Vicente Padilla

HawkFan

Didn't see this reported anywhere, but according to "Sports Xchange" on Yahoo Sports, the Marlins are "close" to signing Vicente Padilla. Why would go this route, I thought our BP was set. I guess he could be our long-relief/spot starter guy, but I fail to see how he is any better than Baddenhop or Hensley. Probably more expensive, injury prone and overweight. If it's a minor league deal w/ an invite to ST I suppose it's a low-risk move.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqCmp1XN6Yj45t96ls5O.HIRvLYF?slug=sportsxchange-000526680_macdougal-signs-oneyear-contract-for-1-million

I don't think major league problems. I thought he got inside some legal trouble a few years back.

He had a DWI in 2006. Then another incident in 2010 related to DV but he wasnt arrested.

That doesn't classify him as a criminal, just someone who made a mistake and/or has a drinking problem.

Miggy problems.

it doesn't sound like he's coming to Miami. I wonder where the f*** the Yahoo guy came up with "close to signing"

Two days after signing Aaron Cook, the Red Sox are scouting another low-risk righty looking to rebound from injury. Vicente Padilla took leave of his native Nicaraguan winter league yesterday in order to fly to Boston, where he will be checked over today by team doctors, reports Francisco Jarquín Soto at the Nicaraguan paper El Nuevo Diario.

Padilla made only nine appearances for the Dodgers in 2011, all in relief, before neck problems ended his season in June. He also briefly took over the closer's job from Jonathan Broxton, though in recent years the 34-year-old has been a swingman and spot starter (he thrived in the role as recently as 2010). He has reportedly been hitting 95-96 mph with his fastball this winter in Nicaragua, and has said he wants to fight for a rotation spot. Seeing as the Red Sox have no shortage of hard-throwing righties in their revamped pen, Padilla could get his wish if his health permits.

I don't think major league problems. I thought he got inside some legal trouble a few years back.

He had a DWI in 2006. Then another incident in 2010 related to DV but he wasnt arrested.

That doesn't classify him as a criminal, just someone who made a mistake and/or has a drinking problem.

I swear he had something else though that was. They talked about it on a Dodgers-Marlins broadcast a few years back. The DWI isnt a big issue. The DV is alittle more sketch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.