When do we move some of our future starters to relievers?

h2r09

Obviously we have a huge plethora of good starting pitching prospects and I was just wondering at what point we would start switching some from starters to guys who will be in our bullpen because we only have so many rotation spots.

We already have 4-5 guys in our rotation who look like they could be there for a while and then we have Heaney coming up soon enough. We also have Nicolino, Urena, Desclafini, Flynn, Conley etc. so when do we adjust these guys to where they could possibly help us more in the future.

Specifically Desclafini and Conley because they have been relievers in the past and obviously one or two of these guys will be traded in the future but we only have so many rotation spots and a lot of guys who look like they can be solid starters.

So when does this happen?

I feel like Alvarez has proven more than enough. He is a great #5 at worst and possibly a solid #3. He eats a lot of innings and works quickly. I love the thought of him in our rotation a lot more than Turner.

I think our rotation in the future looks like this: Fernandez Heaney Eovaldi Alvarez Flynn

with Desclafini Conley Urena all in the pen. This is off the top of my head I feel like I'm missing a few prospects.

Edit- Nicolino too but I think he is trade bait/ his K rate worries me and I don't see him as a great player in the future.

You wait... as LONG as you can... because starters are a hell of a lot more valuable than relievers. Chances are anyone they don't see in our rotation will be a trade chip, because again, they're a lot more valuable to trade as starters than they are converting to relievers.

That's an inefficient use of resources. You trade them before you start turning good starters (as far as we, and any other team knows) into relievers.

I'd say we'll probably wait until this offseason to decide how many we'll hang on to. We'll trade the rest for some offense.

That's an inefficient use of resources. You trade them before you start turning good starters (as far as we, and any other team knows) into relievers.

I'd say we'll probably wait until this offseason to decide how many we'll hang on to. We'll trade the rest for some offense.

I agree with trading some of them for hitting but I'm in favor of keeping 2 of them outside the rotation once its full. Considering they were relievers in college I'm all for keeping Conley and Desclafini and putting them in the bullpen and having a bunch of cost controlled pitchers in the pen that can also step up and start if a guy goes down.

I would trade Nicolino and Urena cause they seem to be more starter or bust type.

Remember, the team is probably taking a pitcher second overall in the draft this year too.

If they take Rodon, then:

Fernandez, Heaney, Rodon, Eovaldi, Alvarez. That's scary good.

I'd still keep around maybe another 2 quality SP arms, because injuries and busts happen. h2r09's idea of keeping guys who will be useful in the bullpen is interesting. I'd maybe prefer to stash the 2 keep-around guys in AAA, though, and either using them when an SP goes down or trading them if their values get sufficiently high. There should be at least 2-3 decent arms left over, either for the bullpen or trades.

If they take Rodon, then:

Fernandez, Heaney, Rodon, Eovaldi, Alvarez. That's scary good.

I'd still keep around maybe another 2 quality SP arms, because injuries and busts happen. h2r09's idea of keeping guys who will be useful in the bullpen is interesting. I'd maybe prefer to stash the 2 keep-around guys in AAA, though, and either using them when an SP goes down or trading them if their values get sufficiently high. There should be at least 2-3 decent arms left over, either for the bullpen or trades.

Rodon or Aiken, it's going to be loaded. I like the idea. Get a bat for a few and keep a few.

If you can make Nathan Eovaldi your #4 starter, you basically make that happen.

And you do that by drafting an arm like Kolek.

Or Rodon. Whichever. I really hope the Astros take Rodon now and we take Kolek.

Was just doing some reading on the draft and yes I change my mind. Either Rodon or Kolek and you sprint. 103/6 K/bb for Kolek. WOW.

Rodon > Kolek. Rodon has an elite off speed pitch and is pitching against better competition. Kolek is just burning HS competition with his fastball. Fernandez ® & Rodon (L) is alot more of a sexy tandem. Not to mention Rodon's ETA would be much nearer to NL. However, I heard Rodon is a Boras client, and that with Fernandez is kinda scaring me.

THAT BEING SAID, I expect Astros to pick Rodon, the BPA, while Marlins go with TKO.

I think you could make a case that Rodon is no longer the BPA.

That, and Scott Boras, and his workload, and the fact that he has so much publicity that he'll take up all of his slot money + maybe more.

I think Rodon falls to us. I would pick him (even over Kolek) if he does.