7/14 Post Game

Well, the home plate umpire overturning the Dietrich double hurt a lot, especially since Hech singled to left immediately after Dietrich struck out. Then we killed ourselves in the third with that Polanco baserunning gaff and, of course, Ozuna singles to left to start the fourth. No guarantee Ozuna would have come through with the bases loaded and two outs, but the numbers did favor him quite nicely.

Why does Redmond use this lineup when the team has four days off? I understand giving guys rest, but to start Pierre, Polanco, Dobbs, and Mathis all in the same game is pretty much telling the other team to please win the game.

Agree 100% although Mathis is actually somewhat useful behind the plate and him batting 8th doesn't kill us like tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the 1-2 spot.

Why does Redmond use this lineup when the team has four days off? I understand giving guys rest, but to start Pierre, Polanco, Dobbs, and Mathis all in the same game is pretty much telling the other team to please win the game.

Agree 100% although Mathis is actually somewhat useful behind the plate and him batting 8th doesn't kill us like tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the 1-2 spot. Pretty crazy listening the the numbers when Mathis starts. Our record when he is behind the plate is well over .500 and well below with anyone else. Pitching stats also much better with him behind the plate.

I am still a member of the "Mathis is useless" community due to his terrible bat until he can do what Hech has done and turn it around offensively. But I guess I am coming around more and more...

Agree 100% although Mathis is actually somewhat useful behind the plate and him batting 8th doesn't kill us like tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the 1-2 spot.Pretty crazy listening the the numbers when Mathis starts. Our record when he is behind the plate is well over .500 and well below with anyone else. Pitching stats also much better with him behind the plate.

I am still a member of the "Mathis is useless" community due to his terrible bat until he can do what Hech has done and turn it around offensively. But I guess I am coming around more and more...

Saturday's PBP had some numbers that surprised me. Pitchers' ERA with Brantly--- 4.61, ranks 27th out of 29 qualifying MLB catchers, dead last in the NL. Mathis---Era of 2.49 ranks him 1st since coming off his injury stint. According to Red going into ST, this is the first time Brantly would be calling the games instead of the coaches calling each pitch. There will be a learning curve, but so far the results aren't very good.

Also in Mathis's last 10 games he has 34 ABs with 11 hits and 11 ribbies. Small sample size, but still not bad at all.

That keeps me in the community of waiting it out to see how he does when settled in. Gotta take into account he got injured in the first ST game and was waaaaay behind offensively. Takes time to get your swing together. Not saying he has any future here. Just saying patience is lacking on this board.

I'm not sure if I entirely buy the idea yet that Mathis is much better at calling games. I won't rule it out, but the sample size is pretty small right now.

I'd imagine that if you took a starting pitcher and looked at the pitch FX data for Brantly vs. Mathis starts, you could confirm or deny this theory. It would take a lot of work, though.

Agree 100% although Mathis is actually somewhat useful behind the plate and him batting 8th doesn't kill us like tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the 1-2 spot.Pretty crazy listening the the numbers when Mathis starts. Our record when he is behind the plate is well over .500 and well below with anyone else. Pitching stats also much better with him behind the plate.

Saturday's PBP had some numbers that surprised me. Pitchers' ERA with Brantly--- 4.61, ranks 27th out of 29 qualifying MLB catchers, dead last in the NL. Mathis---Era of 2.49 ranks him 1st since coming off his injury stint. According to Red going into ST, this is the first time Brantly would be calling the games instead of the coaches calling each pitch. There will be a learning curve, but so far the results aren't very good.

Also in Mathis's last 10 games he has 34 ABs with 11 hits and 11 ribbies. Small sample size, but still not bad at all.

That keeps me in the community of waiting it out to see how he does when settled in. Gotta take into account he got injured in the first ST game and was waaaaay behind offensively. Takes time to get your swing together. Not saying he has any future here. Just saying patience is lacking on this board.

Sure he's been great defensively and I actually kinda like the guy. But he has a career .573 OPS so even when he gets his swing together, we're looking at a sub .600 OPS upside at best.

OPS is much more important than winning baseball games.

You're assuming there's an implied value in Mathis catching games. I don't know of any stat that can back that up except wins, which is a team statistic, and ERA, which a pitcher statistic. Meanwhile, we do have an a valuable statistic in OPS, which tells you that Mathis is not just bad at hitting, but one of the worst.

