Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

September call-ups

Featured Replies

There's no hitters outside of Stanton and Yelich (and potentially LoMo) who I view as real long term lineup pieces and the only top caliber prospect waiting in the wings in the minors is Moran and he's in Greensboro.

 

The lineup has major problems now and it doesn't appear that those problems will go away in the foreseeable future.

 

At this point our best possible lineup we could put out on the field would be

 

C: Mathis (Barnes as future backup plan and Brantly as the no one likes you option, again bleh all around)

1B: Morrison (a first baseman with little power and no defense. Even with his high OBP he's easily replaceable with 1B with power)

SS: Hechavarria (no backup plan)

2B: Dietrich (Solano/Coghlan backup plan, bleh)

3B: HOLY CRAP I JUST A TUMBLEWEED GO BY

LF: Yelich (Our first Yay!)

CF: Ozuna (backup Marisnick. Both guys have potential, with Ozuna imo the better player of the two, but Ozuna needs to regain his old power stroke to be worth a damn).

RF: Stanton (obv one of the few major league caliber hitters on the roster).

 

So there is one guarantee great hitter in Stanton (even with a down year), one guy who will be a top of the lineup consistent hitter in Yelich, and a bunch of crap with no real alternatives in site. At SS there is nobody on the horizon and crap at the major league level. At 2B there's Dietrich who I like but he's no .800 OPS caliber player in the waiting. Literally all we've got for 3B guys is Moran. That makes me sad. I wasn't high on Marisnick from the get go and he's shown he's not even close to major league ready right now.

 

If I had to guess the current hitters that can be mainstays on the roster for the next few years, I'd say

 

LF: Yelich

CF: Ozuna

RF: Stanton

2B: Dietrich

 

and potentially Morrison at 1B if he ever figures out how to get on base and add some power to repertoire at the same time. That leaves three or four positions, including C, SS, 3B, that have absolutely jack s*** ready for next season (F Jeff Mathis and the potential of being subjected to another year of sub .600 OPS' from him, Hechavarria, and whatever jack s*** we put out there at 3B.

 

Nicely put, our lineup looks like crap and should remain crap for a little while longer unless we do s*** in free agency.

 

 

Sign Abreu..7yrs, 60M

 

Trade Morrison w/ one of Alvarez or Nicolino and throw in Koehler and hope for a decent fielding mid-700 OPS middle infielder or 3rd who can also play 2nd.

 

Present McCann with an offer he can't refuse tied in with some form of agreed to no-trade clause.

 

No hope otherwise. Current Batting lineup is all time suckfest.

 

Love the pitching we have. Alot of good young arms, on the big club and down on the farm. Inclined to think (or at least hope) that Loria isn't of the mind to waste it and will spend what needs to be spent to at least create an avg hitting lineup than can afford a Hech batting 8th.

  • Author

how would calling up flynn work?

 

 

His contract would be purchased from NOLA, the Marlins would have to make a corresponding move to make space on the 40 man roster. They can DFA somebody, place someone on the 60 day DL, to make the space.

how would calling up flynn work?

 

 

He's starting on Wednesday.

 

 

In the majors?

 

 

 

Yes.

 

 

 

where do you see this? he isn't on the 40 man roster, and there have been no moves.

  • Author

how would calling up flynn work?

 

 

He's starting on Wednesday.

 

 

In the majors?

 

 

 

Yes.

 

 

 

where do you see this? he isn't on the 40 man roster, and there have been no moves.

 

 

 

Flynn tweeted it, so it has to be true

Excited to watch Flynn pitch. His #'s in the PCL are impressive. Even though Tommy Hutton probably won't like him as much because he's not a winner.

 

Anyway, hopefully he comes to the big leagues and pitches like he did in the minor leagues. Walks are down, K's are good, HR's also down. Don't let us down, Mr. Flynn.

YESS YESS YESSSS!!!! BRIAN FLYNN IS COMING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

I've heard he figured out his change up, and is throwing it in pitchers counts for strikes. Making it devastating. he has a high velocity fast ball, a nasty curve, and did i mention he can throw his change up for a strike. I saw him pitch against the Rangers triple A team, and was almost dominant. He was afraid to throw the change 3-2, if he has gotten more confident in it he is gonig to be good, how good is the question. He is also smart and is capable of adjusting to the league. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people out there.

No Petersen?

 

 

More call-ups coming

 

 

They'll have to clear a space on the 40 man to promote him

 

 

 

Nice knowing ya, Polanco.

 

 

 

 

Probably Jordan Brown who will be DFA'd for Peterson...

I think I don't care to watch Petersen anymore. He's really not needed since we have a bunch of OF'ers anyway. I wonder if we'll have a full 40-man roster by the end of September.

I think I don't care to watch Petersen anymore. He's really not needed since we have a bunch of OF'ers anyway. I wonder if we'll have a full 40-man roster by the end of September.

 

 

I would really like to see him be the 5th OFer next year alongside Ruggiano. I think that would be a really nice right/left combo off the bench, both can hit/run/field pretty well. Whoever loses the battle for CF next year between Ozuna/Marisnick should be getting regular ab's in Jax or NO and HOPEFULLY Coghs is playing 3B.

I really don't care about Petersen anymore.

 

 

He quietly had a good year in NO, and is definitely a valuable bat and glove off the bench.

I really don't care about Petersen anymore.

 

 

He quietly had a good year in NO, and is definitely a valuable bat and glove off the bench.

 

 

He does the same thing every year in NO. He destroys the PCL. AAAA player. He had a decent stint with us in '11 when McKeon was here, but he's been garbage otherwise.

Also, I don't see the point of having five guys on the roster who only play the OF if you have expectations for him next season. That seems unnecessary.

What are they going to do with Brad Hand? Bullpen?

 

 

Yeah, why not?

 

 

Just asking because Turner was expected to be shutdown as well and Alvarez hurt his hamstring today. However, I guess Hand will be used as a long reliever.

What are they going to do with Brad Hand? Bullpen?

 

 

Yeah, why not?

 

 

Just asking because Turner was expected to be shutdown as well and Alvarez hurt his hamstring today. However, I guess Hand will be used as a long reliever.

 

 

 

Ah, that's right. Yeah, Hand may just go into the rotation, then.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.