I caved and bought tickets for the Braves @ Marlins games

Miami_Marlins_fan

I know I said I would not do anything to put money in Loria's pockets, but I already broke that promise. Watching these guys struggle over the last two days has me concerned, and I fear that our attendance might be bad. So for what it's worth, I am determined to make it a little less empty and be there to root for the team, no matter how we do.

I got tickets for the 9th and the 10th.

I hope some of you will do your best to be there too. They could certainly use some support. It's not their fault that the ownership is so pathetic. And who knows, I could get lucky and catch a Stanton home run. That alone would be worth it.

I know I said I would not do anything to put money in Loria's pockets, but I already broke that promise. Watching these guys struggle over the last two days has me concerned, and I fear that our attendance might be bad. So for what it's worth, I am determined to make it a little less empty and be there to root for the team, no matter how we do.

so counterproductive.

I bought tickets to game 2 with the Braves a few weeks ago, but refused to buy home opener tickets because I don't feel I want to participate in any "celebrations", because there is nothing to celebrate when it comes to the Marlins these days.

It will only be the 5th home opener I will have missed.

I'm buying tickets to one of the games in Kansas City, so technically, I'm not putting money in Loria's pockets. And with what I expect some of the ticket prices to drop to, I'm not putting money in their pockets, either.

Except that the Marlins get about 23% of the home gate when they are the visiting team.

If you buy previously unsold tickets from the Royals, you are directly putting money into Loria's pocket.

Now, if you're buying a ticket on StubHub (or wherever,) technically you're not putting any money in Loria's pocket -- the original buyer already did that. You're merely a partial contributor after the fact -- some fraction of the money that winds up in Loria's pocket is attributable to you as a result of your purchase.

This thread does prove one thing: MLB > Loria-hatred/dissatisfaction/whining. Long live baseball.

While I don't hate Loria at all and consider his latest moves fully justified by financial reality, I wouldn't object one bit if he sold the team. Why? I would no longer have to slog through all of the silly Loria-hatred on this site.

I know I said I would not do anything to put money in Loria's pockets, but I already broke that promise. Watching these guys struggle over the last two days has me concerned, and I fear that our attendance might be bad. So for what it's worth, I am determined to make it a little less empty ...

I'm confused. I thought the point of a boycott was to ensure that the stadium would be as empty as possible?

Let's say there are 100 posters/lurkers on this board who refuse to spend a dime on the Marlins this year. At 1K each, that's 100K. More likely a lot less than that, considering the demography here.

So, would 20K or 100K or even 500K in lost revenue tip the balance in Loria's mind, resulting in a sale of the team?

Of course not, they're all tiny amounts in a 200 mill revenue bucket. But, it might cause him to be less aggressive on future spending.

Beyond the humor involved in watching people who claimed they won't spend a dime unilaterally decide to spend many dimes, the whole idea of a boycott is totally counterproductive.

Want a less competitive team than it could be in '14 and thereafter? Don't support them this year.

I've made extensive posts about the Marlins operating costs and financials and concluded that their claim of a 40 mill loss last year was entirely reasonable and credible. Turns out that it was even worse than that -- 47 million -- see the Herald's article about their recent access to 10 years of financials:

And while cutting payroll used to produce profits, the added debt and operating costs of a new $634 million stadium have left team executives predicting another loss on top of last year’s team record $47 million operating loss.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/31/3315626/the-financial-mess-at-marlins.html

Even Cubs fans support their team, no matter how horrible the ownership ever was and they haven't won a WS in 104 years of tears and gnashing of teeth. Generations of Cubs fans have lived and died without a win. Marlins fans should consider themselves lucky.

Boycott?

Cut off your nose to spite your face. Yeah, that'll work.

:lol

And, speaking of "bad" owners, as many here are wont to do, consider Calvin Griffith, owner of the Twins for 29 years between Washington from '55 as the Nationals/Senators (that's right, "Nationals" was not a new name for the DC team) and Minnesota until '84 as the Twins.

The Nats/Senators/Twins under Griffith got to exactly one WS in '65 and lost to the Dodgers in 7 games after being up 2-zip. (Koufax and Drysdale, what can you say?)

Griffith was an outright racist -- Rod Carew refused to sign with him for that very reason and was traded. Griffith's racial views weren't known to the general public until '74 when he ran his mouth at some public speech, long after I went to my last Twins game, but I never gave a crap about the owner -- good, bad or indifferent.

I went to games to watch baseball, period. I watched Killebrew launch 450' HRs and Carew try to steal home for a record-setting 8th time that year (he was out.) Baseball was all that mattered, and it was always fun to watch, win or lose -- and they put many bad teams on the field over the years.

