Ceda says Aye to yet Another Pie

Schnellders

It appears Jose Ceda has gotten a little more porky in the offseason. I like the strict attitude Edwin seems to take as indicated in this piece from the Sun Sentinel:

Pitching group B3 in Marlins camp is short one member. Right-hander Jose Ceda has yet to work out with his teammates because he arrived out of shape. The club is steamed. The Marlins won't let Ceda near a mound until he loses another 10 pounds. Manager Edwin Rodriguez had considerably higher expectations from a guy who made his major league debut last season."We're disappointed," Rodriguez said. "I'm more disappointed I think than the front office and I let him know. We're counting on him. He's a pitcher we like, but with that attitude, and it's an attitude, not an injury. He has to have the attitude that he wants to be here."

Ceda didn't take exception to the Marlins' decision.

"I was a little overweight in Santo Domingo," said Ceda, a native of the Dominican Republic. "I got here and they saw me like that and they're protecting me from an injury or something. They have me working out inside until I get in better shape."

Asked if any circumstances precluded him from training more vigorously back home, Ceda added: "I had my first daughter, thank God, and maybe I spent a little too much time with her. Maybe because of that, but in this business rarely do you have excuses. You have to fight [for your job] and then try to enjoy the time you can with your family."

Listed at 6 feet 4, 268 pounds, Ceda's weight issues date back to his time in the Cubs organization. The Marlins acquired him before the 2009 season for Kevin Gregg. That spring he was listed at 280 and said he wanted to get down to 250.

In his first bullpen session he felt shoulder discomfort and missed the entire season rehabbing from shoulder tendinitis. Last year, Ceda opened at low-Class A Greensboro before heading to Double-A Jacksonville, where he went 4-1 with a 1.39 ERA, 20 walks and 45 strikeouts in 32 1/3 innings.

He garnered a September promotion and allowed five runs over his first four outings before finishing the season with five scoreless innings spanning four outings.

"How else can you give him more motivation?" Rodriguez said. "Look, you're in the organization you're supposed to be in. We called you up last year. You expect him to arrive in great shape. That's why I'm real upset."

From Rotoworld:

Jose Ceda threw a bullpen session Monday.

Ceda was a bit overweight when he arrived at camp and wasn't allowed to participate in workouts last week. He must have dropped the necessary pounds by Monday morning. The 24-year-old righty posted good numbers in the minor leagues last season and is trying to land a job in the big league bullpen this spring.

I can just see it, the cops pull over Ceda, he takes a bite of fried chicken and starts yelling at the officers "Don't you know who I am? Don't you know my troubles :blink:

Okay, now that was funny. But come on. He needs to lose 10 more pounds. Not like he came in extremely overweight.

No, he was extremely overweight, he just isn't allowed to pitch until he is merely overweight

I can just see it, the cops pull over Ceda, he takes a bite of fried chicken and starts yelling at the officers "Don't you know who I am? Don't you know my troubles :blink:

Okay, now that was funny. But come on. He needs to lose 10 more pounds. Not like he came in extremely overweight.

No, he was extremely overweight, he just isn't allowed to pitch until he is merely overweight

Well, according to Monday's PBP he weighed in at 288 when he came to camp. His listed weight is 275. I don't call that "extremely", but whatever. That may be heavy for someone entering a Mr Macho contest, but that's his playing weight. Kinda hard to argue with what's been working for him.

I figure all the publicity of this is Edwin's way of sending a message to the team. A quote from him...."Those days when you came to ST to get into shape? Those days are over a long time ago." That's a hard line stance that needed some back up to it.