May 19, 200917 yr Can't say I disagree with you, 2003. I feel the lack of talent ready to step in is more evident for our starting rotation than our lineup, but overall I agree. I hate it when players play hurt and it hurts their productions. Not that that is happening with Cantu, but I'd rather have him rested and blazing for the rest ofd the season than playing hurt and only producing at 85% (hyptohetically).
May 19, 200917 yr I dunno... I just don't think it's that easy to replace major league starting pitching, which has been a big part of the problem. And the fact that we don't have a close-to-ML-ready SP prospect doesn't have much to do with finances. Even the issues on offense, I'm not sure I see being due to payroll. Freddie's free to start Gload or Helms anytime. I mean if Maybin didn't work out they'd just have moved Ross back over to CF and gone with Hermida-Ross-Gload or something. Who expected both Ross and Uggla to be hitting like this?
May 19, 200917 yr Both from listening to DVH/Glen when at games and Tommy/Rich at home I've heard comments made that Cantu is still hampered by a sore wrist. Guys get banged up all the time and you can't just DL someone every time they have a little bump or boo boo, but Cantu's production is something this team counts on and that mean a healthy Jorge Cantu, and yes having a couple of journeymen starters toiling in `NOLA (that is why we moved there in the first place, so we could actually use our AAA franchise for something other than a launching pad) would come in handy now.
May 19, 200917 yr Author Basically this team is capable of doing good things. Heck, we won 11 out of 12 games to start the season and that wasn't an accident. We were first in the major leagues in hitting and runs scored after the first 12, now we're basically dead last. We were also ranked highly in pitching, but not the case anymore. I agree with the person that said the Marlins need to be injury free to perform. This team doesn't have much depth, especially when it comes to starting pitching. 3 out of our 5 starters not performing is just not going to get it done in the major leagues. Also, during the first 12 games, some hitters were struggling, for example Hanley started off the season extremely slow, but other guys picked him up. That's just not the case right now. Everyone is basically in a slump at the same time and that's evident in our abysmal record over the past 30 games. We just gotta hope that our players start getting back on track, and we need that to happen ASAP.
May 19, 200917 yr Injuries have always sunk our teams in the past. However, Uggla, Ross and Nolasco are not injured but are playing really horribly. At least if they were injured we could say that was part of their struggles.
May 19, 200917 yr Maybe a "real" manager that can fire this team up and maybe some right moves here and there will turn this team around!
May 19, 200917 yr Maybe a "real" manager that can fire this team up and maybe some right moves here and there will turn this team around! You should apply to be in one of Bud Light "Real Men of Genius Commercials". Just so I can't be accused of posts which don't even attempt to add anything to the conversation at hand................I agree that this team could have done more to stockpile a bit of AAA depth via the veteran FA market. Sure, most of those guys wouldn't belong on an ML roster, but if a couple of guys were playing decent ball, they could have at least provided a more serviceable option than Koronka. But, I mean, it again comes back to how bad that Wes Helms signing looks, especially at that price on an ML contract.
May 19, 200917 yr Usually people here incorrectly associate me with the "FO can do no wrong" camp, and this is one case where I think they were very short-sighted. Yes, I know Gaby is injured, there's lots of excuses (just continuing to use Cantu's situation as an example) but the bottom line is there is not enough major league ready/experienced talent in AAA especially considering how cheaply players were signing this spring. I really agree we needed to get more depth, especially 6th SP, but a lot of things went wrong. Things probably went as If there were OF problems, we'll call up John Raynor (ineffectiveness, .681 OPS in AAA) If there were CI problems, we'll call up Gaby Sanchez (injured, .931 OPS before going down) If there were OF or CI problems, and the previous entries are unusable, and he's lighting the world on fire, we'll call up Logan Morrison (injured, had a 1.722 OPS before going down) If there were MI problems, we'll call up Chris Coghlan. Unfortunately, with all the other options going to sh*t, that leads to Coghaln being in the OF, something I'm sure the FO had no desire to do before, and subbing in the IF when possible. Then you look at SP Ineffective: Sinkbeil, Thompson, West, Taylor (
May 20, 200917 yr I dunno... I just don't think it's that easy to replace major league starting pitching, which has been a big part of the problem. And the fact that we don't have a close-to-ML-ready SP prospect doesn't have much to do with finances. Even the issues on offense, I'm not sure I see being due to payroll. Freddie's free to start Gload or Helms anytime. I mean if Maybin didn't work out they'd just have moved Ross back over to CF and gone with Hermida-Ross-Gload or something. Who expected both Ross and Uggla to be hitting like this? Ross is hitting pretty much like Cody Ross hits. He's on pace for nearly 100 RBI and 20-25 homers. He's been better than Hermida in pretty much every category except OBP and average. I think Cody can do a lot better, but except for a few early homers Hermida hasn't done much of anything. He sure can take a walk, but in situations where you need him to swing the bat to get a big hit, he is practically useless. He is a prime reason why I think walks can be over-rated (in cases when a player is looking for a walk all the time and doesn't ever swing the bat). I'm just tired of seeing "Uggla and Ross' over and over without any mention of Hermida apparent lack of value either. Hermida is the absolute last person on this team I want to see come up to bat late in the game with runners on.
