Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9/03 Post Game

Featured Replies

You know what, when this series began you didn't think you would be very happy with a series tie. But it is always best to win those last two games and build momentum.

 

And I agree floridafly, BC should be seeing a good amount of playing time next year, the problem is if you look at his splits, BC is fit more to platoon than to start full time.

 

 

 

And I don't know what it is, but when Nick Johnson is in the lineup, this team is completely different.

 

 

Oh yeah, Maybin=Mr. September.

 

Hey I called Maybin Mr. September in the GT. Stealing my idea. Haha. Hopefully he continues to do well and sparks this team.

You know what, when this series began you didn't think you would be very happy with a series tie. But it is always best to win those last two games and build momentum.

 

And I agree floridafly, BC should be seeing a good amount of playing time next year, the problem is if you look at his splits, BC is fit more to platoon than to start full time.

 

 

 

And I don't know what it is, but when Nick Johnson is in the lineup, this team is completely different.

 

 

Oh yeah, Maybin=Mr. September.

 

 

 

Doesn't exist.

 

You really don't believe in momentum?

You know what, when this series began you didn't think you would be very happy with a series tie. But it is always best to win those last two games and build momentum.

 

And I agree floridafly, BC should be seeing a good amount of playing time next year, the problem is if you look at his splits, BC is fit more to platoon than to start full time.

 

 

 

And I don't know what it is, but when Nick Johnson is in the lineup, this team is completely different.

 

 

Oh yeah, Maybin=Mr. September.

 

 

 

Doesn't exist.

 

As I would've expected you to say, just as managing doesn't do anything for a team, and how veteren presence doesn't exist (although we have seen veteren presence at its finest on this team), and how team chemistry doesn't exist, and how so many other things you seem to mention for absolutely no reason other than to start arguments don't exist.

 

Some things are real Erick that AREN'T put on a stat sheet. But no, momentum doesn't exist at all. I mean we all know the 2006 Cardinals were the best team in baseball, and the 07 Rockies were a world series team. Momentum had nothing to do with that, because it doesn't exist.

 

 

Momentum is as good as your next day's starting pitcher.

 

As for the rest, there have been plenty of teams with bad chemistry that have won championships. Ever seen "Bronx is Burning?" There are more than likely a handful of assholes on every team. A team with 25 guys, not everyone is going to get along. So what exactly is the definition of chemistry in baseball, again? Heck, since the fight (is that "bad chemistry?"), the Marlins have won two games. It's all crap. And Jim Leyland is the man for stating that it's crap.

 

And I never said that a manager doesn't do anything for a team. I, simply, stated that a manager's job is overrated. I guarantee you that if I was managing and put you as my bench coach, we'd have similar results to Fredi Gonzalez and Carlos Tosca right now. The most difficult part of managing might be more off the field than it is on it. We know baseball. We know the #'s. Trust me, it's not as difficult as people make it out to be, and managers definitely don't deserve millions of dollars to do what they do. Most managers would tell you that their job is simply based on their players' production/executing, anyways.

You know what, when this series began you didn't think you would be very happy with a series tie. But it is always best to win those last two games and build momentum.

 

And I agree floridafly, BC should be seeing a good amount of playing time next year, the problem is if you look at his splits, BC is fit more to platoon than to start full time.

 

 

 

And I don't know what it is, but when Nick Johnson is in the lineup, this team is completely different.

 

 

Oh yeah, Maybin=Mr. September.

 

 

 

Doesn't exist.

 

You really don't believe in momentum?

 

No. There's no such thing as momentum one day to the next in baseball. Leo Nunez could blow a save tomorrow & that would suck to many fans b/c it's a loss/no momentum for the team. But in terms of momentum, it's irrelevant. B/c if the Marlins lose tomorrow, they have JJ going the next day...the guy who's been pretty much money to give quality starts this year. Assuming he does what he does, "momentum" changes, quickly. Thus, the conclusion is...momentum is as good as your next day's starting pitcher. Fans think that players take it to heart like them...most of the time, they don't. They can't. After a tough loss, while we're depressed, they're more likely to be out drinking a beer/trying to forget about it, than being depressed, themselves. Trust me, it's true.

