How will FO react if we are in last come end of May ?

Sister Mary

Mike Stanton will be up by then if not before. I can't say which OFer he is going to supplant most of the time, but with mediocrity at 3 positions finding playing time for him, while even leaving ample time for a 4th guy to shuffle around, is going to be pretty easy.

Mike Stanton will be up by then if not before. I can't say which OFer he is going to supplant most of the time, but with mediocrity at 3 positions finding playing time for him, while even leaving ample time for a 4th guy to shuffle around, is going to be pretty easy.

Wow, that means its got to be Maybin who gets shipped out ? Will the FO do that ? He is part of their legacy with regards to the Miggy/Willis trade. Do they have the heart to do it ? I can't imagine them doing that to Coglhan or Ross, but you never know I guess.

Loria said he "expects" to be in the playoffs this year. If we are 7 or 8 games out of 1st and in 4th or 5th come Memorial Day how will the FO deal with this ? Any moves we can make from within the organization ?

WE ARE ONE f***ING GAME OUT OF FIRST PLACE. STOP BEING SUCH A TROLL.

How is he being a troll? He used the term "if" which means that he is having a hypothetical discussion. Isn't that what we do on these forums? I mean... seriously, people don't become trolls because they say something, even hypothetically, that you just don't wanna hear.

The team needs starting pitching. We're on the verge of losing our third straight series (3-6) in that time and those three wins came on the back of Ricky Nolasco going 8 innings in Colorado with 1 run, JJ going complete game 3 hitter with 1 run and I believe the last game of the Astros series had a great Sanchez start, but I'm not going to dig out the numbers.

The biggest impact that we can have on this team right now is better starting pitching. Don't ask me what the solution is though, but this team can definitely hit... they just can't pitch very well.

How is he being a troll? He used the term "if" which means that he is having a hypothetical discussion. Isn't that what we do on these forums? I mean... seriously, people don't become trolls because they say something, even hypothetically, that you just don't wanna hear.

The team needs starting pitching. We're on the verge of losing our third straight series (3-6) in that time and those three wins came on the back of Ricky Nolasco going 8 innings in Colorado with 1 run, JJ going complete game 3 hitter with 1 run and I believe the last game of the Astros series had a great Sanchez start, but I'm not going to dig out the numbers.

The biggest impact that we can have on this team right now is better starting pitching. Don't ask me what the solution is though, but this team can definitely hit... they just can't pitch very well.

Thanks, much appreciated. And yes the pitching is the problem. The bullpen has to be addressed soon, or we will be in a deep hole in what looks to be a winnable division. I'm not so sure the pitching problems were Wiley, but maybe the pitchers themselves, they just aren't that good.

Loria said he "expects" to be in the playoffs this year. If we are 7 or 8 games out of 1st and in 4th or 5th come Memorial Day how will the FO deal with this ? Any moves we can make from within the organization ?

WE ARE ONE f***ING GAME OUT OF FIRST PLACE. STOP BEING SUCH A TROLL.

Oh my goodness, no more coffee for you today, young man. :nono

Wow, that means its got to be Maybin who gets shipped out ? Will the FO do that ? He is part of their legacy with regards to the Miggy/Willis trade. Do they have the heart to do it ? I can't imagine them doing that to Coglhan or Ross, but you never know I guess.

I didn't say anything about shipping out anyone. But if you mention that I think "legacy" is a bad reason to keep anyone around. The Marlins traded for two greatly over-rated prospects at the time and that was pretty obvious pretty early on after the deal. Anytime you ship out a Miguel Cabrera in a deal, it has to be a darn good return or you're going to look pretty stupid when the guy you traded is a perennial all-star and the guys you got aren't even starting caliber.

Fredi will be gone if the FO feels like a change needs to be made. He is already on thin ice with Loria and we know Loria would not hesitate to clean house in the middle of a season (2003).