Owners come and go. Best ignored because you can't do a damned thing about them. They own it and you don't and nothing you will say or do is going to change that.

At least Loria only employs one semi-"family" member in the FO. I used to read the Twins game program cover-to-cover and wonder about how anyone not named Griffith would ever get a job in their FO as everyone was either named Griffith or was an in-law of some sort. Nepotism at its finest extreme. Loria doesn't even begin to approach that sort of nonsense.

As for the Cubs this attendance phenomenon didn't really happen until the 1980's. I always giggle when I see them projected as "generations and generations" of fans that filled the stadium. In 1981 their average attendance was 9,752 and in between 1970 and 1980 they averaged 15,119 which would be last or near last in attendance in either league in this modern age.

While yes they have arguably the most loyal of fandom in MLB they haven't always been there packing the stadium. It's really a product I think of their being on WGN for many years and the exposure they received via that media outlet.

My question with regard to ... I guess is would Loria have turned a profit even if all tickets and skyboxes were sold out last year ? And is the main culprit those skyboxes - if he sells all of the field level seats, but fails with selling enough of the skyboxes does that preclude enough revenue to keep the high end payroll ? Did he let his ego get in the way of common sense economics last year ?

If the last question is answered by him to the public honestly and with some contriteness, I believe there could be a modicum of forgiveness the public would bestow upon him. But his letter to the fans of 3 or 4 weeks ago, didn't have any humility in it that I saw, none that was felt genuinely and so the reaction has been as expected - vitriolic and counterproductive for the future of this franchise. It did nothing but stir up the hate and remind everyone of why they dislike Jeffrey Loria.

Its a very sad situation, that frankly I don't know how it can be rectified without Loria quietly retiring from the front of the running of the franchise (he could still exercise power but behind the throne) and hiring a new front man (i.e. not David Samson) or by selling.

There has been a large segment of the population of South Florida, and in Miami-Dade County in particular that was already turned off permanently to Loria and the way he runs the Marlins. Now that number has grown exponentially and this fanbase is so poisoned that Loria may never be able to recover them enough to make this a financial go for him. His best move IMO would be to sell as soon as he can without any financial penalty, but I have seen that ... says he will not be selling them anytime soon. Well that will be his own folly and loss of millions of $ if does stay in the game.

Now let's beat those Mets !

I'm buying tickets to one of the games in Kansas City, so technically, I'm not putting money in Loria's pockets. And with what I expect some of the ticket prices to drop to, I'm not putting money in their pockets, either.

Except that the Marlins get about 23% of the home gate when they are the visiting team.

If so, I really hope he enjoys the Rolo I bought him.

As for the Cubs this attendance phenomenon

Who said anything about the Cubs' attendance?

I said generations of Cubs fans (plural, we know there were always at least two of them) have lived and died without a WS win. It's a fact.

Loria's attendance problem was 2.2 million tickets (out of a potential 3 million) sold with only 1.4 million turnstile clicks. Lots of unsold seats and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of unpurchased hot dogs, beers, merchandise, etc. See the thread(s) from a few weeks ago.

With the revenue sharing money there's no way that even if they finish dead last in attendance, they will lose money.

That remains a myth. Their breakeven is somewhere around 135 mill, IIRC.

Attendance is going to suck, which means concession revenue is also going to suck, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do wind up in the red this year.

Loria probably doesn't care if anyone shows up. With the national T.V money, local T.V. money, radio money and the revenue sharing check.....they are going to be a very profitable baseball team.......and that's the bottom line.

Oh, yeah, he cares.

The national TV deal increase (25 mill) doesn't kick in until next year. Their local FOX TV deal stinks until 2020. Revenue sharing is only part of their 135 mill nut.

Your conclusion is erroneous.

With the revenue sharing money there's no way that even if they finish dead last in attendance, they will lose money.

But this year I don't know that they get that much, remember rev sharing is based on the previous year. Our payroll was among the top last year.

Not saying that's an excuse, because he obviously way overspent what should have been his budget, so he needed to cut back this year. However had the front office been a bit more prudent the cutbacks certainly wouldn't have had to be so drastic. If he had only spent $ 75-80 million and cut say $ 15 or $ 20 million I don't think anyone, even those here on the board would have had too much to say about it.

What I don't understand is the pursuit of Pujols and CJ Wilson. Those signings would have put the payroll at well over $ 140 million, maybe close to $ 150 million. It looks more suspicious to some that he was loading up, only to unload, because he already didn't have enough income even with selling the place out to sustain $ 100 million, how in the world could he have carried $ 140+ million ? Can anyone explain what he was going to do even if they win a world series, he's going to have to unload a lot of salary for 2013. It was just all folly and no foresight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.