Carlos Lee

Erick

I want to see Lomo at first for a full season before trading him. Next year seems to be a lost, bare bones season to me. If this team is focused on cost cutting this offseason (or more efficient spending), I would rather they not resign Lee. Of course, I say this knowing and predicting nothing of how Lomo will play next year or his trade value now.

Re-sign, no doubt about it. Dump LoMo while he still has any trade value.

Lee can be a good stopgap until a young, worthwhile 1B is either made through the system or is available for purchase on the market at a reasonable price.

For serious? LoMo has virtually no trade value, but he still has upside, and he wasn't healthy at all this year. Plus he hasn't even had more than a few weeks at his natural position.

I went with Lomo at 1B.

I think the only way you're interested in Lee is if you truly believe this team can compete in the National League East next year. Even in that case, I am not sure that he's an upgrade, really.

Also difficult to believe that we're selling high on Morrison. If it was a sell high opportunity, I might go with keeping Lee; however, I think the risk/reward favors keeping Morrison in '13, especially when you consider that Lee is turning 38 and the likelihood of competing next year is rather slim in this division.

I'd keep him, I've said it before I'd split Lomo between LF and 1B. Lee has been steadily consistent as a Marlin, and to be honest we don't have enough of those types of hitters. If his price is right, resign him to a deal without a No-Trade Clause and move him mid-season if it comes down to it.

Although, I see Lee going back to Houston next year as a DH cheap.

I'd keep him, I've said it before I'd split Lomo between LF and 1B. Lee has been steadily consistent as a Marlin, and to be honest we don't have enough of those types of hitters. If his price is right, resign him to a deal without a No-Trade Clause and move him mid-season if it comes down to it.

How?

By the way, it's worth mentioning that Carlos Lee's .OPS as a Marlin is only .713, despite it seeming to be a whole lot better than that.

*cough* Hermida *cough*

He's done, dude. How young is he, and he's had how many surgeries? And what has he mounted to?

So many red flags going up. Abandon ship while you still can, he's a lost cause.

His OPS was .837 and .797 as a 22 and 23 year old. Hermida had just one season (of more than 50 PA) that came close to that.

Plus, Hermida sucking doesn't mean every young player with a down year is going to be terrible.

Also, he has been hurt this entire year. Him being young cuts in both directions; you would also expect him to be better able to bounce bank.

The surgery is on the same tendon as last time, which also cuts both ways -- he's not as injury-prone, yet he obviously has problems with that tendon. Hopefully surgery finally fixes them once and for all.

How?

By the way, it's worth mentioning that Carlos Lee's .OPS as a Marlin is only .713, despite it seeming to be a whole lot better than that.

About the only way I see it is having them platoon Lee and Morrison Lefty/Righty somewhat and have Morrison get some days in LF when one of the OF guys needs rest. It depends if Ruggiano is the LF next year, and you can give Ruggs or the CF the day off by moving them around and sliding Morrison in there.

Ex: Ruggs is LF, on day Morrison starts, Ruggs is CF or day off.

He really hasn't earned the right to be given the first base job, his performance in two different platoons would earn him that. If he performs well, move Lee at the deadline. If he underwelms, demote him for the year like Coughlan or move him like Sanchez.

*cough* Hermida *cough*

He's done, dude. How young is he, and he's had how many surgeries? And what has he mounted to?

So many red flags going up. Abandon ship while you still can, he's a lost cause.

His OPS was .837 and .797 as a 22 and 23 year old. Hermida had just one season (of more than 50 PA) that came close to that.

Plus, Hermida sucking doesn't mean every young player with a down year is going to be terrible.

Also, he has been hurt this entire year. Him being young cuts in both directions; you would also expect him to be better able to bounce bank.

The surgery is on the same tendon as last time, which also cuts both ways -- he's not as injury-prone, yet he obviously has problems with that tendon. Hopefully surgery finally fixes them once and for all.

Chris Volstad posted a 2.88 ERA and allowed only 3 HRs in half a season. They figured him out.

Chris Coghlan posted a .321 avg .850 OPS. They figured him out.

Jeremy Hermida posted a .296 avg .870 OPS. They figured him out.

Cameron Maybin simply never panned out.

Prospects can be rated high. There's clear signs when they're slipping. We can still get some pieces from Morrison that can perhaps give us a good bullpen next season. His position is easily replaceable. He doesn't have any useful tools at this point, and honestly it's not like even if he learns how to hit his defense will get any better. Nor will his speed get any better, etc. etc. Plus the injuries at such a young age are terrible signs. I hate his antics and I'm afraid he's going to amount to nothing. I mean mark it down, if it happens I'm saying it now. He's f***ing useless and he's not going to amount to anything. I've seen enough. Sell now while you can actually get a major league player for him.

I like the old dude but there's really no place for him once LoMo comes back and is finally at 1B(where he should be). Now if Lomo comes back shaky from the knee or whatever and doesn't produce like we have all hoped after we already dumped Lee then we will be kicking ourselves.

But you can't really pay Lee that kind of money just to be a part timer 1B/bench player. Or maybe he'd take much less since he's near the end of his career and has come out several times making it clear he loves Miami and wants to stay.

*cough* Hermida *cough*

Chris Volstad posted a 2.88 ERA and allowed only 3 HRs in half a season. They figured him out.

Chris Coghlan posted a .321 avg .850 OPS. They figured him out.

Jeremy Hermida posted a .296 avg .870 OPS. They figured him out.

Cameron Maybin simply never panned out.

Prospects can be rated high. There's clear signs when they're slipping. We can still get some pieces from Morrison that can perhaps give us a good bullpen next season. His position is easily replaceable. He doesn't have any useful tools at this point, and honestly it's not like even if he learns how to hit his defense will get any better. Nor will his speed get any better, etc. etc. Plus the injuries at such a young age are terrible signs. I hate his antics and I'm afraid he's going to amount to nothing. I mean mark it down, if it happens I'm saying it now. He's f***ing useless and he's not going to amount to anything. I've seen enough. Sell now while you can actually get a major league player for him.

And Morrison had 2 good seasons with a low OPS, unlike all of those guys. Coghlan's was a total lucky fluke, as was Volstad's good part-of-a-season.

Of course top-rated guys might not pan out. Who is arguing that? (I don't think Cogs was ever as highly-rated as those other guys, by the way). That point is acknowledged and not that important, since we're discussing one particular player.

Yes, he has slipped. But the key question is his value to us versus his value in a trade. His value in a trade is quite minimal. If he get back to his pre-injury, pre-2012 offensive levels -- let alone improve, since he is nearing what is supposed to be the prime of his career -- then he will have a good bit of value.

His defense has always been said to be good, and the advanced defensive metrics (on Fangraphs and BR) loved his defense this year, even with a bad knee. It was a small sample, of course, but that sample should have done nothing to change the opinion that he can be an average++ defender at first.

His antics? I don't care as long as he hustles on the field, which he seems to.

You have yet to tell me why his injuries are so damning so as to make me forget about all of the above, other than that you just think it's a terrible sign.

He's got almost no trade value but a significant chance to be a useful player. We have far too few useful players, and it's not worth trading a potential one just for maybe a bullpen arm for a season where we probably aren't going to contend, anyway.

i rather have Lomo in LF rather than Petersen, Cousins, Coghlan, Hernandez, so on,...so keep Lee in first

The reason LoMo is having health issues is because he's been in LF for such a long time. I'd rather see a platoon situation in LF than see LoMo play another inning in LF.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.