Not really sure what player changes they would implement. As pointed out, save for last night, offense hasn't really been a big albatross. Pitching is coming around a bit, but the Marlins can't afford for the rotation past JJ (if he has finally found his groove) and Nolasco to just pitch to their spot in the rotation. That is, we can't have the number 3 guy pitch as if he is just barely a number 3 guy, the 4 guys can't pitch as if he is barely a 4 guy, etc. We need them to play a little above their heads, so when they have their struggles, it is obvious that they are having an off night and are not that sorta pitcher. Right now, Robinson, Volstad and Sanchez have shown some flashes of being above average pitchers, but they also have struggled.

So basically, we need to see consistency from our SP. Even JJ. We are almost a month into the season and especially by May, it should be clear what or who the Marlins are playing with.

the way we playing last few week we lost three series we not playing well at all remember that we expect be playoff team no if or but so mean fredy on hot seat for next few weeks if team dont rebound from playing bad when ricky or jj not pitching

No freaking way. We aren't that bad. This was the obvious problem going into this season. Starting pitching. If it was so great and we didn't need help, why would we bring in an average Robertson?

Fredi will be gone if the FO feels like a change needs to be made. He is already on thin ice with Loria and we know Loria would not hesitate to clean house in the middle of a season (2003).

Not really sure what player changes they would implement. As pointed out, save for last night, offense hasn't really been a big albatross. Pitching is coming around a bit, but the Marlins can't afford for the rotation past JJ (if he has finally found his groove) and Nolasco to just pitch to their spot in the rotation. That is, we can't have the number 3 guy pitch as if he is just barely a number 3 guy, the 4 guys can't pitch as if he is barely a 4 guy, etc. We need them to play a little above their heads, so when they have their struggles, it is obvious that they are having an off night and are not that sorta pitcher. Right now, Robinson, Volstad and Sanchez have shown some flashes of being above average pitchers, but they also have struggled.

So basically, we need to see consistency from our SP. Even JJ. We are almost a month into the season and especially by May, it should be clear what or who the Marlins are playing with.

Robinson hasn't shown flashes of anything. He merely had a single game or two where his non-existent stuff wasn't rocked like it has been in most games this year and most games the last couple of years. The guy isn't any good but the Marlins can't ever afford veterans so when they get a team they will pay for one for them, they jump on it like nobodies business and then hold onto the guys even well after they've proven their ineffectiveness.

I agree with most of what you say. The SP needs to get good starts and more than 5-6 innings. We need 7 innings at least once every rotation, or the already bad bullpen will then also start to show fatigue later in the year, come June. Then things could really fall apart. I think we can see it starting to happen.

the way we playing last few week we lost three series we not playing well at all remember that we expect be playoff team no if or but so mean fredy on hot seat for next few weeks if team dont rebound from playing bad when ricky or jj not pitching

No freaking way. We aren't that bad. This was the obvious problem going into this season. Starting pitching. If it was so great and we didn't need help, why would we bring in an average Robertson?

i saying if team dont come live next few weeks and months we could see new manger

Is this thread really warrented? As far as I'm concerned we have been a pretty good team that is missing just a few tools.

I believe it is, this is 3 series losses in a row. That is a troubling sign for later in the year. We lose the next series to the Nationals and we could be in 5th the rest of the year.

Robinson hasn't shown flashes of anything. He merely had a single game or two where his non-existent stuff wasn't rocked like it has been in most games this year and most games the last couple of years. The guy isn't any good but the Marlins can't ever afford veterans so when they get a team they will pay for one for them, they jump on it like nobodies business and then hold onto the guys even well after they've proven their ineffectiveness.

True. But as a fifth starter, if he can someone how make it through more games than not with his non-existent stuff not being rocked like in a few of his starts, then that would be welcomed. It would be part of the "playing above their heads" aspect. But only if Robinson is the 5th starter. If the Marlins are inserting him as the 3rd guy, that is troublesome.

I hope Volstad and Sanchez come around and come around strongly though. Sanchez right now is a good 4th starter, but I am still a little iffy with him. Volstad seems to be getting into the mold of a 3rd starter again, but it seems like he is starting to give up homer runs again. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Having the last three guys be interchangeable in terms of expectations (if we want to include Nate, and we don't have to), I don't think that's a good thing. It means a run of bad starts by those guys turns the team into "JJ, Nolasco, and pray for a hurricane."

