Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fangraph releases their fielding stats

Featured Replies

The Marlins are doing really well defensively the first couple of weeks of the season.

 

The only below average defender right now is Hanley (-2.9 UZR).

 

Surprisingly, Logan Morrison (+2.5 UZR) has been really good, thus far; Coghlan (+2.4 UZR) has also been a pleasant surprise, although that's not too surprising, based on early observations.

 

Also, Infante is a +1.3; in comparison, Uggla is already a -1.2, thus far.

Hanley I think we all saw coming, but everyone else being positive is huge. Especially LoMo and Cogs.

Trade Hanley now while other teams still think he can play SS.

 

 

 

 

No way a new team would think of him as a SS. Best bet for him would be going to AL to be a DH.

Your both wrong. Hanley needs to talk to Helms and learn how to pinch hit. Its pretty obvious that's what he'll be doing soon for us or some team.

I don't know about you guys, but I say we just move Hanley to be our bench coach.

I know its still early days, but only 1 error has been made by a pitcher (Choate). Didnt we have a problem with that a couple of years ago?

Sampling size makes this somewhat irrelevant. I think it's unlikely that Morrison ends up being a plus defender.

 

Why? It's left field. He definitely has the tools for it, it's all about putting in the work out there (just like CC).

Yeah, I'm also happy Cogs is covering ground in CF.

 

But I am concerned about his arm. Just a cut better than good old JP.

 

I think he will be a minus arm, even when he gets 100% healthy.

His arm's good enough. It's not strong but I think people are forgetting just how weak JP was when they compare the two.

 

CC's arm will probably be a minus but it won't be bad enough to matter.

His arm is still recovering and he's not pushing it, as he shouldn't.

 

A month from now, when he's at full strength and throws out a few people who thought they could take an extra base on him, based on what will then be the received and accepted conventional baseball wisdom of his "below-average arm," everyone will be surprised.

 

Well, not everyone.

  • Author

Coghlan has an average arm when fully healthy, from what I remember. LoMo, on the other hand, throws like a girl; he would probably say so on his own Twitter page, if someone said that.

Coghlan has an average arm when fully healthy, from what I remember.

 

Where do you see this?

 

--

 

And overall to the thread, yea it's a small sample size and not much to be taken from it, but it is nice to see improvement even if it's only halfway through April. It would be such a ridiculous win if these numbers are like this in August. I think it would be amazing if we can churn out neutral defenders with Buck, Gaby, Lomo, and Coghlan, get above average production from Dominguez (thinking longterm), Stanton, and whoever ends up at 2B, and our lone 'poor' defender is Hanley, who should be in the 4-6 WAR range making it a "who cares" situation. Position players looking really good if Coghlan can hold down CF longterm. 2B would be the only position without a young and very projectionable guy. Really hope Infante picks it up as his 2011 option ($2.5 mil) could be really valuable. Free agent options Kelly Johnson, Aaron Hill (option), B. Phillips (option), or moving over Scutaro (option) or paying an arm and leg for Reyes, don't really excite me. I can see us drafting a college 2B in the first round if one is available, as his time table would be around the same as James, Hand, Rasmussen, Olmos, Yelich, dare I say Skipworth (8-31, .606 OPS, 1/10 BB/K so far in AA), and the rest of our younger minor leaguers. Would be really nice to fill that slot so we can concentrate nearly all our payroll at retaining Coghlan/Stanton/Lomo/Gaby, keeping Hanley and Johnson really long term, and signing free agent pitching which we're going to have too at some point.

Sampling size makes this somewhat irrelevant. I think it's unlikely that Morrison ends up being a plus defender.

 

Why? It's left field. He definitely has the tools for it, it's all about putting in the work out there (just like CC).

I think most qualified (or with a sizable number of innings played) NL LFers last year had negative UZR ratings, so I'm not sure why you would expect him to be a plus on that basis.

 

He had a poor (negative) rating last season and while he has probably improved a bit, I would be surprised based on the performance I've seen that it materializes into a plus UZR.

 

I think Morrison will end up somewhere in the -1 to -2.50 range.

  • Author

Coghlan has an average arm when fully healthy, from what I remember.

 

Where do you see this?

 

--

 

And overall to the thread, yea it's a small sample size and not much to be taken from it, but it is nice to see improvement even if it's only halfway through April. It would be such a ridiculous win if these numbers are like this in August. I think it would be amazing if we can churn out neutral defenders with Buck, Gaby, Lomo, and Coghlan, get above average production from Dominguez (thinking longterm), Stanton, and whoever ends up at 2B, and our lone 'poor' defender is Hanley, who should be in the 4-6 WAR range making it a "who cares" situation. Position players looking really good if Coghlan can hold down CF longterm. 2B would be the only position without a young and very projectionable guy. Really hope Infante picks it up as his 2011 option ($2.5 mil) could be really valuable. Free agent options Kelly Johnson, Aaron Hill (option), B. Phillips (option), or moving over Scutaro (option) or paying an arm and leg for Reyes, don't really excite me. I can see us drafting a college 2B in the first round if one is available, as his time table would be around the same as James, Hand, Rasmussen, Olmos, Yelich, dare I say Skipworth (8-31, .606 OPS, 1/10 BB/K so far in AA), and the rest of our younger minor leaguers. Would be really nice to fill that slot so we can concentrate nearly all our payroll at retaining Coghlan/Stanton/Lomo/Gaby, keeping Hanley and Johnson really long term, and signing free agent pitching which we're going to have too at some point.

 

 

I don't know, I just recall Coghlan making a couple of accurate throws when he played LF last year. His arm is nothing special, but I don't think it's horrible; I thought his bigger problem would be the range, and was way more worried about that.

 

As for the 2B thing, what do you think of signing one of those 2B to start, and then signing Infante as well, as a super utility guy off the bench? Get rid of Helms, finally. Bring back Infante off the bench + Bonifacio = a ridiculous amount of versatility off the bench.

  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update these - of course small sample alerts continue to apply:

 

Coghlan: +3.7..............I'm impressed; he's even improved since the inital release of fielding stats

Cousins: +3.2 (in 11 plays - WOW! Extremely small sample size, but the guy is a fantastic fielder.)

Infante: +2.9

Bonifacio: +2.4 (+1.3 at LF; +1.0 at RF; 0.2 at 3B; 0 at 2B/CF

Sanchez: +1.3

Morrison: +1.1

Buck: 0

Dobbs: -0.3

Hanley: -1.8

Stanton: -2.3 (this is the only disappointing one so far, but I expect him to end the year positive)

Helms: -2.4 (in 10 plays at 3B.........I'm not kidding)

 

+7.8 runs overall from these guys (+10.2 without Helms), and +8.8 overall (I guess that includes other reserves and pitchers).

They've add almost a win with the starter defense so far - THIRD best in the league - compared to last year where we were -23.4, roughly 2.5 wins.

 

BTW - Uggla is a -1.6, with a 0.1 WAR overall. As much as Infante has struggled, has a 0.2 WAR :lol

And Maybin's offense has come back to earth [.233/.317/.372 (.689)], and he's only +0.1 in CF so far, for a 0.7 WAR.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.