Marlins discussing bringing back Luis Castillo

MrAndMrsFish

Per Joe Frisaro:

JUPITER, Fla. -- Luis Castillo is now on the market, and the Marlins may have interest.

A source said the organization is having some internal discussions about whether to bring the 35-year-old back to Florida.

On Friday the Mets released Castillo. a switch-hitting second baseman. New York is on the hook to pay the $6 million on his 2011 contract.

Castillo could make sense for Florida if the team isn't sure prospect Matt Dominguez is ready to win the third base job. The 21-year-old Dominguez, currently the frontrunner to be the Opening Day starter, is batting .219 in 32 Grapefruit League at-bats.

If the Marlins do look to sign Castillo, he could play second and Omar Infante could switch to third base.

Castillo was with the Marlins from 1996-2005. He was a three-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner in Florida.

Marlins discussing Castillo

Problem is, would this really truly make our team better? Or is just a feel good move?

Yeah, it would. Putting a guy who's still a respectable defender and can put up a good .OBP is an upgrade over Wes Helms at 3B. Or Emilio Bonifacio every day, for that matter.

Bill James has Castillo projected for a .361 .OBP in 2011. For what it's worth...

Problem is, would this really truly make our team better? Or is just a feel good move?

2B: Castillo

3B: Infante

is probably better than

2B: Infante

3B Bonifacio/Helms/Murphy suck platoon

So, if Dominguez needs more time, it could probably make us better.

If Castillo's BABIP gets back up to around .300 this year, he'll probably be good for a .280/.350/.340 line, which isn't very good, but is probably better than anything else we could get from our 3B or 2B options that aren't Dominguez (and probably not any worse than Dominguez.)

I don't love Castillo, but I'd rather have him than the suck platoon.

Considering the Marlins are probably considering batting Bonifacio/Wise 1st to open up the year if Coghlan is hurt, I'd much rather have Luis Castillo leading off compared to those two guys. As a matter of fact, Luis Castillo is a better leadoff hitter than both of those guys combined.

Considering the Marlins are probably considering batting Bonifacio/Wise 1st to open up the year if Coghlan is hurt, I'd much rather have Luis Castillo leading off compared to those two guys. As a matter of fact, Luis Castillo is a better leadoff hitter than both of those guys combined.

That just gave me a visual of Wise and Boni batting AT THE SAME TIME, Boni from the right and Wise from the left... and both of them still sucking while Castillo stares on from the bench with a face of "that should be me up there"

The issue is do they think Infante is capable of playing CF if Coghlan isn't ready? They seem to be taking no non-Bonifacio/Wise contingencies if Coghlan is hurt.

Coghlan being hurt throws a wrench into the whole thing.

Its not even an injury. Isnt he just sore?

Yea exactly. Its just that since he's playing a new position with more demanding throws, they dont wanna risk anything and this thus seems like a bigger deal than it is. Its probably just putting him back about a week, two the most I have to believe.

So basically this is a good move if Dominguez isn't ready. If Matt is ready then the FO has a quality decision on there hands here.

I don't think people here will question that Matt's bat isn't ready. I personally wouldn't consider anyone ready when a huge part of their game still needs development.

Bringing back washed up thirty five year olds is not how teams become contenders.

Mike Lowell would be a better choice if the Marlins are into nostalgia.

I'd love if you could show me one person who thinks this move would make the Marlins contenders.

I can show you many here who want the Marlins to become contenders.

And Castillo is not a step in that direction.

Bringing back washed up thirty five year olds is not how teams become contenders.

Mike Lowell would be a better choice if the Marlins are into nostalgia.

I'd love if you could show me one person who thinks this move would make the Marlins contenders.

I can show you many here who want the Marlins to become contenders.

And Castillo is not a step in that direction.

That's not what the statement entailed.