Home Run Celebrations

gizmo

When a Marlins Get your Marlins Tickets now! player hits a home run in the new ballpark, his feat will be celebrated with an explosion of color, lasers, pelicans and at least one jumping marlin.

In keeping with making the Little Havana ballpark a work of art, Miami-Dade County's Art in Public Places Trust approved on Tuesday a proposal for a piece of artwork celebrating home runs designed by world-renowned multimedia pop artist Red Grooms.

Although still conceptual, the piece, expected to be 50 feet to 60 feet tall, is signature Grooms – bright pink, blue, aqua, orange, and lots of moving parts. It's like an arcade game rising from a pool of Grooms-designed water and dotted with clouds, pelicans and seagulls. Marlins will jump and laser lights will shine.

"You will know you are seeing a work of art in our stadium in Miami," said Michael Spring, director of Miami-Dade's department of cultural affairs.

The home run feature is budgeted at $2.5 million and included in the $515 million cost of the 37,000-seat retractable roof ballpark under construction at the former site of the Orange Bowl. It will be behind the outfield wall and part of it is to be visible when games aren't being played. But once a Marlin hits a home run, it will come alive.

"I think there has to be some additional surprise elements the audience hasn't seen before," Grooms said by phone from New York. "I'm hoping the marlins will make their appearance after the home run."

Grooms, who was born in Nashville, said he visited Daytona as a teenager and the images of the ocean, seagulls and pelicans stuck with him.

Uni-Systems, which is doing the engineering work on the outfield wall and roof, will work with Grooms.

Marlins President David Samson said team owner and art dealer Jeffrey Loria was insistent the home run feature be a piece of art.

"It's very important to Jeffrey that our ballpark be the museum of baseball," Samson said. "The home run feature is the perfect opportunity to differentiate Miami from the other ballparks. No one will be able to look at that and say 'is that art or is that baseball?' It's both, it's art in a baseball ballpark."

For more on the home run feature and other public art approved for the ballpark, visit Sarah Talalay's blog at sunsentinel.com/sportsbiz.

Sarah Talalay can be reached at [email protected] or 954-356-4173.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/fl-marlins-1216-20091215,0,2974369.story

I WANT THAT JUMPING MARLIN!

Sarah Talalay's blog has a video of what this will look like. Looks pretty cool.

http://blogs.trb.com...ntinel+Blogs%29

Man, people are really generous with the term "art" these days. After seeing that piece of "art", my 2012 Uniform/Logo Fear-O-Meter has just moved up a few notches from "Uneasy" to "Absolutely Mortified".

Ugh, why couldn't we have a normal sports team owner, you know, a crooked businessman or something who lets actual professionals, and/or the fans, make decisions on the look of the team and it's stadium?

i kind of like that piece of art that Red Grooms painted. As for the monstrocity in CF, isn't the Mets one ugly too. Its cool, keep it and tweek it. Not that bad at all.

Exactly, the Mets new giant apple is pretty ugly. I kind of like what they came up with. Art is very subjective and not everyone is going to like this, but it is pretty cool looking. Hey, at least it is unique. All of these new "retro" stadiums blend together.

I'm pretty sure that it will change by 2012. This is just a concept.

I hope so. I'd like to see a more realistic marlin, maybe with light up eyes or something, rise out of REAL water, with some fountains around it. Still a bit over the top, but it be more traditional and certainly not as gaudy as this concept video.

I'm pretty sure that it will change by 2012. This is just a concept.

I hope so. I'd like to see a more realistic marlin, maybe with light up eyes or something, rise out of REAL water, with some fountains around it. Still a bit over the top, but it be more traditional and certainly not as gaudy as this concept video.

They style won't change if Red Grooms stays. His style is modern, hectic, disproportionate and colorful art. I think it will stick to that, mostly. The changes will not change the style of the work.

As much as I dislike the home run celebration contraption(as it is now), that's how much I absolutely LOVE the OB tribute outlined in that blog: a concrete version of the "MIAMI ORANGE BOWL" sign, as if it fell off of the old stadium and onto the west plaza, creating a sculpture/seats for fans to enjoy. Very cool idea. That concept is more in tune with the overall look of the ballpark. The Grooms artwork really doesn't fit at all, at least not on that grand of a scale.