Marlins sign Wei-Yin Chen

Guest Vince0926

Culture of losing barometer goes from 73 wins to 78. Need more work to be done. Why are hand and Dunn still here and Ramos. Get rid of those 3 and I see 78 to 83.

Total guess but my honest opinion... Loria really wanted to stay cheap but he also really wanted to give Mattingly more to work with and with Ozuna not bringing the return they expected Loria just felt compelled to give the green light on a payroll increase specifically targeting starting pitching. Get the best FA pitcher left and overpay if you have to.

And if Loria overpayed I don't feel bad for him because he has the money to overpay when he wants to.

Meh, I think they're similar. He might be a bit better. It's not really a bad thing. Buehrle gave us 202.1 innings of 3.74 ERA. That's not bad. I think Chen's talent level is similar. Maybe ~3.5ish ERA. 

I think Chen can have a really great year or two hear (upper 2s/low 3s era). Their pitch repertoire is completely different and chen is much better at getting swinging strikes. Camden was not kind to Chen. He won't have a 1.4 HR/9 in the NL East/Marlins Park

I expect him to do what Mark Buehrle did here. 

Yep, mid 3 ERA with consistency and high innings pitched is exactly what I expected when I wanted to sign him. I expected the Marlins to back out given the high high high price tag for pitchers in this year's market but apparently with basically nobody else left now they're willing to overpay. Nice that they're doing the overpay now and not for Zimmermann >_>

Yep, mid 3 ERA with consistency and high innings pitched is exactly what I expected when I wanted to sign him. I expected the Marlins to back out given the high high high price tag for pitchers in this year's market but apparently with basically nobody else left now they're willing to overpay. Nice that they're doing the overpay now and not for Zimmermann >_>

marlins will most likely get 2.5 to 3.0 WAR outta chen (even more if that HR # comes down) which is hardly an overpay (per year at least)