Adding another bat.

MiamiFan95

The way I see it, even when Boni comes back, this line up will not have enough pop to carry this team into the playoffs, and with the trade deadline approaching there'll be several teams who are out of contention that will be looking to ship out quality veteran hitters for young players with potential. Right now it really doesn't seem like the Marlins have a lot of trade bait to to work with so it may mean parting ways with one of our (few) high caliber prospects in the minors. The Marlins' biggest needs at this point in time seem to be depth in the outfield and catcher. Unfortunately, it seems like the Marlins will be stuck with Buck for at least the rest of the season. Also it would be nice to get rid of Gaby and commit LoMo to first base while adding an everyday outfielder that can produce runs while Yelich progresses, but like I said, I'm not sure how viable that is right now.

Anyway I'm personally not sold on making the farm system even more shallow to compete in the near future, but I wanted gauge this board's interest in the idea. I figured this would be a good topic to discuss rumors on possible transactions as well as to suggest moves that you think the Marlins should look into. Just remember, if you're going to do the latter, be realistic (no we're not getting Carlos Quentin for Gaby and Dominguez).

Maybe not completely playoffs or bust, but I'd say its definitely tight playoff race down the stretch or bust given the money the team spent and the need to capitalize on interest in the new stadium with a product on the field that will hold the excitement over into the future.

The FO needs to be smarter with the contracts they give out, it started with Buck and continued with Bell.

Now that they had money to spend they just threw it all over the place, without even taking a minute to think. It's not that I wasn't excited for the team but the Bell deal really confused me and settling on Buehrle (which obviously is panning out) and getting lucky with Zambrano was good but I think it should have been pressed more on Gio he was the #1 option even over CJ in my mind. The Bell signing was a "let's make the fans happy" signing, you should never pay for a closer but I guess they know that now.

Is there anyone that will consistently hit .280 - .300 plus with a high OBP for years to come, if not then no it's not worth it. It's not that the team can't be competitive but the bullpen is starting to get muddy as well, so there may be a bigger issue on our hands than just the bats.

I'm currently trying to find some relief pitching stats.

The FO needs to be smarter with the contracts they give out, it started with Buck and continued with Bell.

Now that they had money to spend they just threw it all over the place, without even taking a minute to think. It's not that I wasn't excited for the team but the Bell deal really confused me and settling on Buehrle (which obviously is panning out) and getting lucky with Zambrano was good but I think it should have been pressed more on Gio he was the #1 option even over CJ in my mind. The Bell signing was a "let's make the fans happy" signing, you should never pay for a closer but I guess they know that now.

Is there anyone that will consistently hit .280 - .300 plus with a high OBP for years to come, if not then no it's not worth it. It's not that the team can't be competitive but the bullpen is starting to get muddy as well, so there may be a bigger issue on our hands than just the bats.

I'm currently trying to find some relief pitching stats.

We had absolutely no chance at Gio with what we realistically could have given up. Washington had us beat all day long.

And there was no real settling on Buerhrle. He was always a target and a possibility. CJ went home instead of for money and Gio wasn't happening without our only big prospects.

Washington tried as well to beat us on Buerhle but he signed here.

We have a handfull of players that can hit .280 consistently When they aren't struggling. Reyes and Hanley for one but your not goig to have a whole lineup of them on a regular bases.

Bell signing was more than I would have spent but it's unfair to say its a bust 3 months into a 3 year deal. While some regression is expected, no one though he would have a collapse like he did early and i dont expect that to continue long term.

We aren't the heat. It isn't playoffs or bust for us.

Well, like someone else said, it's not playoffs or bust for the Heat, it's championship or bust, and while that isn't the case with the Marlins, you better believe with the money spent this offseason this team was made to at least compete for a playoff spot.

Well, like someone else said, it's not playoffs or bust for the Heat, it's championship or bust, and while that isn't the case with the Marlins, you better believe with the money spent this offseason this team was made to at least compete for a playoff spot.

This year was supposed to be a showcase for Loria. Hopefully its making him realize the area he should have upgraded 1st was the FO. Maybe he can steal someone from the Nationals or Tampa Bay organizations in the off-season while Beinfest & Hill clean out their desks.

This year was supposed to be a showcase for Loria. Hopefully its making him realize the area he should have upgraded 1st was the FO. Maybe he can steal someone from the Nationals or Tampa Bay organizations in the off-season while Beinfest & Hill clean out their desks.

And hire you.

Anyone think we would have enough pieces for Gerrardo Parra? Just curious, not expressing it as some sort of possibility or anything. I think he would be a great fit for the team though.

I really don't think the DBacks have him on the market.

Yeah I don't suspect they do or anything, but I was curious of what people think it might take to pry him away from Arizona. With Kubel playing so well this year they kind of have a crowded outfield they might pay attention to a deal that was really good. I don't imagine we'd have the pieces to pull something like that off I guess.

According to the "Portal" for all relevant stats updated daily by MLB.com I have access I found this interesting.

It's not too telling other than we lack bats.

Wow. So Marlins & Nats are the only teams in the NL who have yet to score 10 runs in a single game this season.

And yet the Nats are just a half a game behind the Dodgers for the best record in the entire league.

According to the "Portal" for all relevant stats updated daily by MLB.com I have access I found this interesting.

It's not too telling other than we lack bats.

Wow. So Marlins & Nats are the only teams in the NL who have yet to score 10 runs in a single game this season.

And yet the Nats are just a half a game behind the Dodgers for the best record in the entire league.

That's what happens when you have pitching as good as theirs. You don't need to score as many runs.

Guest Guest

This is ridiculous. It's pretty damn obvious that Loria (and Samson) had a hands-on approach to building this "showcase" team. If the offseason moves don't produce a championship team should Loria & [step] son clean out their desks?

Your constant attacks against Beinfest & Hill are laughable.

Lol. If Loria wants to find the problem in the front office he needs to look in the mirror. He thinks he is a GM. He should totally stay out of the way of the real GM and just handle ownership decisions, he is good at that.

Manny......??...???.......

He couldn't make the a's lineup...yeah, you should know where I'm heading with this

I really wouldn't be that upset if we got Manny. Gaby is sucking and having LoMo in left can't be any worse than Manny in left.

Really it doesn't matter right now. We can't pitch or hit .

Manny......??...???.......

He couldn't make the a's lineup...yeah, you should know where I'm heading with this

they don't have a good lineup but they have 3 pretty good outfielders that were blocking him. outfield is their strength.

Guest Guest

During the offseason, I heard Loria's and Samson's names associated with rumors/moves infinitely more than Beinfest's or Hill's.

During the offseason, I heard Loria's and Samson's names associated with rumors/moves infinitely more than Beinfest's or Hill's.

I think that was more because of the flow of $$$ than them making any real decisions on the talent. Loria because it's his wallet, and Samson because he is the one that always talked about how $$$ would be spent in the past.

I also heard in the off season how much Hanley didn't want to play 3B and was even demanding a trade. IOW, the media sucks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.