What exactly is desirable about trading our 3rd best hitter for pitchers who are average to maybe a little above average when finding quality pitching is one of the easiest things to do in this day and age in MLB?

Especially when we have shitty hitters to begin with?  That would be unbelievably stupid but count on the marlins selling low yet again.

Smart teams take advantage of market inefficiencies.  Epstein in 3-4 years took a terrible Cubs lineup and realized that finding great young hitters in the non steroid era is incredibly difficult and went through 3 bad years and now has the best young lineup in the game.  Found a gem in Arrieta and made a signing in Lester and now they are going to be a contender for years to come.  Why can't we have a smart, freethinking front office for once who has a smart plan and sticks to it for more than a year?

If you can get Carrasco for Ozuna , you really have to think hard about it.  I like Ozuna and I still have high hopes for him but there are a couple of factors to consider.  1st is that we are in a division with two of the best pitching staffs in the majors which are the Mets and the Nationals.  Even with Fernandez and Hendo (which he isn't) %100 healthy, our staff comes up really shorts against theirs.  You know the old adage.  Good pitching always beats good hitting.  Also, come playoff time the best pitching moves on.

The 2nd thing is that Ozuna is not a true CF and is only playing there because we have better options in LF  and RF.  He covers ground just fine now, but he takes terrible routes and in a couple of years he'll have to move to a corner outfield spot.  

The last thing is that everyone on here is always bitching that we sell low on players.  Well, if we get Carrasco for Ozuna, I think we would have actually sold high or at least at value.  I would venture to say that we are selling high simply because of his down season this year. However, the talent is obviously there.

Diterich in LF, Yelich in CF, and Stanton in RF is still pretty good IMO.  Maybe when they move Latos or Haren we can get another OF.  Just my two cents worth.

Salazar i would love but not for ozuna.  Our pitching is not the issue, our offense is and has been the issue for years now.  Especially with our ballpark it makes finding pitching a lot less of a need.

the rotation next year is Jose, Alvarez, and then some mixture of Koehler, Phelps, Nicolino, and Cosart? that's really not too strong.

the rotation next year is Jose, Alvarez, and then some mixture of Koehler, Phelps, Nicolino, and Cosart? that's really not too strong.

It's really bad actually and there's also no guarantee HA even plays 2016 at this point with him visiting Dr. Andrews and all. Get one of those indian dudes and sign upton to a 4 year contract. 

I am much more into trading for good young hitters that improve our god awful lineup and signing a proven number 2 in the offseason.   Quality free agent hitters are a lot harder to find than pitchers.  Especially already having an ace in Jose and a bunch of other guys who can help fill the rotation in Urena, Nicolino, Conley, Koehler.  

I understand what you guys are saying I just think the bigger priority given where we play half our games should be improving this dreadful lineup cause its been proven we can draft or develop hitters for shit.

I would rather just get the best value in any trade.

Also, considering the injury risk with pitchers, I would actually rather sign bats than sign pitchers. Developing or trading for pitching isn't as expensive, so I don't see why it's a bad thing.

I would also try hard as shit to get Guerrero from the Dodgers if they would be interested in any of our guys on the block.  That guy is a quality bat and would fill an infield spot.

I like Guerrero fine enough but not sure fish have anything the doyers would want

Im saying if you are gonna trade our pitchers at this years deadline, focus on getting impact bats more than starting pitching, IMO.  Quality pitching is a lot easier to find than quality young hitters.   Obviously this all depends on Loria spending but i'd prefer trading for hitters and then signing a number 2 in the offseason.

Jose, FA, Alvarez, Nicolino, Koehler, Cosart, maybe a lesser FA with a much improved lineup is much better to me than Jose, Salazar, Alvarez, etc with a lineup that is completely deprived of anything around Stanton for yet another year.

I would rather just get the best value in any trade.

Also, considering the injury risk with pitchers, I would actually rather sign bats than sign pitchers. Developing or trading for pitching isn't as expensive, so I don't see why it's a bad thing.

One nice thing about Carrasco is he's primarily a fastball/2 seamer/change pitcher and doesn't throw many curves/sliders. 

The chances of Ozuna staying in Miami long term are slim, considering the fact that he already rejected an extension and having Boras as his agent makes matters worst. If you have a chance to get a decent return, do it

We're just differing on what we would rather do this offseason.  Some of you would rather sign a hitter and I'm saying i'd rather trade for quality young bats that we can plug in our lineup for years and just sign a proven pitcher.  Its just a matter of preference.

The chances of Ozuna staying in Miami long term are slim, considering the fact that he already rejected an extension and having Boras as his agent makes matters worst. If you have a chance to get a decent return, do it

This right here is the one thing that will make me consider trading Ozuna.

We're just differing on what we would rather do this offseason.  Some of you would rather sign a hitter and I'm saying i'd rather trade for quality young bats that we can plug in our lineup for years and just sign a proven pitcher.  Its just a matter of preference.

I think we can all agree they need to do something on both fronts (SP and hitting) regardless. They need a big FA signing this off season whether it's a SP or hitter for sure. 

I like Guerrero fine enough but not sure fish have anything the doyers would want

If they miss out on Hamels it would be cool if we would be able to throw them Latos or give them back Haren and someone else to get him.  That guy is an impact bat that should be playing every day.  Especially once he figures out his equilibrium from the Olivo ear biting incident.

I think we can all agree they need to do something on both fronts (SP and hitting) regardless. They need a big FA signing this off season whether it's a SP or hitter for sure. 

Agreed.  After Upton though I just don't see anyone out there who is big enough to address what we need in our lineup.  Upton would be perfect though.

If they miss out on Hamels it would be cool if we would be able to throw them Latos or give them back Haren and someone else to get him.  That guy is an impact bat that should be playing every day.  Especially once he figures out his equilibrium from the Olivo ear biting incident.

Yeah Guerrero def needs full time abs. Doesn't he have some weird contract though where if he gets traded he becomes a FA?

Yeah Guerrero def needs full time abs. Doesn't he have some weird contract though where if he gets traded he becomes a FA?

I read this morning about that but I think it can be negotiated to not have that.  Im sure if he got the opportunity to play in a Cuban miami with full time ab's he might be acceptable to waive that.

If they do trade Ozuna, it's worth noting that Martin Prado was a gold glove caliber LF'er back in the day with the Braves. Not that that's what I want, but it would also be a way to get Dietrich's bat into the lineup at 3B.

Or maybe they just stick with Prado at 3B and give Dietrich a try in LF.

Either way, I hope they sign a bat in the offseason.