July 2, 200917 yr Ballpark groundbreaking ceremony set for Saturday, July 18 Fans invited to celebrate historic day The Florida Marlins officially announced today details surrounding the Groundbreaking Ceremony that will take place on Saturday, July 18 starting at 10:00 A.M. at the site of the new Ballpark located at 1501 NW 3rd Street in Miami. The announcement was made by Marlins Vice President of Marketing, Sean Flynn. The event is free and open to the public with the first 1,000 fans receiving a coupon for a ballpark-style lunch and a commemorative Groundbreaking pin, courtesy of Gulf Plumbing. There will be music, games, live entertainment, Billy The Marlin, the Mermaids and Manatees, all leading up to the official ceremony that will commence at 11:00 A.M. The ceremony, hosted by Marlins broadcasters Dave Van Horne and Felo Ramirez, will include the unveiling of videos of the new Ballpark and renderings that will be shown to the public for the very first time. Following the groundbreaking, all fans will have the unique opportunity to participate first-hand by shoveling dirt at the exact spot of home plate at the new ballpark. Also participating in the celebration will be special representatives from the State of Florida, Miami-Dade County, the City of Miami, the Marlins and Major League Baseball. There will also be a ceremonial first pitch thrown by Charlie Hough and caught by Benito Santiago - the first ever "battery" in franchise history. "This will certainly be a very proud day for our community, one that many have been dreaming about for over a decade," said Marlins President, David Samson. "I encourage everyone to come out and celebrate the official start of construction and participate in an event that will represent an important part of this community's history." The Badia Spices Groundbreaking Ceremony, built by the Florida Carpenters Regional Council, is presented by South Florida Ford Dealers, Preferred Care Partners and Baker Concrete Construction. Parking will be available at the west corner of N.W. 7th Street and N.W. 16th Avenue. Leading up to Opening Day 2012, fans can follow the ballpark's progress from a webcam that overlooks the site of the new ballpark. These pictures can be viewed exclusively at www.marlins.com. Click on "Camera Control" to the left of the main image and zoom in and out. You can also click on the archive tab to look back in time. The camera's orientation is from North to South and images are updated every 15 minutes. The new ballpark's footprint will have a south-east orientation, with unobstructed views of Miami's skyline made possible by six operable glass panels. The ballpark will be located on the parcel of land bordered by NW 6th Street to the north, NW 4th Street to the south, NW 16th Avenue to the west and NW 14th Avenue to the east. With a capacity of approximately 37,000 spectators, the retractable roof, air-conditioned ballpark will be built on 928,000 square feet on the former Orange Bowl site. The ballpark will celebrate Opening Day in April 2012 and will attract a wide variety of events throughout the entire calendar year. Log on to www.marlins.com for more information on upcoming developments. Sounds awesome! Can't wait!
July 2, 200917 yr Ballpark groundbreaking ceremony set for Saturday, July 18 Fans invited to celebrate historic day The Florida Marlins officially announced today details surrounding the Groundbreaking Ceremony that will take place on Saturday, July 18 starting at 10:00 A.M. at the site of the new Ballpark located at 1501 NW 3rd Street in Miami. The announcement was made by Marlins Vice President of Marketing, Sean Flynn. The event is free and open to the public with the first 1,000 fans receiving a coupon for a ballpark-style lunch and a commemorative Groundbreaking pin, courtesy of Gulf Plumbing. There will be music, games, live entertainment, Billy The Marlin, the Mermaids and Manatees, all leading up to the official ceremony that will commence at 11:00 A.M. The ceremony, hosted by Marlins broadcasters Dave Van Horne and Felo Ramirez, will include the unveiling of videos of the new Ballpark and renderings that will be shown to the public for the very first time. Following the groundbreaking, all fans will have the unique opportunity to participate first-hand by shoveling dirt at the exact spot of home plate at the new ballpark. Also participating in the celebration will be special representatives from the State of Florida, Miami-Dade County, the City of Miami, the Marlins and Major League Baseball. There will also be a ceremonial first pitch thrown by Charlie Hough and caught by Benito Santiago - the first ever "battery" in franchise history. "This will certainly be a very proud day for our community, one that many have been dreaming about for over a decade," said Marlins President, David Samson. "I encourage everyone to come out and celebrate the official start of construction and participate in an event that will represent an important part of this community's history." The Badia Spices Groundbreaking Ceremony, built by the Florida Carpenters Regional Council, is presented by South Florida Ford Dealers, Preferred Care Partners and Baker Concrete Construction. Parking will be available at the west corner of N.W. 7th Street and N.W. 16th Avenue. Leading up to Opening Day 2012, fans can follow the ballpark's progress from a webcam that overlooks the site of the new ballpark. These pictures can be viewed exclusively at www.marlins.com. Click on "Camera Control" to the left of the main image and zoom in and out. You can also click on the archive tab to look back in time. The camera's orientation is from North to South and images are updated every 15 minutes. The new ballpark's footprint will have a south-east orientation, with unobstructed views of Miami's skyline made possible by six operable glass panels. The ballpark will be located on the parcel of land bordered by NW 6th Street to the north, NW 4th Street to the south, NW 16th Avenue to the west and NW 14th Avenue to the east. With a capacity of approximately 37,000 spectators, the retractable roof, air-conditioned ballpark will be built on 928,000 square feet on the former Orange Bowl site. The ballpark will celebrate Opening Day in April 2012 and will attract a wide variety of events throughout the entire calendar year. Log on to www.marlins.com for more information on upcoming developments. Sounds awesome! Can't wait! the so awesome thanks for the post . I cant wait to see those videos.
