Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where Do We Go From Here?

Featured Replies

I would offer a 1/$25M and let him test the market again next year. We have the payroll space this year..:

Wouldn't mind Shields but do not think he is overall necessary, and it would be heavily dependent on the cost.

 

 

They have plenty of payroll, Loria is just cheap. Signing him for 4 years wouldn't impact any ability to retain everyone important on the team moving forward and still have a bottom third payroll. I think it is fine for all of us to want them to have a bottom third payroll. That's not an outrageous ask.

 

They need a # 3 starter or better, and for Fernandez to come back healthy at the all star break. I guess they could coast until June/July and make a trade to get the former of those, but it's pretty foolish when Shields is just sitting there and the price seems to be in the palatable range of 4 years $70-80. Which is a little high, but it's the Marlins Jayson Werth contract.

 

It's a no brainer - especially since they can also trade Haren and Cishek and save a bunch of bucks and get likely 1 really good young player for Cishek.

 

Also, the Braves and Phillies will never be worse than they are right now and it's very reasonable to think a really good Marlins team wins a wild card at a minimum with this division. This is a great year to go for it.

 

Do it.

 

 

I don't think Frisaros thought of a last ditch lowball offer is unreasonable. I just keep imagining Shields right now metaphorically standing at his front door with his bags packed but unable to step out because he doesn't know where he's going. With ST so close there's no telling what he would or wouldn't consider right now.

Wouldn't mind Shields but do not think he is overall necessary, and it would be heavily dependent on the cost.

 

 

He's absolutely necessary in order to have a real shot at making the postseason.

 

I don't know about that, but I certainly think it pushes us from a possible contender to a very likely almost certain contender.

Shields is not accepting a short-term deal.

 

 

 

Which makes sense at his age, you always max out the dollars. I'd be surprised if he signs for less than 4/80.

Wouldn't mind Shields but do not think he is overall necessary, and it would be heavily dependent on the cost.

 

 

He's absolutely necessary in order to have a real shot at making the postseason.

 

I don't know about that, but I certainly think it pushes us from a possible contender to a very likely almost certain contender.

 

That's a lot of adjectives to just say promising contender! You've conveyed your passion.. lol

 

 

Can't believe its February and he's still around. This could be a franchise changing signing. Make the move Loria!

 

Edit: Would anyone be kind enough to share Olney's insider op on where Shields may land?

 

 

Any chance we are in on Pabelbon? He's not near the player he used to be but he would really give the bullpen a boost in the 8th inning role.

Any chance we are in on Pabelbon? He's not near the player he used to be but he would really give the bullpen a boost in the 8th inning role.

 

 

No

 

 

Any chance we are in on Pabelbon? He's not near the player he used to be but he would really give the bullpen a boost in the 8th inning role.

 

 

 

No, dear God no. That guys overpaid shit attitude would be horrible for our team and I'd argue that he wouldn't even give us much of a boost on field either. A huge no thank you there.

No matter where he goes I can't wait to see what Shields finally gets.

 

If we don't get him, I'll be sad for a few minutes and then move on. He'd be nice but totally a luxury.

Really sucks to be a fan of a team that is consistently playing at a competitive disadvantage. If loria can't afford even a $100 million payroll he should not be allowed to own a team. Teams with our roster and payroll would be going hard after shields to put us over the top and we are most likely not going to even though one of the main purposes of the huge tax payer funded stadium was so that our payroll would increase.

 

 

Shields market is gaining traction again. Cardinals and Yankees are rumored front runners. If we don't hear anything about the Marlins being it by sometime today then there's no chance. We can only get him with an upfront offer. We aren't surprising or outbidding anyone.

 

 

I get the feeling that when Shields' contract details become public, you're going to have a ton of fans from different teams complaining that their team couldn't offer that amount. I bet it's going to be pretty low. Something like 15MM AAV for 4 years or so

 

 

I get the feeling that when Shields' contract details become public, you're going to have a ton of fans from different teams complaining that their team couldn't offer that amount. I bet it's going to be pretty low. Something like 15MM AAV for 4 years or so

 

Ervin Santana got 4/$55. I do not think Shields gets $60.

 

My guess is he is holding out for a 5th year, and he has $70+ million offers over 4 at minimum.

 

 

I don't understand why Stanton hasn't texted pics of his dong to Shields yet. That'd definitely convince him to come here for less money... maybe even for free. Hell he might pay to play here.

 

 

  • Author

Frisaro says the Marlins are still "in on" Shields, but Shields reportedly wants to play out west, so I'm guessing it'll be Padres.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.