Carlos Zambrano vs Chris Volstad So Far

MiamiNative0722

I wonder if Zambrano wishes he was in Chicago getting his wins blown by Marmol instead.

He's not the closer anymore.

David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that Cubs manager Dale Sveum has officially informed Carlos Marmol that he is no longer the team's closer.

Rafael Dolis and James Russell will now pitch the ninth inning in a matchup-based approach. Kerry Wood could also eventually be an option, but the Cubs will use him in the sixth and seventh inning initially after he was activated from the DL Thursday. It's probably just a temporary demotion for Marmol, and we're not convinced that Dolis or Russell will run away with the job. Both are worth scooping up in fantasy leagues, though.

I was just ok with this trade at the time it was made, and would have probably been against it had we had to eat another two million or so of the contract. I would have rather gone with Sanabia/Hand/Leblanc back then, if that was the case. Glad to see its working out in the Marlins favor so far.

Also, judging by WHIP alone, it looks like Volstad has been somewhat unlucky to have an ERA over 6. Doesn't look like he's been serving up too many bombs either.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, judging by WHIP alone, it looks like Volstad has been somewhat unlucky to have an ERA over 6. Doesn't look like he's been serving up too many bombs either.

Volstad has been similar to Ricky, in that he has consistently underperformed his peripherals.

The difference is Ricky's peripherals suggest he should be good, where Volstad's simply suggest he shouldn't be bad.

I was just ok with this trade at the time it was made, and would have probably been against it had we had to eat another two million or so of the contract. I would have rather gone with Sanabia/Hand/Leblanc back then, if that was the case. Glad to see its working out in the Marlins favor so far.

His (Volstad) LOB% is at 48% so his ERA should definitely lower at some point.

I can't remember anyone (here at least) being against the trade. Sure some people had their concerns about the attitude or whatever, but as risk/reward this was a no-brainer. Beinfest definitely gets kudos on this one, even before Zambrano started pitching lights out again.

I can't remember anyone (here at least) being against the trade. Sure some people had their concerns about the attitude or whatever, but as risk/reward this was a no-brainer. Beinfest definitely gets kudos on this one, even before Zambrano started pitching lights out again.

My concerns were only about what to expect out of Zambrano performance wise. But because we're eating so little of the contract, the worst case scenario would have probably been a push anyway. I certainly had no qualms about trading Volstad, but like I said earlier, without hindsight, I would have rather gone with Sanabia/Leblanc/Hand if the asking price was 2-3 million higher.

Looking like an excellent trade with very little risk, as you say.

Which would probably only lower his ERA to like 5. He's still terrible.

Also, unsustainable HR/FB rate is unsustainable.

Good riddance. What an awful pitcher. Glad he's gone.

Yeah, I didn't bother looking at HR/FB and was somewhat superficially judging by WHIP alone. He'd still been a little unlucky up to that point.

Just reviewing some of his numbers; he really doesn't do anything well. I'm not sure his peripherals even suggest he should be much better than he is. Unlike Nolasco, who is an extreme example.

While zambrano had that wild card element I was for the trade with the main reason that Z has shown the ability to eat up some innings and get later into games

It seemed like even on a good outing that Volstad wouldn't finish the 6th ... for that alone I liked the possibility of zambrano - especially since he has more upside to his actual performance, the cost was low and if he did impload and not work up then there were still the guys in the minors that could patch together the 5th spot throughout the season

Guest Guest

I can't think of anyone here who was against it. And that includes the usual suspects--people you might expect to be against it because they rail on people like Hanley for having "bad attitudes."

Coming into the season it was never a doubt this trade was a desperate move by the Cubs and a win for the Fish. The extra he has done is just a bonus. Carlos has always had frontline starter stuff. He downfall has always been his anger. No question under Ozzie he is a new man, and he is showing it on and off the field.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.