Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs

Admin

WOOO

If that 2/24 number is correct, it's obviously a bit of an overpay, but it's for two years and our payroll is still insanely low so YAY. We finally have somebody else who can hit a baseball in the lineup.

and strike out 30% of the time...Oh wait we already have that :p

For a team with no 3b, no SS, questionable 2b and no 1b I find it hard to get too excited for this. If we were a piece or 2 away from contending and C was one of those spots, then hell yeah I'd be stoked. Oh well at least I won't have to watch Brantly next year

WOOO

If that 2/24 number is correct, it's obviously a bit of an overpay, but it's for two years and our payroll is still insanely low so YAY. We finally have somebody else who can hit a baseball in the lineup.

For a team with no 3b, no SS, questionable 2b and no 1b I find it hard to get too excited for this. Oh well at least I won't have to watch Brantly next year

How can you not be excited? A position of weakness becomes a strength, without having to give up any future pieces... Awesome move. Hopefully just the first of a few that will solidify other holes you mentioned.

WOOO

For a team with no 3b, no SS, questionable 2b and no 1b I find it hard to get too excited for this. Oh well at least I won't have to watch Brantly next year

We had a catcher who had 232 AB's last season while batting .181, and you can't find even a little excited about getting a catcher/1st baseman who is coming off a .800+ OPS season?

Hell, it's a two year deal. This isn't the kind of deal that hinders the Marlins potential to sign anybody long term (or even short term). Low risk, high reward signing. It's a nice step in the right direction for a team that's looked somewhat directionless since the Toronto trade.

WOOO

How can you not be excited? A position of weakness becomes a strength, without having to give up any future pieces... Awesome move. Hopefully just the first of a few that will solidify other holes you mentioned.

There once was a man named John Buck...that's why... I don't like players being signed for a lot of money with 30% k rates and BABIPs over over .350.

If C was the piece we needed to be contenders then yes, I'd see the point. We won't be contenders during the two years salty is here (fish won't pick up the 3rd year) so it seems kind of silly to me.

But I'll stop and won't rain on the parade anymore!

Welcome to the fish Salty!

And yes, we still need a 3B desperately this off season, and likely a 1st baseman if Morrison is traded (and Hechavarria when they finally realize he's probably never going to hit at a major league level). The offense is still crap, but it's not something that can't be fixed.

C: Salty

1B: Morrison

2B: Dietrich

SS: Hechavarria

3B: *crickets*

LF: Yelich

CF: Ozuna

RF: Stanton

I personally am a fan of Dietrich and feel he can be a good hitter, so I'll say that I like a lineup with Salty/Morrison/Dietrich/Yelich/Ozuna/Stanton involved. Obviously Hechavarria and whoever plays third base will likely be a black hole in the lineup, but there's some potential for growth with the lineup. Long term we're likely to see Morrison traded and Stanton moved to first base to make room for Marisnick (I see Marisnick spending all of next year in AAA).

The pitching staff looks really nice, and we still have the pieces to make a trade that would net us a 3rd baseman or some kind of hitter that can make this lineup major league caliber. We got a lot of pitching depth. Trading a guy like Turner/Alvarez with a few other prospects could net us something really nice in the trade market, and our pitching depth wouldn't take much of a bump at all.

If C was the piece we needed to be contenders then yes, I'd see the point. We won't be contenders during the two years salty is here (fish won't pick up the 3rd year) so it seems kind of silly to me.

I completely disagree. We're a legitimate third baseman away from being a potential .500+ team IMO.

Hopefully spelling bee can have a nice 15-20 HR season and not be awful defensively

Salty has been a + defender his whole career. I don't see why that would change.

Haven't seen much of him but I remember he had issues throwing the ball a few years back. I like the move though, best catcher the Marlins have had since Pudge

I completely disagree. We're a legitimate third baseman away from being a potential .500+ team IMO.

lol wut? You do remember last year don't you? You do remember they were one of the worst offensive teams of ALL TIME. That doesn't just magically change by adding Salty (and hope we get .700 - .750 OPS out of him) and a "legitimate 3b." In addition to 3b, we have offensive black holes at SS, 2b, and 1b. Yelich looks good in LF and Studmuffin fine in right, but there's also no clear answer for CF. We have a long way to go my friend

lol wut? You do remember last year don't you? You do remember they were one of the worst offensive teams of ALL TIME. That doesn't just magically change by adding Salty (and hope we get .700 - .750 OPS out of him) and a "legitimate 3b"

And our pitching was absolutely good enough to build a winning team with a league average offense.

If the team were to stay healthy, you add a third baseman and you absolutely could have a .500+ team.