Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is it time to panic? (pitching rotation)

Featured Replies

vanderhuk nothing special and should not see another MLB game

 

sanchez not reliable (mr glass)

 

volstad struggling to get 5 innings signs of tiredness

 

west not proven

 

miller not ready yet

 

and nolasco gives us a scare from time to time,but i would cut him some slack because he is being dominant since the all-star game

 

johnson is the only reliable ace and when he pitches,we barely hit

vanderhuk nothing special and should not see another MLB game

 

 

 

I stopped reading after that.

 

 

I dont like Vanderhuk either, but what else do we have?

Dumb.

 

Our 3-5 aren't studs? Ring the alarm!

 

Volstad will be good more often than not, RVH is going to give up HR, but he should be able to be servicable. He's not going to give up three every outing. West is the guy I have the least confidence, but if anibal is really hitting 95 and pitching as well as he has in his rehabs, he could be ok.

I agree. If Anibal comes back and is a shade of his former self we are fine. I'll take Ricky laying an egg every 4 starts. I'll take that. I think we need to hope Johnson is money and Ricky and Anibal can help take the series.

If we make the playoffs, this will not be an issue.

 

Our bullpen is one of the best in the league, and I'm confident they can pitch 5 innings a night if needed (collectively, I mean). You have to remember in the playoffs there is a day off every third day to rest, so if I were Fredi and I saw any signs of trouble in the 4th / 5th innings when we have a West / RVK type on the mound, I'd go straight to the pen and be confident they'd be able to bail us out.

 

The problem is in my first sentence - we need to GET to the playoffs first. If we do, I'm confident our pitching will hold up.

I don't thing panicking is going to do us any good. We've got the best guys that we can get out there right now, and hopefully when Anibal comes back he can help as well. It's a team game and if we're gonna make the playoffs, we're gonna have to have the offense step up even when our pitching doesn't and vice versa.

There's no reason to panic, because there's nothing you can do about it at this point.

 

 

This.

 

We had a chance to try to get another starting pitcher at the trade deadline but we didn't so we are depending on RVH who's bean shaky, Sean West who has shown signs of being a solid MLB pitcher and Anibal who has pitched well in the minors but we don't know if he can A. Stay Healthy or B. pitch well against Major League Hitters again.

 

If all else fails we would probably go to Hensley, after him I'm guessing the older minor league guys like Colazo and Ungs but there's really not enough games in the season to resort to them in the rotation.

The only think I'm scared of is Nolasco vs The Astro's again.

 

Scouting Report

Marlins: After his worst outing ever on Aug. 12 at Land Shark Stadium, Nolasco gets a chance for redemption in the series opener at Houston. Nolasco surrendered a career-high 10 runs, topping the nine he yielded to the Mets at Shea Stadium on July 8, 2006. The 3 1/3 innings marked his shortest stint of the year. Previously, he lasted 3 2/3 at Milwaukee on May 13. Nolasco is now 2-1 in his career against the Astros. The right-hander had gone three straight starts of seven innings, and he didn't throw fewer than six innings since June 24.

What's this panic stuff?

 

Fans panic, teams never, because they know baseball isn't a game of inches, it's a game of eighths an of an inch.

 

An eighth of an inch (at the bat or glove end) and a routine fly ball becomes a homer.

An eighth of an inch in pitch placement and an out becomes a run-scoring hit.

An eighth of an inch and a double play ball becomes a run-scoring hit off an infielder's glove.

An eighth of an inch and a routine ball or strike becomes a run-scoring passed ball.

An eighth of an inch and a play at the plate for an out becomes a run and a two-base error.

Etc., etc., etc.

 

There's a reason that $100 million or $200 million worth of talent often wins little more than $50 million worth, sometimes wins less and it's randomness. Often called "luck."

 

Relax. There's nothing you can do about it. $500 million wouldn't eliminate it, and whether or not we have another first-line starter doesn't necessarily change anything. It might or might not help because there's still 8 other guys on the field along with many yards worth of those eighths of an inch.

just caught this at mlbtr:

 

perhaps minor league deal?

 

Nats DFA Logan Kensing

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 17 at 11:55am CST]

 

For the second time this year, the Nats have designated reliever Logan Kensing for assignment, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson. Kensing, who throws as hard as 96 mph, has a 10.71 ERA for the season, leading manager Jim Riggleman to wonder if he's tipping his pitches. The Nats DFA'd Kensing for the first time back in May.

  • Author

vanderhuk nothing special and should not see another MLB game

 

 

 

I stopped reading after that.

 

good you stopped reading there boy because it was about to get uglier :D

vanderhuk nothing special and should not see another MLB game

 

 

 

I stopped reading after that.

 

good you stopped reading there boy because it was about to get uglier

 

 

I stopped reading because after someone makes a comment like that, you know that they have no idea what they're talking about.

just caught this at mlbtr:

 

perhaps minor league deal?

 

Nats DFA Logan Kensing

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 17 at 11:55am CST]

 

For the second time this year, the Nats have designated reliever Logan Kensing for assignment, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson. Kensing, who throws as hard as 96 mph, has a 10.71 ERA for the season, leading manager Jim Riggleman to wonder if he's tipping his pitches. The Nats DFA'd Kensing for the first time back in May.

 

 

 

Unless if it's for the misadventures of Logan & JJ...I don't see the point.

If it is that he's tipping his pitches (and with it a case of "I'm-afraid-to-throw-anything-because-they're-going-to-hit-it-itis" I would think might be easier to fix over the winter (the minor leagues are just about over) than a number of other causes that come to mind. I wouldn't mind seeing what someone can do with him without it affecting game play at any level. There would be virtually nothing to lose.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.