May 20, 200917 yr I'm just tired of seeing "Uggla and Ross' over and over without any mention of Hermida apparent lack of value either. Hermida is the absolute last person on this team I want to see come up to bat late in the game with runners on. I agree with the sentiment of not wanting him at the plate in a big RBI situation. But that's not the only thing hitting is about. He had a .766 OPS going into tonights game. That's 90 points above Cody's (and, you're talking about the entire season. Cody's finally got on it the past couple days but .581 OPS before his hit streak) and 110 over Uggla. Hermida was "expected" to be at a .800 OPS. he's not that far off that OPS. He's not doing it like we expected, but it's about the total runs you're able to create. Yeah, he's been horrible at driving runs in, but getting on base is very important. Yeah, he's still doing rather bad and we all want to see him get going, but he's far from the problem. He's 4th on the team on OPS, one of 4 with only a OPS over .700. Now Cody has also been hitting the ball well the past few games so he'll likely be off people's sh*t list soon.
May 20, 200917 yr I dunno... I just don't think it's that easy to replace major league starting pitching, which has been a big part of the problem. And the fact that we don't have a close-to-ML-ready SP prospect doesn't have much to do with finances. Even the issues on offense, I'm not sure I see being due to payroll. Freddie's free to start Gload or Helms anytime. I mean if Maybin didn't work out they'd just have moved Ross back over to CF and gone with Hermida-Ross-Gload or something. Who expected both Ross and Uggla to be hitting like this? Ross is hitting pretty much like Cody Ross hits. He's on pace for nearly 100 RBI and 20-25 homers. He's been better than Hermida in pretty much every category except OBP and average. I think Cody can do a lot better, but except for a few early homers Hermida hasn't done much of anything. He sure can take a walk, but in situations where you need him to swing the bat to get a big hit, he is practically useless. He is a prime reason why I think walks can be over-rated (in cases when a player is looking for a walk all the time and doesn't ever swing the bat). I'm just tired of seeing "Uggla and Ross' over and over without any mention of Hermida apparent lack of value either. Hermida is the absolute last person on this team I want to see come up to bat late in the game with runners on. I don't think Hermida's been very good either. I'll take the '09 version of Hermida over the '08 version though.
May 20, 200917 yr :fit this team blows. once again the pitchers couldn't hold a lead today. this day just keeps getting worse. first the kings get the 4th freakin pick and now the marlins allow 5 runs in the 7th and lose
May 20, 200917 yr 12-21 against teams other than the Nats doesn't suck? Please.... this team blows. once again the pitchers couldn't hold a lead today. this day just keeps getting worse. first the kings get the 4th freakin pick and now the marlins allow 5 runs in the 7th and lose We've seen strokes of brilliance from this team. They are just struggling mightily as of late. Hopefully they can turn it around. I don't think the team "sucks" as has been so eloquently put, I just think the team is struggling and certain aspects of the team has been inconsistent. When the starting pitching is doing well the offense is struggling. When we put up runs, the bullpen struggles. If the team can put everything together we will be in great shape.
May 20, 200917 yr I dunno... I just don't think it's that easy to replace major league starting pitching, which has been a big part of the problem. And the fact that we don't have a close-to-ML-ready SP prospect doesn't have much to do with finances. Even the issues on offense, I'm not sure I see being due to payroll. Freddie's free to start Gload or Helms anytime. I mean if Maybin didn't work out they'd just have moved Ross back over to CF and gone with Hermida-Ross-Gload or something. Who expected both Ross and Uggla to be hitting like this? Ross is hitting pretty much like Cody Ross hits. He's on pace for nearly 100 RBI and 20-25 homers. He's been better than Hermida in pretty much every category except OBP and average. I think Cody can do a lot better, but except for a few early homers Hermida hasn't done much of anything. He sure can take a walk, but in situations where you need him to swing the bat to get a big hit, he is practically useless. He is a prime reason why I think walks can be over-rated (in cases when a player is looking for a walk all the time and doesn't ever swing the bat). I'm just tired of seeing "Uggla and Ross' over and over without any mention of Hermida apparent lack of value either. Hermida is the absolute last person on this team I want to see come up to bat late in the game with runners on. I don't think Hermida's been very good either. I'll take the '09 version of Hermida over the '08 version though. As others have said more eloquently than I, perhaps Hermida would be better used higher in the lineup, such that he is getting on base for the big hitters and not in a spot that dictates him having to get the big hit.
May 20, 200917 yr No No this team does suck! It does have good parts to build on but this exact team together in all does suck. First that needs to happen is Fredi needs to get fired, who ever approved the trade of your ace, and a future hall of famer for 6 terrible players needs to be banned from baseball. On the field they need to send Bonifacio to AAA, Uggla to 3rd, Coghlan to 2b, trade for a power hitter we can throw in the OF to help Hermida, and Ross who I do have faith can snap out of it. Ross is a streaky hitter who always starts bad so I think he will be fine come September... I hope Hermida can live up to the hype. Either way it's time to put up or shut up the divison is weak, and the Fish could take this but we need a lefty power hitter in the OF, and we need another arm in the rotation that can pitch more then 3 or 4 innings while not giving up 5 runs in every 4 innings. I would seak a trade, and see if there are any suckers who would take some of our craptacular prospects we got for Cabrera/Willis off our hands, and return an actual player who's productive in the Majors...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.