Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where Do We Go From Here?

Featured Replies

even though one of the main purposes of the huge tax payer funded stadium was so that our payroll would increase.

 

 

This. That's the only problem I have with the stadium deal. We had a terrible lease at Sun Life Stadium that didn't give us any revenue for parking, concessions, etc and on top of that we had to pay to play there. The new ballpark changed all these things yet somehow our payroll is in the same exact fucking spot and the team still cries that it can't spend? The team saved up all its cash from the cost cutting teams of '06 and beyond to pay for the $130M stadium contribution, I understood that's what had to happen to make the deal. But they are not paying down a debt; it's paid. They are not having problems with a lease or limited revenue streams; it's all theirs. So what's the fucking excuse? Are they using these years to save up for the long term Jose/Yelich/Ozuna deals? If so, that's fine, but that better be the fucking case.

 

End rant.

Frisaro says the Marlins are still "in on" Shields, but Shields reportedly wants to play out west, so I'm guessing it'll be Padres.

 

This is no doubt your fault. Stop being so rad. Haren and now Shields want to be near you.

 

 

  • Author

Frisaro says the Marlins are still "in on" Shields, but Shields reportedly wants to play out west, so I'm guessing it'll be Padres.

 

This is no doubt your fault. Stop being so rad. Haren and now Shields want to be near you.

 

 

 

love.gif

 

 

It can't be photographed, never fits in the frame

 

He'll go next to the Empire State Building, lay down, whip it out, and the international space station will take a picture.

 

Here's the empire state building next to the Monsterdong:

 

|M

|O

|N

|S

|T

|E

|R

|D

|O

|N

|G

| ESB --> |

 

 

If James Shields signs with the Marlins, I'm buying myself a PS4. Hold me to it. I've been on the fence for a while so I'm going to let fate decide.

 

 

If James Shields signs with the Marlins, I'm buying myself a PS4. Hold me to it. I've been on the fence for a while so I'm going to let fate decide.

 

Buy it anyways.

 

 

If James Shields signs with the Marlins, I'm buying myself a PS4. Hold me to it. I've been on the fence for a while so I'm going to let fate decide.

 

Buy it anyways.

 

 

 

I probably will, but I'll buy it immediately if he signs. No more thinking of it.

 

 

If James Shields signs with the Marlins, I'm buying myself a PS4. Hold me to it. I've been on the fence for a while so I'm going to let fate decide.

 

Buy it anyways.

 

 

 

I probably will, but I'll buy it immediately if he signs. No more thinking of it.

 

 

 

Immediately? Wouldn't you wait until he passes his physical first?

 

 

If James Shields signs with the Marlins, I'm buying myself a PS4. Hold me to it. I've been on the fence for a while so I'm going to let fate decide.

 

Buy it anyways.

 

 

 

I probably will, but I'll buy it immediately if he signs. No more thinking of it.

 

 

 

Immediately? Wouldn't you wait until he passes his physical first?

 

 

 

NO

 

 

Its funny to see how with talks heating back up a whole bunch of team's beat reporters and other media have been chiming in with tweets and things just noting whether or not said team is in or out on Shields. At least we're on the "still in it" side as opposed to surprisingly the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, even Cardinals saying they're out.

 

 

It seems the Cardinals are backing out of the sweepstakes. Yay

 

 

 

We seem to be moving up the list by not doing much and letting others fall aside. Suddenly Shields and Dan Jennings are standing in the middle of a room all alone looking at eachother like "Sup?"

It seems the Cardinals are backing out of the sweepstakes. Yay

 

Where did you see this?

 

It seems like the only two obviouss and interested clubs that haven't been eliminated are the Marlins, Padres and White Sox.

 

 

It seems the Cardinals are backing out of the sweepstakes. Yay

 

 

 

We seem to be moving up the list by not doing much and letting others fall aside. Suddenly Shields and Dan Jennings are standing in the middle of a room all alone looking at eachother like "Sup?"

 

Chuck Hernandez is standing in the corner looking at them both

 

 

Overspending on a per-year basis for a 3 year deal would be totally awesome. 3/60 would be glorious. But I'm sure someone will reach and give him the 4th (and maybe 5th) year. Will be interesting

 

 

It seems the Cardinals are backing out of the sweepstakes. Yay

 

 

Where did you see this?

 

It seems like the only two obviouss and interested clubs that haven't been eliminated are the Marlins, Padres and White Sox.

 

I can't remember if it was a tweet but somewhere today I read the Cardinals say they're more interested in giving Carlos Martinez a shot over paying for Shields.

 

Going back to that whole idea of the front office here wanting Shields but Loria needing to be convinced, I can totally see Loria being persuaded more every time a team says they're backing off. The more leverage Shields loses the cheaper he becomes and the better for a team like us. If San Diego is still involved though I see them leading the way because Preller is more aggressive and we're just trying to back our way into a team friendly deal. Padres are more inclined to give Shields what he desires.

It seems the Cardinals are backing out of the sweepstakes. Yay

 

Where did you see this?

 

It seems like the only two obviouss and interested clubs that haven't been eliminated are the Marlins, Padres and White Sox.

 

 

 

 

  • While it remains unclear exactly where they stand, the Marlins “remain in talks” involving Shields, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. As he writes, the club is more interested in a three-year deal than in going to four, with its pursuit complicated by payroll projections and the undecided situation of Dan Haren.
  • If Miami is in, several other at-least-hypothetical landing spots appear to be out: The Cardinals prefer to plug Carlos Martinez in the rotation rather than signing Shields, tweets Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The Rangers have not modified their intentions to avoid major free agent pitching investments, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan (via Twitter). And the always-unpredictable Athletics are not involved, per a tweet from Heyman.
  • Two more west coast teams, the Giants and Angels, are also not currently in the running, Heyman reports (Twitter links). San Francisco had been in conversations in the four-year, $80MM range with Shields earlier in the offseason, per an Olney tweet, but ended up pursuing (and signing) Jake Peavy and Ryan Vogelsong when they were rebuffed.

This is the latest I've seen.

 

 

For the sake of conversation... MLB Network just had a segment where they picked a potential contending team and asked "What one final piece from the remaining free agents would you add to this ballclub and why?"

 

Al Leiter chose the Marlins and threw me for a loop with Reed Johnson. Although I don't agree I can follow his explanation... He first acknowledged the Ichiro signing as the 4th OF but then said that the team is gonna try and get Ichiro at bats and might lose some of his actual outfield opportunities and thus Johnson, being a veteran who is already familiar with the club and our environment, might be a decent final pickup as a more traditional backup outfielder while Ichiro accumulates at bats.

According to MLBTR, now the 'zero percent chance' comments are resurfacing regarding Shields. I hate this garbage

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.