Jump to content

Orioles, Red Sox, Giants interested in Uggla


Lane1974
 Share

Recommended Posts

any thoughts on who we could get back?

 

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10353396/Wednesday%27s-buzz-from-the-GM-meetings

 

Interest in Uggla ... at third base — 10:51 a.m.

 

 

The two teams showing the most interest in Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla would move him to third base.

 

The Giants and Orioles are the clubs in strongest pursuit of Uggla, according to major-league sources.

 

The Red Sox also have inquired, envisioning Uggla as a potential replacement for free agent Jason Bay in left field.

 

Dan Uggla. (Al Bello / Getty Images)

 

Uggla, 29, projects to earn approximately $8 million in arbitration. But in four major-league seasons, he has averaged 30 homers and 90 RBIs.

 

For the Giants, he would represent a more affordable addition than Bay or Matt Holliday. The Giants would play Uggla at third, Edgar Renteria at shortstop, Freddy Sanchez at second and Pablo Sandoval at first.

 

If Uggla went to the Orioles, he could replace free agent Melvin Mora at third base and also fill in at first base and DH.

 

The Orioles, awaiting the arrival of third-base prospect Josh Bell, do not want to block the position long-term. They also are concerned about Uggla's defense at third; their pitching is too weak for the team to give away outs. But the team would benefit from Uggla's right-handed power.

 

If the Marlins trade Uggla, they almost certainly will keep third baseman Jorge Cantu, who also is arbitration-eligible.

 

Cantu, 27, has driven in 195 runs the past two seasons and provides protection for shortstop Hanley Ramirez in the cleanup spot. Emilio Bonifacio likely would replace Uggla at second, with top prospect Logan Morrison perhaps taking over at first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Giants and Orioles are showing the most interest in Dan Uggla, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Those clubs would move Uggla to third base, a position he hasn't played since 2005 in the minors. The writers add that the Red Sox have inquired, with an eye on using Uggla in left field. Uggla played 20 games in the outfield in Double A in '04. Rosenthal and Morosi add that an Uggla trade would compel the Marlins to retain Jorge Cantu.

http://www.mlbtrader...-dan-uggla.html

 

I would love to get Bumgarner and a low minor prospect from the Giants. That would be fair trade for both teams; I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Giants and Orioles are showing the most interest in Dan Uggla, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Those clubs would move Uggla to third base, a position he hasn't played since 2005 in the minors. The writers add that the Red Sox have inquired, with an eye on using Uggla in left field. Uggla played 20 games in the outfield in Double A in '04. Rosenthal and Morosi add that an Uggla trade would compel the Marlins to retain Jorge Cantu.

http://www.mlbtrader...-dan-uggla.html

 

I would love to get Bumgarner and a low minor prospect from the Giants. That would be fair trade for both teams; I think.

I dont think they would ever do that. if they would then we would be all over that. We better not be getting jonathan sanchez though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morrison and Bonifacio starting next season doesn't look good for our offense.

 

 

 

I see nothing terrible about Morrison.

 

not that i agree with him, but the fact that, if that were to happen, we would be counting on a rookie and mr speed at the corners would not be to good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morrison and Bonifacio starting next season doesn't look good for our offense.

 

 

 

I see nothing terrible about Morrison.

 

not that i agree with him, but the fact that, if that were to happen, we would be counting on a rookie and mr speed at the corners would not be to good.

 

 

Although I don't like Bonifacio, he wouldn't be playing a corner (not that I approve him at 2B, either, really). As for Morrison, rookie or not, he's shown great plate recognition in the minors, and I think those players are safer bets than your regular top prospect. Not sure if people will get me, but just take a look at Chris Coghlan (very good K:BB rates in the minors...easier transition to the bigs), as opposed to Maybin (K'd too much in the minors...transition to the bigs has been tougher).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see why the Orioles would want Uggla.

 

The Orioles already have declined Melvin Mora's 2010 option, so that means they have a hole open at third base. Brian Roberts is signed through 2013, so if they get Uggla, they must be expecting him to play third base. That will take a lot faith in him being competent defensively there. I would be surprised if they make that leap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see why the Orioles would want Uggla.