July 3, 200917 yr The Charlie Hough-Benito Santiago ceremonial first pitch is a really nice touch I agree!
July 3, 200917 yr Everything they're doing for the groundbreaking really sounds awesome. Wish I could be there for it.
July 3, 200917 yr I will most definitely be one of the first 1,000 there. Line starts right behind me. Agree about the Uncle Charlie-Bennie thing. Haven't seen UC in this type atmosphere in quite some time. But Bennie was a scooper at last year's Ice Cream Festival. I remember those days of '93 fondly. Bennie throwing guys out from his knees and UC grabbing a smoke in the dugout between innings. Fun times and some interesting stories.
July 11, 200917 yr I kinda wish they would stop advertising this. LOL Gonna have to ask my sales rep what kind of crowd they are expecting so I can judge what time we have to leave the house to get there for the good stuff. Definetly bringing both cameras.
July 11, 200917 yr This ground breaking will be useless without pictures. I cannot wait to see everyones pictures.
July 11, 200917 yr I kinda wish they would stop advertising this. LOL Gonna have to ask my sales rep what kind of crowd they are expecting so I can judge what time we have to leave the house to get there for the good stuff. Definetly bringing both cameras. I know what you mean, I'm planing on leaving my house at 8 AM just to be sure. I wish it was more like the Hanley thing, that really no one not paying attention online knew about. Me and 200 of my closest friends.
July 12, 200917 yr I kinda wish they would stop advertising this. LOL Gonna have to ask my sales rep what kind of crowd they are expecting so I can judge what time we have to leave the house to get there for the good stuff. Definetly bringing both cameras. I know what you mean, I'm planing on leaving my house at 8 AM just to be sure. I wish it was more like the Hanley thing, that really no one not paying attention online knew about. Me and 200 of my closest friends. Not gonna happen, it'll be packed... 10a might be a bit early for some people so thats a good thing
July 12, 200917 yr I kinda wish they would stop advertising this. LOL Gonna have to ask my sales rep what kind of crowd they are expecting so I can judge what time we have to leave the house to get there for the good stuff. Definetly bringing both cameras. I know what you mean, I'm planing on leaving my house at 8 AM just to be sure. I wish it was more like the Hanley thing, that really no one not paying attention online knew about. Me and 200 of my closest friends. Not gonna happen, it'll be packed... 10a might be a bit early for some people so thats a good thing I've already recieved a couple emails from the Fan Club. And ya gotta think alot of the season ticket holders will be there. I don't think 10AM is too early for people that have been waiting for this to happen since the team's inception. I sure hope I am wrong. Probably have to leave here about 7:30. Rab and crew will beat us there. Gonna be a loooooong day. And alot of driving.
July 12, 200917 yr I kinda wish they would stop advertising this. LOL Gonna have to ask my sales rep what kind of crowd they are expecting so I can judge what time we have to leave the house to get there for the good stuff. Definetly bringing both cameras. I know what you mean, I'm planing on leaving my house at 8 AM just to be sure. I wish it was more like the Hanley thing, that really no one not paying attention online knew about. Me and 200 of my closest friends. Not gonna happen, it'll be packed... 10a might be a bit early for some people so thats a good thing I've already recieved a couple emails from the Fan Club. And ya gotta think alot of the season ticket holders will be there. I don't think 10AM is too early for people that have been waiting for this to happen since the team's inception. I sure hope I am wrong. Probably have to leave here about 7:30. Rab and crew will beat us there. Gonna be a loooooong day. And alot of driving. Yea I was saying just for the average fan to check it out, 10a isnt really worth waking up. But for season ticket holder like myself and diehearts on this site, def will be worth while heading over there. Ill be there for sure... Dont forget about the night cap as well, when we kick PHILLYS ASS!
July 13, 200917 yr I kinda wish they would stop advertising this. LOL Gonna have to ask my sales rep what kind of crowd they are expecting so I can judge what time we have to leave the house to get there for the good stuff. Definetly bringing both cameras. I know what you mean, I'm planing on leaving my house at 8 AM just to be sure. I wish it was more like the Hanley thing, that really no one not paying attention online knew about. Me and 200 of my closest friends. Not gonna happen, it'll be packed... 10a might be a bit early for some people so thats a good thing I've already recieved a couple emails from the Fan Club. And ya gotta think alot of the season ticket holders will be there. I don't think 10AM is too early for people that have been waiting for this to happen since the team's inception. I sure hope I am wrong. Probably have to leave here about 7:30. Rab and crew will beat us there. Gonna be a loooooong day. And alot of driving. Yea I was saying just for the average fan to check it out, 10a isnt really worth waking up. But for season ticket holder like myself and diehearts on this site, def will be worth while heading over there. Ill be there for sure... Dont forget about the night cap as well, when we kick PHILLYS ASS! Trust me, I haven't. It's why I said alot of driving. Groundbreaking, back up here so the wife can go to work, back down there for the game.
July 13, 200917 yr sounds like a well thought out event - i too love the hough/santiago touch i think charlie should lob out a knuckler for old times sake
July 17, 200917 yr Any players going to be there? I'd expect them to be...but was hoping for a mention of it in the article.
July 18, 200917 yr Will the event be streamed online somewhere? I want to know this too. They would be stupid not to, but I haven't been able to find any information on it anywhere. If anything, they will probably record it and put it on the site later on.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.