I disagree. You believe managing is just using the players who have the best stats in certain situations. As I have stated multiple times, I feel managing is a hell of a lot more than deciphering the numbers. Neither you or I have ever been a part of a major league clubhouse, so it really is ludicrous to go out and say a spectator could do as good as a person who has spent their entire life analyzing the game.

 

And for every example there is a counter. I could make an argument that the Yankees teams the last few years have fell apart late not because of lack or talent or because of poor managing, it was because of a lack of team chemistry and all the pieces not fitting together.

 

 

 

Still, I don't understand how somebody couldn't believe in momentum. I have played baseball, as a hitter you build confidence. If you get one hit, you have a more confident way about yourself in your next AB. When I was fielding I made throws from SS a hell of a lot easier after getting a few in a row, as my confidence grew and the momentum of good play after another. Pitchers build off of momentum, if all your players can build off that confidence, momentum is achieved. I have seen momentum on way too many occasions while playing and watching the game to simply discard it.

 

Totally random, but Erick, you don't believe the consecutive games of 10+ hits had ANYTHING to do with momentum?

I like that we were crappy and then everyone on the team started hating Hanley and everyone was generally on edge yesterday and then we won two games in a row. I liked that part, because of chemistry.

 

Winning teams have good chemistry, even if they are filled with jerks (97 marlins).

I disagree. You believe managing is just using the players who have the best stats in certain situations. As I have stated multiple times, I feel managing is a hell of a lot more than deciphering the numbers. Neither you or I have ever been a part of a major league clubhouse, so it really is ludicrous to go out and say a spectator could do as good as a person who has spent their entire life analyzing the game.

 

And for every example there is a counter. I could make an argument that the Yankees teams the last few years have fell apart late not because of lack or talent or because of poor managing, it was because of a lack of team chemistry and all the pieces not fitting together.

 

 

 

Still, I don't understand how somebody couldn't believe in momentum. I have played baseball, as a hitter you build confidence. If you get one hit, you have a more confident way about yourself in your next AB. When I was fielding I made throws from SS a hell of a lot easier after getting a few in a row, as my confidence grew and the momentum of good play after another. Pitchers build off of momentum, if all your players can build off that confidence, momentum is achieved. I have seen momentum on way too many occasions while playing and watching the game to simply discard it.

 

Totally random, but Erick, you don't believe the consecutive games of 10+ hits had ANYTHING to do with momentum?

 

 

The Yankees didn't win last year not b/c of chemistry, but b/c of injuries/the fact they played in the best division in baseball. Any other division, and they get in last year (despite significant injuries).

 

As for the managing thing...seriously? You do know that some managers just do whatever the front office says, right? And some are just hired just for that purpose? Ever read "Moneyball"...Art Howe (the manager)...yeah, his job was to do whatever Billy Beane said. And if he went against what Beane said, he had to explain to Beane why he did so.

 

The 10+ hits thing...just good hitters getting hot at the same time. Unless if you think guys like Chris Coghlan have had good momentum for a month now.

I wonder Erick, have you ever played baseball? Little League? High School? Just a legitimate question.

 

eh, I guess by your standards a chimp with a uniform could manage.

I wonder Erick, have you ever played baseball? Little League? High School? Just a legitimate question.

 

eh, I guess by your standards a chimp with a uniform could manage.

 

 

 

No, but my brother played at a higher level than most here, and he'll also tell you that "momentum" doesn't exist in baseball. Your examples of the 10+ hits are just players getting hot, at the same time. That happens. Over the course of a 162 game season, players get hot and players go through slumps. If "momentum" was so real, Cody Ross doesn't hit a GW double today after a horrible 3 games and getting benched. sh*t happens. It's a season of 162 games.

 

EDIT: I'd love to hear what other players have to say about this. Perhaps uberschnell can ask Matt Lindstrom about "momentum"...or maybe trahernsfriend can ask Trahern. I'm sure most have the same approach Dan Uggla had the other day when a reporter asked him about "having a sense of urgency."

I went to tonite's game. Of course it was a nice win by the team. I had 2 interesting things happen and I can't decide which one is better.

.

.

1. I was in sec150. In the 2nd inning there was a foul ball that was hit over my head.....rebounded off the facade to the club section and wound up heading towards the disabled area, where it was caught...by a helper DOG. I've never seen a foul ball caught by a dog.