 

The Orioles already have declined Melvin Mora's 2010 option, so that means they have a hole open at third base. Brian Roberts is signed through 2013, so if they get Uggla, they must be expecting him to play third base. That will take a lot faith in him being competent defensively there. I would be surprised if they make that leap.

 

 

 

They are. Same goes for the Giants. And the Red Sox interest is for Uggla to play LF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see why the Orioles would want Uggla.

 

The Orioles already have declined Melvin Mora's 2010 option, so that means they have a hole open at third base. Brian Roberts is signed through 2013, so if they get Uggla, they must be expecting him to play third base. That will take a lot faith in him being competent defensively there. I would be surprised if they make that leap.

 

 

 

They are. Same goes for the Giants. And the Red Sox interest is for Uggla to play LF.

I know. But is that a wise idea? I'm not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see why the Orioles would want Uggla.

 

The Orioles already have declined Melvin Mora's 2010 option, so that means they have a hole open at third base. Brian Roberts is signed through 2013, so if they get Uggla, they must be expecting him to play third base. That will take a lot faith in him being competent defensively there. I would be surprised if they make that leap.

 

 

 

They are. Same goes for the Giants. And the Red Sox interest is for Uggla to play LF.

I know. But is that a wise idea? I'm not so sure.

 

I think he would be a disaster playing LF for Boston. Not only is he moving away from the middle of the infield, which he has played for the past 4 years in the Majors, but he would be playing LF at Fenway and can you imagine him fielding balls off the Monster well? I know I can't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So where will we get our power from next season? This has disaster written all over it, not to mention that if you subtract Uggla then you're going to add Emilio Bonifacio, the most influential game-changer in the majors.

 

 

Although writers keeping throwing out Bonifacio's name, I think there's about a 2% chance he is a starter for this team next year. Coghlan will be at second base next season, and I'm 98% sure of that. Bonifacio will fill the shoes of Amezega, and he will unfortunately no longer be a Marlin. You then have right and center committed to Ross and Maybin, with left field open. It's going to be much easier for us to fill the hole in left legitimately, be it through a stopgap vet or Bryan Peterson/Scott Cousins/John Raynor (even Mike Stanton's name can be tossed around with a great first half in AA). You can also tinker with the idea of Logan Morrison in left and Gaby Sanchez at one of the corners, though it's unlikely.

 

You have a TON of reasonable options without ripping your hair out with Boni in the starting nine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morrison only starts if they feel he will at least be better than Gaby would be, since they wouldn't want to start Logan's arbitration clock before they have to. They would have to figure Logan could OPS at least .750 for them to even think of starting him over Gaby at this point; so, if they actually think he's ready to start, then I'm reasonably optimistic about his prospects. (no pun intended)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morrison only starts if they feel he will at least be better than Gaby would be, since they wouldn't want to start Logan's arbitration clock before they have to. They would have to figure Logan could OPS at least .750 for them to even think of starting him over Gaby at this point; so, if they actually think he's ready to start, then I'm reasonably optimistic about his prospects. (no pun intended)

 

 

Looking back on the 2009 season as a whole, I think it was made pretty clear that Gaby Sanchez probably isn't considered a real option for this franchise. He was only supposed to be a stopgap from Jacobs to Morrison to begin with, and after spending almost this entire year in triple-A his stopgap was probably cut short. I could easily see Logan OPSing .750 in the major leagues, likely eclipsing .800. I couldn't say the same for Gaby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So where will we get our power from next season? This has disaster written all over it, not to mention that if you subtract Uggla then you're going to add Emilio Bonifacio, the most influential game-changer in the majors.

 

 

Although writers keeping throwing out Bonifacio's name, I think there's about a 2% chance he is a starter for this team next year. Coghlan will be at second base next season, and I'm 98% sure of that. Bonifacio will fill the shoes of Amezega, and he will unfortunately no longer be a Marlin. You then have right and center committed to Ross and Maybin, with left field open. It's going to be much easier for us to fill the hole in left legitimately, be it through a stopgap vet or Bryan Peterson/Scott Cousins/John Raynor (even Mike Stanton's name can be tossed around with a great first half in AA). You can also tinker with the idea of Logan Morrison in left and Gaby Sanchez at one of the corners, though it's unlikely.

 

You have a TON of reasonable options without ripping your hair out with Boni in the starting nine.

 

 

But...but...Bonifacio's the next Luis Castillo.............................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...