Its not the end of the world going 3-6 against a Houston team that was getting on form, Colorado who are solid and San Diego who have won something like 10 of 12. Of course I would expect and hope for better from us, but there are teams in worse situations than us out there. Take Atlanta for example, widely tipped for the playoffs, yet they have lost 7 in a row.

I believe it is, this is 3 series losses in a row. That is a troubling sign for later in the year. We lose the next series to the Nationals and we could be in 5th the rest of the year.

The NL East is definitely going to be tougher this year, but it really is too early to see how this all goes. Sure, the Nationals are playing much better this year so far, but will they keep it up? Are they going to move from becoming a 59-103 team to a 81-81 team? I don't think so, but they are definitely going to be better.

Then you have the Mets. They're on a hot streak right now since bringing Ike Davis (I believe is his name) up and doing their thing. They were 70-92 last year and you'd think they would be better as well.

The Braves are on a cold streak right now, but we know that they're a lot better then they've been playing.

How does this all play out? Well... if the 3-4-5 starters continue to struggle, the bullpen continues to struggle and we don't have near the same Coghlan as we did last year.... we could find ourselves really close in the standings with the Mets and Nationals. I'd like to believe we're better then that and, in my opinion, I've seen some good stuff from Volstad and Sanchez, but they just lack the consistency that they need to be more effective.

We'll just have to see how it goes.

The NL East is definitely going to be tougher this year, but it really is too early to see how this all goes. Sure, the Nationals are playing much better this year so far, but will they keep it up? Are they going to move from becoming a 59-103 team to a 81-81 team? I don't think so, but they are definitely going to be better.

Then you have the Mets. They're on a hot streak right now since bringing Ike Davis (I believe is his name) up and doing their thing. They were 70-92 last year and you'd think they would be better as well.

The Braves are on a cold streak right now, but we know that they're a lot better then they've been playing.

How does this all play out? Well... if the 3-4-5 starters continue to struggle, the bullpen continues to struggle and we don't have near the same Coghlan as we did last year.... we could find ourselves really close in the standings with the Mets and Nationals. I'd like to believe we're better then that and, in my opinion, I've seen some good stuff from Volstad and Sanchez, but they just lack the consistency that they need to be more effective.

We'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the sensible post Artistic :thumbup You make a lot of sense.

True. But as a fifth starter, if he can someone how make it through more games than not with his non-existent stuff not being rocked like in a few of his starts, then that would be welcomed. It would be part of the "playing above their heads" aspect. But only if Robinson is the 5th starter. If the Marlins are inserting him as the 3rd guy, that is troublesome.

I hope Volstad and Sanchez come around and come around strongly though. Sanchez right now is a good 4th starter, but I am still a little iffy with him. Volstad seems to be getting into the mold of a 3rd starter again, but it seems like he is starting to give up homer runs again. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Having the last three guys be interchangeable in terms of expectations (if we want to include Nate, and we don't have to), I don't think that's a good thing. It means a run of bad starts by those guys turns the team into "JJ, Nolasco, and pray for a hurricane."

There's nothing about Robertson to suggest that he won't get rocked every other start. That's the problem. He had an ERA over 6! two years ago, an ERA of 5.44 last year, one not too far under 5 three years ago, and one over 5 this year. The numbers show that he's no good, and my eyes tell me that he's no good every time I seem him pitch. You don't win in this league by putting players out there that are no good and just hoping the other team doesn't exploit them that particular day.

And enough of this "just a fifth starter" stuff. The guy has made the same number of starts as JJ and is starting every 5th day, just like the other 5 starters. Only around the ASB and in the playoffs does it make one lick of difference who the #1 and who the #5 are because teams just don't skip a 5th guy like they used to 15-20 years ago. There is nothing that makes the games that this guy starts as our 5th starter any different than the games that JJ starts. And also, in case you hadn't noticed, Robertson wasn't exactly our 5th starter either, he was 3rd and ridiculously seems to be getting pushed ahead in the rotation.

What I find ridiculous about this whole thing is that I was already pretty sure the Marlins were going to have guys who were going to be able to come out and be inconsistent every 5th day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.