Well, the fact that the Marlins record is way above five hundred with Mathis catching a variety of pitchers and way way way below five hundred when he does not catch should be the ultimate "stat"

But, to many, Fan Graphs is the final word.

And you're implying that those wins were mainly a result of Mathis being the catcher, which is a pretty big stretch with little statistical evidence to support it.

Well, the fact that the Marlins record is way above five hundred with Mathis catching a variety of pitchers and way way way below five hundred when he does not catch should be the ultimate "stat"

You do realize that fangraphs has a very positive rating for Mathis' defense this year, right? It's not as if they even disagree with your stance on the subject. Mathis has been more valuable than Brantly who's been absolutely atrocious.

You do realize that fangraphs has a very positive rating for Mathis' defense this year, right? It's not as if they even disagree with your stance on the subject. Mathis has been more valuable than Brantly who's been absolutely atrocious.

Mathis is having the best season of his career believe or not. Besides his average, the rest of his stats are above his career highs (not saying much, but still). All in all, he's been a .6 WAR player in 100 AB.s Over a full season, we got a 3 WAR catcher on our hands. Looks like ole Admin (Beinfest, not our gracious host here) was right about Mathis being the critical piece!! :p :P :)

But yeah, too your point, fangraphs supports that Mathis has been "useful", but to give him most of the credit is silly. He did after all return around the same time as lomo and rgkeller's favorite RF.

Yeah I think a lot of that (at this point) can be attributed to Brantly's inexperience (or just suckiness if you'd rather). Mathis has called a lot more games than Brantly and he's more polished behind the plate for sure. Forget who it was but after a recent good outing one of our starters said he only shook off Mathis once. He doesn't allow as many passed balls, and he blocks the plate better when there's a play at home (though I feel like Brantly's been decent in that regard).

Not to mention Mathis has been throwing out runners at a ridiculous %. It's just that he can't hit a lick. Those wins for Mathis v Brantly should even out a little by the end of the year.

Wondering if a full season of AAA wouldn't have helped Brantly clean up some of his issues a bit.

Yeah I think a lot of that (at this point) can be attributed to Brantly's inexperience (or just suckiness if you'd rather). Mathis has called a lot more games than Brantly and he's more polished behind the plate for sure. Forget who it was but after a recent good outing one of our starters said he only shook off Mathis once. He doesn't allow as many passed balls, and he blocks the plate better when there's a play at home (though I feel like Brantly's been decent in that regard).

Not to mention Mathis has been throwing out runners at a ridiculous %. It's just that he can't hit a lick.

It's looking like a full season of AAA certainly wouldn't have hurt Brantly.

I don't get why they're going to keep Brantly up if they're not gonna start him. I guess I get the whole Mathis/young pitcher thing, but let Brantly get ABs in AAA at least.

I wouldn't say "absolutely atrocious." Very disappointing seems a better fit. It was pretty well known his defensive abilities needed work when he came here. It just seems to be much slower than anticipated. Being patient is starting to test my patience. Maybe it's because memories are too fresh of previous catchers that had a decent bat but couldn't get it together behind the plate.

I'm not sure if I entirely buy the idea yet that Mathis is much better at calling games. I won't rule it out, but the sample size is pretty small right now.

I'd imagine that if you took a starting pitcher and looked at the pitch FX data for Brantly vs. Mathis starts, you could confirm or deny this theory. It would take a lot of work, though.

Gotta agree on the sample size. And it's kinda unfair to judge one person on the performances of others around him. I just found that article a little interesting because the numbers and rankings were so lop sided.

Not to mention Mathis has been throwing out runners at a ridiculous %. It's just that he can't hit a lick.

It's looking like a full season of AAA certainly wouldn't have hurt Brantly.

I don't get why they're going to keep Brantly up if they're not gonna start him. I guess I get the whole Mathis/young pitcher thing, but let Brantly get ABs in AAA at least.

Their reasoning is quite simple. His bat is supposedly ML ready. It's his defense that needs the work. (It's what was "leaked" when he got here and before ST this year.) So enter Mathis and a new manager that was a catcher. Not so sure he could get that kind of instruction at a lower level. We don't really know what is happening behind the scenes, but I would have to imagine he is getting some work in during practices and some intense instruction while not playing (Before, during and after games. On those flights between cities. etc....) After his starts he should be getting heavily critiqued.

Agree with it or not, it looks like this is the plan. But who really knows.