badenhop was sent down. Looking better for Calero, I suppose, which I don't mind at all. I wonder if Burke will start or be a reliever in the minors.
March 31, 200917 yr Author Ah well it just wasnt to be based on his ST performances. I dont mind the fact that Bonaficio will be starting however I am concerned at where Maybin will bat as I was hoping he would be leading off but Fredi has said for weeks now that if EB makes the team, he loves him as a leadoff hitter. Yeah im wondering that now too. I was all ready to see Maybin hitting leadoff. Maybe we could possible have Emilio bat 1st, and then Maybin. Have the two speedsters at the top, much like we did with Pierre and Castillo
March 31, 200917 yr I hope Gaby realizes that although this is a disappointment, that he is young and technically he is still on the right track. He was AA last year and will do fin at AAA this year. We may see him this year (definitely in September) and next year he should have another great shot to be the man. He aint that young. He turns 26 late in the season(late August, early September IIRC). He was never going to be more than a stopgap at 1B anyway.
March 31, 200917 yr I think Badenhop projects as a starter because he is a sinker-baller and they tend to be starters. It's the pitch that gets better as the game goes on and you really need a feel for it.
March 31, 200917 yr Man that sucks for gaby. He was all but given the 1b job and he just didn't perform. Hopefully though he gets it back together down in NO.
March 31, 200917 yr I hope Gaby realizes that although this is a disappointment, that he is young and technically he is still on the right track. He was AA last year and will do fin at AAA this year. We may see him this year (definitely in September) and next year he should have another great shot to be the man. He aint that young. He turns 26 late in the season(late August, early September IIRC). He was never going to be more than a stopgap at 1B anyway. Yeah but he has plenty of options. He isn't like Andino or MacPherson who had to make the club or else.
March 31, 200917 yr This was the right choice. Gaby wasn't performing and can be called up later on. I like the speed factor and Emilio has improved defensively over Spring training.
March 31, 200917 yr Man that sucks for gaby. He was all but given the 1b job and he just didn't perform. Hopefully though he gets it back together down in NO. I think that could be the problem. He was virtually assured going into ST that he had the job so there wasnt really that much pressure on him to perform and win/earn the starting position.
March 31, 200917 yr This was the right choice. Gaby wasn't performing and can be called up later on. I like the speed factor and Emilio has improved defensively over Spring training. His defense is kind of negated by the fact that he is a poor man's Jose Castillio at the plate. Doesnt take walks, strikes out too much, and is completely devoid of power.
March 31, 200917 yr Yes, Emilio has a lot of knocks against him but at least he can play more than one position if needed. Gaby, what can he play besides 1b? I'm not saying that is a reason Gaby was sent down but Emilio can play more than one position. Now, what will happen with Andino and McDallas?
March 31, 200917 yr Yes, Emilio has a lot of knocks against him but at least he can play more than one position if needed. Gaby, what can he play besides 1b? I'm not saying that is a reason Gaby was sent down but Emilio can play more than one position. Now, what will happen with Andino and McDallas? Trade bait. I think Andino has the better shot of sticking around but I think come opening day that neither will be on the 25-man roster.
March 31, 200917 yr I think there is a very good chance that Andino is given away for a pack of chewing gum, and if the team cannot move Dallas that he will remain a Marlin, and start once Bonifacio demonstrates he is at least a year away.
March 31, 200917 yr I think there is a very good chance that Andino is given away for a pack of chewing gum, and if the team cannot move Dallas that he will remain a Marlin, and start once Bonifacio demonstrates he is at least a year away. From our perspective that makes sense (the keeping McPherson in part as insurance) although the front office as a group may have seen enough to conclude they can take the risk of moving him. It's really is too bad that DMP didn't show more this spring, he and Cantu have/had the chance to be very productive corner guys but you know everyone (the guys fight for a roster spot) comes into spring training knowing what they have to do to accomplish their goal of making the team and some do and some don't. Andino's really no different. I doubt this is the spring he wanted to have either.
March 31, 200917 yr Lol, Erick must be pissed! I like this move. Our infield D should improve ALOT this year. All EB has to do is have an OBP of at least .330.
April 1, 200917 yr I hope this is a temporary move, would rather nave Gaby at 1b until Logan is ready in August to take over. Not a big fan, with the exception of Cantu, of any of the options on this 1b/3b cluster.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.