.

2. My mother-in-law was hungry and wanted a hot dog as soon as we got to the game. After we settled in our seats I headed back to get her one and was told at all the stands(2) nearby that the dogs weren't ready yet, and to come back in 10 minutes when they were cooked. I found this kind of surprising. It was 2 minutes before game time, and they've certainly served me underdone dogs before. I reported back to the family that we needed to wait an inning....but MIL insisted...so I went back, and they begrudgingly sold me the dog, telling me it wasn't cooked. It was cold. Delivered cold dog to MIL, and told her not to eat, but she ate anyway. We had to leave the game early as MIL felt woozy in the 6th.

.

.

I can't decide what's better.

I'm leaning towards the foul ball catch by the dog.

I think there's momentum during games but I do agree that it's hard to have momentum when your next day starting pitcher is some AAAA scrub.

I think there's momentum during games but I do agree that it's hard to have momentum when your next day starting pitcher is some AAAA scrub.

 

 

 

And while I wouldn't call any of our starters "scrubs," 80% of the rotation has been a huge question mark this year. The other 20% being Josh Johnson...our only consistent starting pitcher.

See I'm glad you added Fredi to the poll. These are the games that go most unnoticed, when a manager manages a game extremely well and gets a W. Fredi has had a ton of games like this one where he has done an excellent job and I think we should recognize Fredi a little bit more, especially to all those Fredi haters out there (you know who you are)

See I'm glad you added Fredi to the poll. These are the games that go most unnoticed, when a manager manages a game extremely well and gets a W. Fredi has had a ton of games like this one where he has done an excellent job and I think we should recognize Fredi a little bit more, especially to all those Fredi haters out there (you know who you are)

 

 

 

Not about to give him a ton of credit for decisions that I would've made (aside from maybe sitting Cody Ross, the rest were obvious). He did his job. He gets good money to do his job.

He's also screwed up plenty of times this year. Like laughable screw up's, too. Walking Werth to face Bako...LAST NIGHT, using Tim Wood in a bases loaded situation (a game the team pretty much HAD TO WIN, and had won...the decision, however, made it more interesting than it should've been) when he had a much better option in the bullpen to go to (Calero). Speaking of Calero...using Calero in a bunch of meaningless situations, while bringing in high WHIP guys like Renyel Pinto, constantly, in high leverage situations. He might deserve credit for tonight, but why shouldn't he get bashed when making a dumb managerial move? The players get bashed when they suck...the manager deserves to get bashed, when he sucks...no?

I don't think a "team" can have momentum nor do other people really feed off others momentum

 

It's hard to argue against individual momentum though. Success breeds confidence. Confidence breeds performance. Failure breeds a lack of confidence. Lack of confidence breeds poor performance. You can argue that confidence doesn't breed good performance I suppose and it's in your head but it's damn hard to argue that lack of confidence doesn't breed poor performance.

Erick, did you at least change your mind on best friends?

 

 

 

Wrong thread.

Once again though, I'm starting to enjoy the fact that you care so much about my life to remember an opinion (if I might add, an irrelevant opinion) that I have on life. Goodie for you.

Erick, did you at least change your mind on best friends?

 

 

 

Wrong thread.

Once again though, I'm starting to enjoy the fact that you care so much about my life to remember an opinion (if I might add, an irrelevant opinion) that I have on life. Goodie for you.

 

You do realize I was joking around with you, right? Erick, you seriousely have to lighten up sometimes. You have to stop trying to argue with everyone.

Erick, did you at least change your mind on best friends?

 

 

 

Wrong thread.

Once again though, I'm starting to enjoy the fact that you care so much about my life to remember an opinion (if I might add, an irrelevant opinion) that I have on life. Goodie for you.

 

You do realize I was joking around with you, right? Erick, you seriousely have to lighten up sometimes. You have to stop trying to argue with everyone.

 

 

It's the internet. So no.

Like Waxheaven and h2r09? Or Imperial Lex, HanleySucks, and UGGLA4PREZ?

 

 

 

What about them?

 

 

Mystikol, mistakingly, confused the word "friend" with "troll."

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.