December 6, 201213 yr Trade Nolasco. Or trade him in July. Whatever. What we need to do is acquire a player that can play 3B and can help the young guys. Not a "professional" like Helms, but a player that succeeds as much on process as he does on talent. It seems to me that that's going to come in the form of a 2B in 2014. I don't think we've got anyone waiting in the wings to take over at second - but we do have two players who are now possible 3B of the future. I think Solano is there for a while. K's are a little high, but that will work itself out. Defensively he's fine and I think will get better. Or are we back to the thinking that if he isn't hitting dingers he's not worth the uniform?
December 6, 201213 yr Solano will have 2013 to show them what he can do. If Dietrich hits in AA he'd be the favorite for the 2B job in 2014 though.
December 6, 201213 yr why is anyone happy about this? ew. s****y return agreed. Y'all are underselling escobar's talent and team friendly contract. I fully expect this to turn into a huge steal for TB. 5M for a solid SS and all you give up is a 23 year old who had a .750 OPS in AA ball... Marlins just wanted to get rid of the 5M.
December 6, 201213 yr why is anyone happy about this? ew. s****y return agreed. Y'all are underselling escobar's talent and team friendly contract. I fully expect this to turn into a huge steal for TB. 5M for a solid SS and all you give up is a 23 year old who had a .750 OPS in AA ball... Marlins just wanted to get rid of the 5M. BUT THEY SAID THEY'RE REINVESTING IT. REINVEST-ING IT!!!!!!!!!!!REINVEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 6, 201213 yr Author why is anyone happy about this? ew. s****y return agreed. Y'all are underselling escobar's talent and team friendly contract. I fully expect this to turn into a huge steal for TB. 5M for a solid SS and all you give up is a 23 year old who had a .750 OPS in AA ball... Marlins just wanted to get rid of the 5M. Escobar said he wasn't comfortable playing 3B and stated that he wanted to be traded.
December 6, 201213 yr Oh I wouldn't be surprised if we've lost out on even some mediocre players over the past week who've gotten similar offers from multiple teams but didn't pick the marlins because marlins.
December 6, 201213 yr Based on rumors, the only real offer they've made and lost out on was Jeff Keppinger.
December 6, 201213 yr Author God, this year is going to be bad. 1998 bad. I think we will win more games in 2013 than we did in 2012. I expect it to be a lot better than 1998 to be honest.
December 7, 201213 yr I don't know how you guys figure there's "no way". That year, we had two proven position players at the beginning of the year. This year, we have one. We had a good prospect with Kotsay who played well that year which I think will be Hechavarria this year. Other than that, I don't see another above average OPS on this team. Pitching is a disaster. I mean Nolasco as the ace? Really? To me, that's eerily similar to '98 when our ace was Livan and none of our starters had winning records or an ERA under 4.4. As this team sits, I don't see how we can expect anything more than 65-70 wins. I just don't see it.
December 7, 201213 yr That team didn't have Stanton. The pitching is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
December 7, 201213 yr Also, you said "anything more than 65-70 wins" and I would probably agree with that; the 1998 team, however, went 54-108. This team is not that bad.
December 7, 201213 yr This Marlins team is its own unique type of bad. Let's try to not compare them to previously bad Marlins teams.
December 7, 201213 yr '98 was that bad because the starting pitchers were Livan, Brian Meadows, Jesus Sanchez, Andy Larkin, Kurt Ojala, and Rafael Medina. Livan 4.72 Meadows 5.21 Sanchez 4.47 Larkin 9.64 Ojala 4.25 Medina 6.01 Dempster 7.08
December 7, 201213 yr Author Ryan Dempster 7.08 Ryan Dumpster as I liked to call him back in the day.
December 7, 201213 yr Ryan Dempster 7.08 Ryan Dumpster as I liked to call him back in the day. didn't he throw a one hitter that year?
December 7, 201213 yr Author Ryan Dempster 7.08 Ryan Dumpster as I liked to call him back in the day. didn't he throw a one hitter that year? I don't recall but even if he did, he wasn't a great pitcher back then. Remember, Bud Smith threw a no hitter.
December 7, 201213 yr Also, you said "anything more than 65-70 wins" and I would probably agree with that; the 1998 team, however, went 54-108. This team is not that bad. Oh, I don't think we will win less than 60. All I meant was that it will be comperable to '98. I think (and definitely hope) this rotation is better than that year's. But I doubt we have a .300 hitter, I doubt anyone reaches 100 RBIs, and I doubt anyone has an ERA under 4, all of which we didn't have that year.
December 7, 201213 yr Solano will have 2013 to show them what he can do. If Dietrich hits in AA he'd be the favorite for the 2B job in 2014 though. That very well could be. But with the addition of a new hitting coach AND Perry hill I do expect more from Solano this year. In 2012 he really wasn't all that bad at the plate, taking into consideration everyone basically sucked under Perez's instruction. The guy isn't a power hitter and will never put up big power numbers unless he learns to hit those gaps in our pond and turns those singles into doubles and triples. He has some learning to do in every aspect of his game, but I really do expect him to turn opinions this year.
December 7, 201213 yr The 2013 Marlins could very well lose 108 games. In fact, I'm rooting for it to happen.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.